Anyone have the Onkyo TX-NR595 or Pioneer Elite VSX-LX104 ?

psg

I am looking for a cheap 7.1 receiver with pre-outs for the front R&L mains. There's a YouTube review of the Onkyo that says the Zone 2 pre-outs can be used for external amplification of the Zone 1 front mains, but I don't see this anywhere in the manual.

I had the 515. Had zone 2 pre outs that I used connected to an amp, worked great. I know my Integra has the option to use either pre outs or rear surround as zone 2. Both options worked great, I think you should be fine. Any chance to get a picture of the back side?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

• 5 weeks later...

I have the Onkyo model, but I'm not sure exactly what you mean by pre-amp. It took me forever to actually get zone 2 working, because you HAVE to activate the zone 2 on your TV connected by eARC HDMI to the amp, but then you CAN'T get sound actually going to zone 2 over a digital connection. You have to use analogue input. 

I like this receiver a lot for the money (Costco had a deal on it for $400) but the drawbacks, for me anyway, seeing the issue there is with Zone 2 playback, is the limited way to make that happen. I use mostly Youtube music, but this device, even though it has wifi, does not have that google playback app as a built in feature. It has amazon, deezer, and some others, but not what I currently use. It also doesn't have built-in chromecast, which wouldn't be an issue (I can just plug in an external one in an HDMI slot) but the zone 2 won't play that because it is digital when I have to plug it in. I really need to be able to control music selection and volume when I'm outside listening to zone 2 and as of now, the only solution I have for doing that is using Airdroid on my phone to remote control an old phone I have hooked up to the analogue inputs on the receiver. It works, but it's clunky. If anyone can offer an alternative solution for me it would be much appreciated!

J