Jump to content

If you ever needed more evidence that we are living in a Bizzaro world right now...


Schu
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, babadono said:

who knows how different history might be had he not succeeded

 

The odds were that RFK would have been elected President.  Likely, but, of course, by no means certain, results of RFK being neither killed nor wounded badly:

  • No riot in Chicago during the Democratic Convention
  • Nixon not being elected
  • A much earlier withdrawal from Vietnam
  • More funds put into social programs
  • No Watergate
  • Conceivably, a different group of Presidents, and others, including members of SCOTUS.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/28/2021 at 9:58 AM, Schu said:

Sirhan, now 77, admitted to the killing in 1969 and has been in prison for 53 years. He originally faced the death penalty but his sentence was commuted to life after the state briefly outlawed capital punishment in the 1970s.

My retired Detroit Detective Sgt./Photographer Friend went to China on a Law Enforcement exchange excursion to Japan, Singapore, and China where he met the Chief Justice of China. He and other US representatives sat in on a Murder Trial with irrefutable evidence against the perpetrator. A guilty verdict immediately resulted in Death by a Firing Squad out the back door. Done..................Next!

 

Think of all the FOOD and money and time wasted would have been saved if Sirhan Sirhan, Charles Manson, etc. were treated the same. What's this Sirhan gonna do for the next few years he has left...........hide?

 

Death penalty guarantees the perp will never kill again, saves money, and gives the families True Justice.........................Like John Belushi used to say......BUT NO!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

He and other US representatives sat in on a Murder Trial with irrefutable evidence against the perpetrator. A guilty verdict immediately resulted in Death by a Firing Squad out the back door. Done..................Next!

 

We have never seen a situation where cops lied, judges were on the take and eye witnesses' were coerced, mistaken or simply betrayed by their eyes, have we?

 

SUBJECTS:    Justice

AUTHOR:    Benjamin Franklin (1706–90)


QUOTATION:    That it is better 100 guilty Persons should escape than that one innocent Person should suffer, is a Maxim that has been long and generally approved.

 

ATTRIBUTION:    BENJAMIN FRANKLIN, letter to Benjamin Vaughan, March 14, 1785.—The Writings of Benjamin Franklin, ed. Albert H. Smyth, vol. 9, p. 293 (1906).

  He was echoing Voltaire, “that generous Maxim, that ’tis much more Prudence to acquit two Persons, tho’ actually guilty, than to pass Sentence of Condemnation on one that is virtuous and innocent.—Zadig, chapter 6, p. 53 (1749, reprinted 1974).

 

  Sir William Blackstone, in his Commentaries on the Laws of England, 9th ed., book 4, chapter 27, p. 358 (1783, reprinted 1978), says, “For the law holds, that it is better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm opposed to the death penalty because I don't believe in an afterlife so I prefer that people guilty of first degree murder spend a very miserable life in jail. It's their only chance at spending time in hell. If they were wrongfully convicted there is still a chance for that mistake to be corrected, that's another reason I'm opposed to executing people.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, wetowne said:

I'm opposed to the death penalty because I don't believe in an afterlife so I prefer that people guilty of first degree murder spend a very miserable life in jail. It's their only chance at spending time in hell. If they were wrongfully convicted there is still a chance for that mistake to be corrected, that's another reason I'm opposed to executing people.

It just costs taxpayers too much money for murderers. Quid Pro Quo. There are plenty of other crimes that require less jail time. Life in prison for murder is not very logical.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, garyrc said:

 

The odds were that RFK would have been elected President.  Likely, but, of course, by no means certain, results of RFK being neither killed nor wounded badly:

  • No riot in Chicago during the Democratic Convention
  • Nixon not being elected
  • A much earlier withdrawal from Vietnam
  • More funds put into social programs
  • No Watergate
  • Conceivably, a different group of Presidents, and others, including members of SCOTUS.

Every moment, every action changes every other resulting later moment and action. It definitely would be a different world today. That is why travel back in time is NOT possible.

I remember what RFK said(but I think he stole it from someone - George Bernard Shaw) " Some men see things as they are, and say why. I dream of things that never were, and say why not."

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Like Morgen Freeman said in Shawshank Redemption "Rehabilitation ? is just a made up word".  Having had good Commander-in-Chiefs and bad Commander-in-Chiefs.  Legal issues that I agree with and ones that I do not agree with.  Hands down I would not live anywhere else that the U.S.A. and always remember my enlistment vows never expire.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/28/2021 at 8:58 AM, Schu said:

If you ever needed more evidence that we are living in a Bizzaro world right now... Sirhan Sirhan is being released from prison.

 

More than 50 years after he carried out one of the most infamous political assassinations in American history, the man who gunned down Robert F. Kennedy was recommended for parole in California.

Sirhan Sirhan — who was 24 when he shot and killed the senator at a Los Angeles hotel in 1968 — was deemed suitable for release by a two-person parole panel Friday afternoon, the first step toward making him a free man. The panel reached its decision, in part, after two of Kennedy's children expressed support for Sirhan's release.

Sirhan, a Palestinian immigrant who had written a manifesto calling for Kennedy's death, had said he was drunk and doesn't remember opening fire at the since-demolished Ambassador Hotel on Wilshire Boulevard.

Kennedy was considered a leading candidate for president and had just won primaries in South Dakota and California at the time of his death. He was murdered nearly five years after his brother, President John F. Kennedy, was shot and killed in Dallas.

 

Sirhan, now 77, admitted to the killing in 1969 and has been in prison for 53 years. He originally faced the death penalty but his sentence was commuted to life after the state briefly outlawed capital punishment in the 1970s.

 

 

 

It is my understanding that Bobby's own children submitted letters on his (Sirhan) behalf...... and if that wasn't enough, then consider the person "Bobby Kennedy", what's the problem?  It's not like he was somebody other than a rich brat who was slingshot to the position of AG by his nepotist, womanizing  cheat brother.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In my opinion, life in prison is a sick joke. Putting aside wrongful conviction for a moment. Life in prison is not justice, it is a waste of time & resources. In addition, the angst that the men and women have to go through to work at these facilities and then try and go home to have a normal life each day. Yes, everyone has a choice of profession. 

 

Our justice system needs serious reform no doubt. I support all law enforcement for the record, but some agencies do need to have better training. 

 

When I was in Kuwait in 2003 with the US Army Reserve, a local man raped and killed a Filipino service worker. He was sentenced to death in a matter of days. He was to be placed at the top of a precipice with a hood over his head and pushed off. If he survived that, he was to be shot by a firing squad. I can sleep at night with that. 

 

I'm not religious (at all), but know many of you are. An "eye for an eye", is my belief. There is only one way to combat violence, with greater violence. People who are truly evil such as terrorist or serial killers welcome a US prison or places like GITMO. They are laughing at us. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Curious_George said:

Life in prison is not justice, it is a waste of time & resources.

I prefer that murderers should live a long and miserable life in prison.
I only wish they could be put in liquid filled pods ala "The Matrix" and be given a simulated reality life full of incredible pain and suffering and be kept in that state for as long as possible. I'd pay extra in my tax bill for that.   Execution just makes it cheap and easy for everyone involved, including the murderer.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, wetowne said:

I only wish they could be put in liquid filled pods ala "The Matrix" and be given a simulated reality life full of incredible pain and suffering and be kept in that state for as long as possible. I'd pay extra in my tax bill for that.   Execution just makes it cheap and easy for everyone involved, including the murderer.
 

 

Or like the original Superman movie / comics, they couldn't bring themselves to kill anyone one, but would condemn you to the Phantom Zone or real rehabilitation such as in Demolition Man.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...