Forte I Receiver Recommendations - Modern or Vintage

DougM

Whelp, sent the Outlaw back. May have been too much power for the Fortes. I found myself messing with the bass control and eq boost too much and not really enjoying the music. 

Going to take willands' advice to try a Denon and have a PMA-600NE on the way. Still wish it had FM radio but reckon I could stash a tuner somewhere.

In the meantime I found an HK 430 sold for parts in Dallas last week that I just dropped off at the shop for a diagnostic, and I'm still keeping my eye out for a Sansui 881 because apparently I have issues.

Edited by DougM

1 hour ago, absolve2525 said:

Lol what happened with the 881 you showed pics of? Sansui rocks 

Seller wouldn't go lower than $650 cash. I averaged out the last 8 that sold on ebay to $538 shipping included.   

He said it was throughly cleaned and checked to spec with some fuses replaced. I may have gone for it had it been at a local shop here... didn't help that the seller name on the reverb listing was "Two Crooks Media".

Anyway, it was listed there for $850 and is gone now... he may have gotten it so good for him. $650 was close enough to the price of the Outlaw I figured I'd give it a shot to see if I could hear any difference from the additional 50 years of technological innovation.

2 hours ago, DougM said:

Whelp, sent the Outlaw back. May have been too much power for the Fortes. I found myself messing with the bass control and eq boost too much and not really enjoying the music. 

Going to take willands' advice to try a Denon and have a PMA-600NE on the way. Still wish it had FM radio but reckon I could stash a tuner somewhere.

In the meantime I found an HK 430 sold for parts in Dallas last week that I just dropped off at the shop for a diagnostic, and I'm still keeping my eye out for a Sansui 881 because apparently I have issues.

Wow, first person that I have heard of that didn't like the Outlaw.  Sorry to hear this. 

1 minute ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Wow, first person that I have heard of that didn't like the Outlaw.  Sorry to hear this. 

To be fair I'd still recommend it, but maybe not for first generation Fortes.

I started out trying to get the most out of these speakers, and then realized I was researching new speakers to get the most out of my new receiver...

I'm curious about connecting a tube amp (MP-301 MK3) to the pre-out on the SX-727.

Would the tube amp get the straight line level signal from the inputs running into the Pioneer? Or will it have the 'Pioneer sound' flavored in there?

Would that bypass the phono preamp? 

5 hours ago, DougM said:

I'm curious about connecting a tube amp (MP-301 MK3) to the pre-out on the SX-727.

Would the tube amp get the straight line level signal from the inputs running into the Pioneer? Or will it have the 'Pioneer sound' flavored in there?

Would that bypass the phono preamp? 

Note the jumpers on the back. When you remove the jumpers, you are removing the amp portion. The pre out will variable out, not straight line out. The pre out will send whatever is selected as the input including the phono section. 

My R-117 is back after a long visit, but thorough update... running my Heresy (modified) with it... still my favourite over... 2 different Denon AVR, Parasound A23, Akai AM-2850(close call on this one) and cheap chip amps. 

Love the Luxman so much I purchased a second one and will be looking for a third to run all my HT.

I have run my Forte 1’s with a lot of receivers and amps. 
currently my shop pioneer sx1050, original non rebuilt is my favorite. Close second is ( dont laugh ) a minty little Sansui 2000a. It’s warm and tight bottom end, smooth mids and firm perky highs tickle the right spots. Runner up to that is a nice little Sansui G3000. Also tried a kenwood eleven III but that was too heavy on the low end. My Sansui AU717 is in the process of a rebuild so It will be a few months before I finish it and give it a try. Good luck in the hunt.

• 3 weeks later...

I have owned a Fisher 800C since the mid 1990s. I switch between it and a Sansui AU-999. Recently I had the 800c refurbished and modded by AEA Audio. After that no speaker sounded good enough, so I picked up my first pair of Klipsches- Forte I's. Absolute bliss. I've played live music since 1980 and now truly see why these are such celebrated speakers among musicians! Of course I'm hooked now and watching the classy's for Cornwall and La Scala deals lol, but these Fortes are perfect with the tube amp 

• Like 1

I run my Forte 1's with my Pioneer SX-1980 driving the woofers and my Dynaco ST-70 driving the mids & tweeters.  I also wired my Dynaco tube pre-amp bypassing the SS pre-amp in my Pioneer.

I get the warmth of the tube sound for the mids & highs and the chest thumping bass from the SS amp.

My Forte and Rega Mira 3 is a smoking combo. Rega's analogue warmth and British PRaT compliments the dynamic airy sound of the Forte. Not a receiver but a beautiful valve sounding British amp that can be had for a great price.

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the PMA-600NE with the Fortes digitally connected to my cd player or the Belkin Soundform Connect for Airplay 2/Apple Lossless streaming. I'm not thrilled with the phono section though.

I may audition a Marantz PM6007.

I spent a little to have the HK 430 fixed up and holy shit that thing can shake the house with the Fortes. I do wish it had more inputs. I still think I prefer (or am more used to) the phono section on the SX-727. 

Edited by DougM
  • Like 1

The 727 is a lovely piece. Has it been updated? If not what you like about it with the Fortes might very well have to do with that. The 730 probably needs several more hours of breaking in with its restore as it is basically a new piece.I have never heard one that I thought at all harsh on any speaker I’ve owned. 

Have you considered an older tube piece? I don’t know you’re budget but something like a restored Fisher tube receiver(400 comes to mind) or similar  would be an excellent match with the Fortes. But more expensive then what you’re looking at probably. 

But again that 727 is a really nice receiver and you might just stick with it. 

On 12/19/2021 at 3:15 PM, PrishPreen said:

I have owned a Fisher 800C since the mid 1990s. I switch between it and a Sansui AU-999. Recently I had the 800c refurbished and modded by AEA Audio. After that no speaker sounded good enough, so I picked up my first pair of Klipsches- Forte I's. Absolute bliss. I've played live music since 1980 and now truly see why these are such celebrated speakers among musicians! Of course I'm hooked now and watching the classy's for Cornwall and La Scala deals lol, but these Fortes are perfect with the tube amp 

Exactly. 😆