If you ever needed more evidence that we are living in a Bizzaro world right now...

Schu

If you ever needed more evidence that we are living in a Bizzaro world right now... Sirhan Sirhan is being released from prison.

More than 50 years after he carried out one of the most infamous political assassinations in American history, the man who gunned down Robert F. Kennedy was recommended for parole in California.

Sirhan Sirhan — who was 24 when he shot and killed the senator at a Los Angeles hotel in 1968 — was deemed suitable for release by a two-person parole panel Friday afternoon, the first step toward making him a free man. The panel reached its decision, in part, after two of Kennedy's children expressed support for Sirhan's release.

Sirhan, a Palestinian immigrant who had written a manifesto calling for Kennedy's death, had said he was drunk and doesn't remember opening fire at the since-demolished Ambassador Hotel on Wilshire Boulevard.

Kennedy was considered a leading candidate for president and had just won primaries in South Dakota and California at the time of his death. He was murdered nearly five years after his brother, President John F. Kennedy, was shot and killed in Dallas.

Sirhan, now 77, admitted to the killing in 1969 and has been in prison for 53 years. He originally faced the death penalty but his sentence was commuted to life after the state briefly outlawed capital punishment in the 1970s.

• Sad 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, richieb said:

I’m sure this will go political quickly but when considering the stance of the LA DA regarding crime, criminality, parole and a general “look the other way” attitude then no, not surprised in the least. I mean it’s LA for gawds sake —

The parole system is seperate and apart from County prosecutors. 

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

Neither one of these has anything to do with the actual subject issue.  77 years old, 53 years in prison.  How much more do you want to wring out of this person?  

I am SO GLAD 

14573.jpg

[You two are not allowed to reply to each other, nor allowed to post in a thread started by the other, for this very reason]

• Moderators

"Two of Kennedy's children submitted letters on Sirhan's behalf. Robert F. Kennedy Jr. — who has previously expressed doubt about Sirhan's guilt and echoed others' claims that a second gunman actually killed the senator — said he believed his father might extend mercy to Sirhan.

“While nobody can speak definitively on behalf of my father, I firmly believe that based on his own consuming commitment to fairness and justice, that he would strongly encourage this board to release Mr. Sirhan because of Sirhan’s impressive record of rehabilitation," Kennedy Jr. wrote in a letter submitted in advance of Friday's hearing.

In an interview with The Times late Friday, Kennedy Jr. said he was "very happy" Sirhan had been recommended for release and reiterated concerns that the wrong man was convicted.

2 hours ago, Schu said:

it's not over yet ------

State of play: The decision will be reviewed by staff of the California Parole Board within 90 days. It will then go to the governor who will have 30 days to officially grant the parole, modify it or reverse it, per AP.

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Schu said:

he was sentenced to death originally...

So was Manson, the US Supreme Court struck down the death penalty and all death penalty convictions is states that didn't bifurcate penalty phase were automatically commuted to life with parole, which at the time in California was I think maybe after 25 years you were eligible for review.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, RandyH said:

it's not over yet ------

State of play: The decision will be reviewed by staff of the California Parole Board within 90 days. It will then go to the governor who will have 30 days to officially grant the parole, modify it or reverse it, per AP.

That had better not get us into politics.

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, dwilawyer said:

In an interview with The Times late Friday, Kennedy Jr. said he was "very happy" Sirhan had been recommended for release and reiterated concerns that the wrong man was convicted.

So that is a completely different twist.

I didn't realize that there was some sort of evidence of 2nd gunman, and this was postured, at some point, as a wrongful conviction case. Would be interesting to read the state and federal writs on that to see if there was anything to this besides the entrance wound location.

Now I am remembering that Rosie Grier either spoke or wrote about this.

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, RandyH said:

Kerry K. apparently posted this on Twitter after the decision. Not too smart, but that could change things dramatically.

In the Manson case, family members were typically in person, and spoke at every parole hearing, as well as the Chief Prosecutor on the case.