College Football 2021

EmilC

I'm sitting here watching OSU/Utah.  I watched Utah play twice this year ad thought they were a pretty quick and very good team.  Then we get them in Pasadena?  Turning into a major battle so who knows?  Lost all 4 linebackers last year and that's gotten us beat every time.  Here I go on a rant.  Time for some scotch.  :)

• Like 1

Had a tree fall across some power lines around 1:00 yesterday.  Power didn't come back on until something like 7:00.  I only have the last 90 minutes of the televised game recorded...BUT looked ahead on the menu to find that they were going to replay the game at something like 3:00 A.M. so I recorded it.  I actually woke up so watched the replay.  The replay was edited and all the chit/chat or useless plays were edited out in favor of the meaningful stuff.

The replay was 2-hours long.  

It was a fun game to watch with (in my mind) a good ending.  Much like today (warning:  Pro Football comment) when the Bengals played KC)  Just wow game.  I was totally expecting KC to get the ball back with a point deficit and 3 seconds on the clock....just enough time for Mahomes to throw a bomb and win it.  

However, in atypical Bengal style, it was a a very good game.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, EmilC said:

I sense that order will be restored in the Big10 next year.

On any given day...  Keep your eyes on the transfer portal.  Not just with OSU but with all the schools.  Ya get one shot to transfer out w/o losing eligibility and sitting out a year.  Kids are looking to walk in and play and that usually doesn't happen.  It'll sort.  Maybe.  :)

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Dave1291 said:

On any given day...  Keep your eyes on the transfer portal.  Not just with OSU but with all the schools.  Ya get one shot to transfer out w/o losing eligibility and sitting out a year.  Kids are looking to walk in and play and that usually doesn't happen.  It'll sort.  Maybe.  :)

Did that happen this year, the rule change? Used to be if the coach left you could transfer without losing year of eligibility right?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Travis In Austin said:

Did that happen this year, the rule change?

When the pay to play started this year.

2 minutes ago, Travis In Austin said:

Used to be if the coach left you could transfer without losing year of eligibility right?

Yes, and I don't think that has changed tbh.  It's possible but most changes were made due to the NCAA permitting players to make money.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, EmilC said:

I sense that order will be restored in the Big10 next year.

Ohio State winning the Big 10 EAST

First game for OSU this year was Oregon and they beat us @ home w/2 of their best D men injured.

First game in 2022 is Notre Dame who just hired a former Coach Marcus Freeman from Cincy who now has hired James Laurenitis who was nothing but an animal playing @ OSU and continued that in the NFL.  Think ND doesn't want the win?  I never was a fan of Brian Kelly but he's gone to LSU and it seems that ND is going to take their game to a new level.  

James is a great guy and one heck of a person.  

James Richard Laurinaitis (born December 3, 1986) is a former American football linebacker who played for the St. Louis Rams and New Orleans Saints of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Ohio State, where he was a three-time consensus All-American and won numerous awards. He was drafted by the Rams in the second round of the 2009 NFL Draft.

Nice link to Freeman's info:  https://www.ndinsider.com/story/sports/football/2021/12/04/marcus-freemans-journey-become-head-football-coach-notre-dame/8857620002/

Wanna talk ticket prices for that game?  

• Moderators
59 minutes ago, Dave1291 said:

When the pay to play started this year.

Yes, and I don't think that has changed tbh.  It's possible but most changes were made due to the NCAA permitting players to make money.

There needs to be a graduation rate incentive. It's going to plummet. But if you have a rate above XX percent you get X more scholarships to give, etc. 

Notre Dame, Navy, Rice, Stanford , etc. are always up at the very, very top. USC, WSU, Texas at the bottom. 

• Like 3

College football is truly no more.   What's left is a minor league to the NFL...Players and coaches have free agency especially the players with the transfer portal.   Players are paid via the Name Image Likeness (NIL) so they are not really playing for the honor and the glory of the school - it's also about the $$$ and getting to the NFL.   

It's nothing more than a big business that the schools profit off of.     

And for the most part - of course there are a few exceptions - it's not about academics for the players, even though the schools brag about graduation  --- ask yourself - what were the classes that most of the premier players attended ?

It's the fans that are loyal and pay the bills in one way or another  .... but in reality college football is a way of getting premier athletes ready to try out for the NFL   --- and academics for the most part is general studies...

Carry on .... 

10 hours ago, Guest Vahorns said:

College football is truly no more.   What's left is a minor league to the NFL...Players and coaches have free agency especially the players with the transfer portal.   Players are paid via the Name Image Likeness (NIL) so they are not really playing for the honor and the glory of the school - it's also about the $$$ and getting to the NFL.   

It's nothing more than a big business that the schools profit off of.     

And for the most part - of course there are a few exceptions - it's not about academics for the players, even though the schools brag about graduation  --- ask yourself - what were the classes that most of the premier players attended ?

It's the fans that are loyal and pay the bills in one way or another  .... but in reality college football is a way of getting premier athletes ready to try out for the NFL   --- and academics for the most part is general studies...

Carry on .... 

Everything you say is true and I'm OK with it for as long as:

1) Many of the players would not be accepted to the universities they attend on academics alone so the University must ensure that the players leave the university better educated than when they arrived.

It also gives many players the opportunity to leave their hometowns and experience college life. 

No one is being hoodwinked here. The University and scholarshipped player know exactly what the deal is.

2) The millions made by  the University must be filtered down to fund sports such as fencing, swimming, etc.

I believe this already being done

3) Some monies must be directed to the schools academics , infrastructure, research and controlling tuition costs

Look at Penn State for example. I'm only familiar with it because my daughter went there.

There was really nothing between Pittsburg and Philadelphia until State College and Penn State became what it is today. Why? Football.

State College, for it's residents and those in surrounding towns, is the center and cause for everything. Entertainment, education, employment, shopping, healthcare 

Just visit the schools that have big football programs. They are beautiful

my two cents

• Like 2