Bar 48 No-Power Repair Thread

SixerFixer

On 11/8/2021 at 11:18 AM, SixerFixer said:

Use a multimeter to validate which are the 5V and 24V outputs, then I connected GND to the 5V -, and VDD and STB together to 5V +.

So you connected the GND to the 5V - and the VDD & STB to the 5V + but what do you plug to the 24V output? 

I did want add something to my first post.

while the fix did work, I was on the phone the same day after the fix and started to get a tremendous buzzing noise coming from one of my surround speakers. I had to unplug. Any thoughts as to why this might be happening?

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, JoseP said:

Unfortunately my Klipsch 48 bar is still not powering on after replaced the power supply unit. Initially I mistakenly swapped + and  - while connecting 5V. Would that might have caused any problem?

Thanks, Jose

Hello, if unit was on while swapping sure, you could have blown a fuse. Thanks!

@JoseP

2 hours ago, billybob said:

Well if it is not the fuse, see what Klipsch says troubleshooting through their motions. Plenty here just do a search here and and on google on the bar 48...

I don't think much can be done without a lot of troubleshooting. You can't fix something until you know where it is broken.

Even Klipsch doesn't attempt these repairs. They just provide a whole replacement, if the unit is still within the warranty period.

I wouldn't count on much support from Klipsch on this one.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JoseP said:

At this point I'm not sure if it's the fuse or something else. Will start with the fuse I reckon. Any ideas on how to locate, check and fix the fuse? Sorry, I'm not an electronics expert.

Sorry, @JoseP

I haven't done any hardware repairs myself. I'm not familiar with the internals.

• Like 1

Let me get this straight.

To fix these units you guys are buying different power supply boards instead of fixing the one that's already in them? I suppose if you don't have the tools and knowledge to troubleshoot the broken one I have to say this is a pretty ingenious method albeit more expensive.

The reason I think this is so amazing is that instead of more stuff heading to the landfill people are diy'ing a solution to get their gear up and running again. It shows that with some fortitude your average Joe can fix their own amplifier if willing - well and has a basic understanding of electronics and knows how to solder.

Awesome thread!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ordered my power supply off eBay and followed the instructions. My Cinema 600 came back to life. Wish Klipsch sold these power supplies as replacement parts. Mine original one only lasted 1 year.

Edited by Jaya
needed to specify model

Hi everyone, I too like fixing stuff rather than chucking it away. I also believe that modern electronics are built to fail, that's why I like older cars!!

Anyway I have been following this tread since before Christmas and thought "well it seems that easy that I'll just get the power supply". That arrived last week and following SixerFixer's instructions I got it all done. I thought that it had worked as I saw the power light on the bench but after putting it back in it place..... nothing. It's a bar 48.

So my original board had NO power to it at all after testing (240v was there) no 24v no 5v. With the new power supply that I sourced from ebay the power is there for about 2 secs. The 24v is fine the 5v will only stay on initially then drops to 2,3v. I f disconnect the 5v then power remains at 5v as soon as I reconnect it it drops to 2.3v. This is telling me that something else has failed but I have no idea what. Can someone point me to what it could be? I don't really understand electronics, I do known how to solder well and follow instructions though! When I was a teenager (Mid 1970's) I worked for Orange Music(UK) wiring speakers and amplifiers.  Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...