College Football 2021

EmilC

I enjoy college games more than pro games.  Having wrestled at Michigan State and earning a bachelor’s degree, I feel an affinity to Spartan teams that is missing with the Detroit Lions.  Living in Metro-Detroit is not the same as being a Spartan.

Similarly, I fail to understand the fanatacism toward a college team of those who did not at least attend the subject school.  Living in Michigan does not make you a Wolverine or Spartan.

The foregoing is merely my opinion.  I have no problem with those who paint their faces and devote all their free time and expendable cash to cheer for a school they did not attend, or root for a collection of millionaires.  

• Like 1

Hardly ever watch games, pros never

Watched most of the Bama v Florida game today

So much more enjoyable with the sound off.

We use to turn off the TV sound for the Redskins games when I was a kid and listen to the totally biased AM radio coverage, it was great.....

• Like 1

On 9/18/2021 at 10:28 PM, DizRotus said:

I enjoy college games more than pro games.  Having wrestled at Michigan State and earning a bachelor’s degree, I feel an affinity to Spartan teams that is missing with the Detroit lions.  Living in Metro-Detroit is not the same as being a Spartan.

Similarly, I fail to understand the fanatacism toward a college team of those who did not at least attend the subject school.  Living in Michigan does not make you a Wolverine or Spartan.

The foregoing is merely my opinion.  I have no problem with those who paint their faces and devote all their free time and expendable cash to cheer for a school they did not attend, or root for a collection of millionaires.  

Some state do not have a pro team so college football is it

For myself, I did not attend Penn State but my daughter did. That and writing out big checks to the school 3 times a year for 4 years did it for me 😀

• Like 2

13 hours ago, DizRotus said:

My Spartans scared me before beating the Huskers 23 to 20 in OT.  Next week the Hilltoppers of Western Kentucky.

Dave’s @Dave1291 Buckeyes came from behind to beat Zips . . . 59-7.

OT stinks, to me it means you can't get it done in an hour.

My Tigers, 2OTs? Stick a fork... don't think we will add to anything good this year to our recent good history.

• Like 1

Well, the Top 10 is going to get shaken up a little this week and I look forward to seeing it.  Clemson gets beat and the Razorbacks beating #7 A&M, for the first time in 9 years.  It's nice to see the Hogs be talked about again and have, what appears to be thus far, a good program.  I'm not a huge spots fan but it's always nice to see the Hogs make a showing and it's nice that it's, hopefully, this year as it's my daughters Senior year at the U of A.  Would be a nice way to leave there with an Honors College Summa Cum Laude graduation before going to Med School.  :)  (yeah, proud dad moment there)

• Like 3

On 9/25/2021 at 10:03 PM, DizRotus said:

My Spartans scared me before beating the Huskers 23 to 20 in OT.  Next week the Hilltoppers of Western Kentucky.

Dave’s @Dave1291 Buckeyes came from behind to beat Zips . . . 59-7.

I was at a concert this Saturday and wasn't able to watch.  Last update was beginning of second quarter at 0-0, I thought my Huskers had a chance.   These Huskers are getting close, however, it may not be close enough for a bowl game if they don't' get it together.  It may be the end for Frost if they don't, but we'll see. 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 9:44 AM, The Dude said:

...if they don't' get it together.  It may be the end for Frost if they don't, but we'll see. 

I expected Nebraska to do better under Frost.   But it has not come to be; still too many unnecessary mistakes.  If the Huskers fail to earn a bowl bid there will probably be an early Frost . . . exit in Lincoln.

20 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Nebraska

One of my friends was an exceptional football player. he played at Nebraska for a year then quit football.  he said that they just took all the fun out of playing and he realized that he wasn't willing to give what the program was asking ... eat, sleep, and drink football. He talked about two a days, chalk talks in the evening ... life was just nothing but football and while he liked football, he realized he didn't like it THAT much. 

• Like 1

Welllllll Neil...  Ugh!

Buckeyes didn't look too bad today but...  Could rebound a bit but the D is rebuilding w/a bunch of young players who have to step up FAST.  They're going to get seamed to death if they don't.  Just lost too many starters went to the NFL last year.  Who knows what will shake out this year.  The next 3 though?  Wowzer!  Don't want the same thing happening in 3-4 years though.  Factor in those 4-5 star players that might not play and hit the portal?  It'll sort.  Maybe.

Cincy w/a nice win over ND today was refreshing.  Coach Fickel is doing a great job recruiting and runnng the team.  Made my day when Drew Donley went there.  He's the son of Doug Donley aka White Lightening from the 73 & 74 Natl Champ teams.  Drew can flat FLY and is a great kid.  He's gonna be one to watch I think.  

Sparty looked good but should get better as the season progresses.

• Like 1

The Wolverines certainly ruined Barry Alvarez Day in Madison.

I very much enjoyed Cincy’s defeat of ND.  Have I mentioned how much I dislike Brian Kelly?

The Spartans should ban the coaches from the locker room at halftime.  Two weeks in a row, against Nebraska and Western Kentucky, MSU has clung to victory despite wilting in the second halves.

• Like 2