Anyone using a DDC with their Dac

Fido

I just picked up a Denefrips Hermès DDC connected with a i2s cable to my Denefrips Pontus DAC. I am getting files from my Node 2i. I have never heard a digital music stream sound as close to analog with such great separation of voices and instruments. Bass is deep an clean and midrange very clean and rich. Anyone else her with experience using a DDC in their systems?

• Like 1

a digital to digital converter in addition to a digital to analog converter?

does it use filters or is it merely a reclocker?

I am wondering how much of that improvement is actually owe to the i2s which is a superb interconnect.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Schu said:

a digital to digital converter in addition to a digital to analog converter?

does it use filters or is it merely a reclocker?

I am wondering how much of that improvement is actually owe to the i2s which is a superb interconnect.

It is a reclocker and I think a lot probably has to do with the i2s interconnect --- but no matter what it actually does or the i2s cable does It appears to make a significant difference in the way my system sounds from my Node 2i to my Pontus to my PL - Bass is better and the clarity appears much better without the sheen or glare I can't stand to listen to. I was surprised how good it sounds with the addition of the Hermes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I just picked up a Denafrips Gaia to go with my Terminator II DAC. I'm still waiting on the BNC clock cables to arrive, but running I2S 'unclocked' is a nice improvement over the standard USB. However, I'm using a Sonic Transporter i5 music server with a Sonore UltraRendu. The Gaia is replacing the Sonore UltraDigital, and to be honest, at this point without the clock cables, there isn't a real noticeable difference. Hopefully the clock cables will make the difference in cost between the Gaia and UltraDigital worth the money.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, rooze said:

Hi,

I just picked up a Denafrips Gaia to go with my Terminator II DAC. I'm still waiting on the BNC clock cables to arrive, but running I2S 'unclocked' is a nice improvement over the standard USB. However, I'm using a Sonic Transporter i5 music server with a Sonore UltraRendu. The Gaia is replacing the Sonore UltraDigital, and to be honest, at this point without the clock cables, there isn't a real noticeable difference. Hopefully the clock cables will make the difference in cost between the Gaia and UltraDigital worth the money.

How good does the terminator ii DAC sound? The Pontus sounds awesome but I’m always interested in getting the most out of my system and that terminator ii is probably a game changer.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2021 at 8:16 AM, Fido said:

How good does the terminator ii DAC sound? The Pontus sounds awesome but I’m always interested in getting the most out of my system and that terminator ii is probably a game changer.

It's excellent, IMHO. I'm really more of an analog guy, using a good quality TT and phonostage (Dr. Feickert Woodpecker / Manley Steelhead). Since moving from a SimAudio Moon 380D DAC to the T2, I've increased my digital listening time to around 70:30 in favor of digital. With a standard USB input, there's an abundance of warmth at the expense of some detail and transparency, with the Gaia, the balance becomes perfect for my tastes. 

Denafrips-Terminator-and-Gaia.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/13/2021 at 1:33 PM, rooze said:

It's excellent, IMHO. I'm really more of an analog guy, using a good quality TT and phonostage (Dr. Feickert Woodpecker / Manley Steelhead). Since moving from a SimAudio Moon 380D DAC to the T2, I've increased my digital listening time to around 70:30 in favor of digital. With a standard USB input, there's an abundance of warmth at the expense of some detail and transparency, with the Gaia, the balance becomes perfect for my tastes. 

Denafrips-Terminator-and-Gaia.jpg

Denefrips makes some great audio gear. My Hermès and Pontus with the node 2i has me listening at least 80/20 to streaming over my analog gear. I need to hear a terminator

• Like 1

On 8/28/2021 at 9:28 PM, Fido said:

I just picked up a Denefrips Hermès DDC connected with a i2s cable to my Denefrips Pontus DAC. I am getting files from my Node 2i. I have never heard a digital music stream sound as close to analog with such great separation of voices and instruments. Bass is deep an clean and midrange very clean and rich. Anyone else her with experience using a DDC in their systems?

I'm kinda lost on this, can you elaborate? Are you using digital coax out of the node 2i to the Denafrips DDC, then i2s (HDMI) out to another device? 

10 minutes ago, dtr20 said:

I'm kinda lost on this, can you elaborate? Are you using digital coax out of the node 2i to the Denafrips DDC, then i2s (HDMI) out to another device? 

Yes the Node goes coax out to the Hermès DDC and the Hermès goes i2s to the Denefrips Pontus. The Hermès is a reclocker that sends a better signal to the DAC and the i2s from the Hermès is a better signal than the usb out of the Node. Hearing is believing.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, dtr20 said:

I don't deny it, just wasn't exactly sure what was going on. I have never heard of those brands before, I'll look into them. I love my node 2I. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

The Denefrips Dacs are R2R ladder dacs and they are very highly rated and my Pontus has changed the way I listen to music. I’m an analog vinyl person but the Pontus is so close to my analog sound it is a game changer. Takes the Node 2i to a higher level.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/10/2021 at 3:38 PM, rooze said:

Hi,

Im interested in the Gaia to go with my Terminator 2.  What are “BNC clock cables”? Do most go single I2S cable from Gaia to Dac? I’m confused about the terminology.

thanks, Ted

• Like 1

On 8/29/2021 at 9:10 PM, Fido said:

...I think a lot probably has to do with the i2s interconnect --- but no matter what it actually does or the i2s cable does It appears to make a significant difference in the way my system sounds ...

While I cannot comment on the DDC to DC, my use of the i2s cable/input from CD to DAC made a significant improvement to the clarity of sound. Music is now precise (but not cold & analytical). 

Mike

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@Fido @rooze I have a Denafrips Gaia on the way to connect to my Venus II. I've watched Alvins video on I2s and read the online text. What HDMI cable(s) are you both running. I want to make this a painless as possible when the Gaia arrives so if you have cables that worked with minimal configuration issues pleas pass them on.

Thanks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rplace said:

@Fido @rooze I have a Denafrips Gaia on the way to connect to my Venus II. I've watched Alvins video on I2s and read the online text. What HDMI cable(s) are you both running. I want to make this a painless as possible when the Gaia arrives so if you have cables that worked with minimal configuration issues pleas pass them on.

Thanks!

BJC Series-FE Bonded-Pair High-Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet, 3 Foot, Black

I have used a lot of BJC cables in my 2 channel and HT setups and have never been dissatisfied yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am following this thread with interest. I have had a Pontus II for about two weeks now and I'm extremely happy with it. Alvin seems to think that since I'm using the balanced output of a Lumin streamer into the Pontus that I might not benefit very much from a DDC. I was considering that my next upgrade would be a Hermes or a Venus II. Still not sure which way I'll go, but I'm content to just live with the Pontus right now.

What mode do you Denafrips users prefer? NOS or OS?

Shakey

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

I am following this thread with interest. I have had a Pontus II for about two weeks now and I'm extremely happy with it. Alvin seems to think that since I'm using the balanced output of a Lumin streamer into the Pontus that I might not benefit very much from a DDC. I was considering that my next upgrade would be a Hermes or a Venus II. Still not sure which way I'll go, but I'm content to just live with the Pontus right now.

What mode do you Denafrips users prefer? NOS or OS?

Shakey

I can't clearly say which mode I prefer but my Pontus is usually run in NOS mode. I really can't hear any differences. Maybe my brain isn't trained to differentiate to hear such subtle differences or know what I am supposed to be hearing or not hearing.

• Like 1

For the first couple of days I thought NOS sounded best. I've owned two other NOS DACs in the past so I know I like that presentation. But as the Pontus continues to break in I find myself liking the OS (slow filter) better. Its seems to be just as organic and natural sounding, but more vibrant and detailed. But at the same time, not a hint of brightness.

• Like 1

I also recently picked up a Pontus II since one came up for sale locally. I already have an Ares II, and love it, but was always curious about the next step up. For the Ares II, I prefer OS Slow. For the Pontus II, I’m still toggling back and forth between modes, and they both sound great to me. Hard to pick.

I have older LaScalas, and when I saw this review from a guy who owns the new LaScalas, it convinced me to move up to the Pontus II. If you haven’t seen it yet, it’s well done. He also talks about how he much prefers NOS mode.

https://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2021/10/10/the-denafrips-pontus-ii-dac-review/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2021 at 7:13 AM, Shakeydeal said:

I am following this thread with interest

Initial impression is positive. A couple of listening sessions. One with very familiar music and one where I concentrated specifically on High Rez DSD files. With the familiar files it appears to have some more detail without adding edge/etch. Seems to me as if single instruments/details are more individualized or localized in space. That said it is not jaw dropping, huge difference, must experience or pick your overused phrase. It also seem to be me as if I can detect differences (improvements maybe) in better recordings and higher resolution files more than run of the mill tracks. On several average recordings I don't notice much/any difference. I'd say if you have the spare cash handy and want a new piece of gear, it is worth finding out for yourself. I don't think I'd go into debt or sell a kidney to acquire one. I don't think I'd sell a piece of gear I already love to get one.

I'm hoping as I have longer to live with it I notice more enjoyment/improvements. That happened to me with the Aries II to Venus II switch. Initially, I did not think there was a difference that justified the price. As I've spent a year with the Venus II, I'm very happy I made the move.

A/B-ed a few tracks with Gaia/Venus combo vs vinyl and I think I'm getting to the point where the format matters less and less and it is simply which version/mastering is best. At least 75% of my music there is a negligible difference. As digital goes I'm happy on two fronts:

1) I started way late in the game with a serious set up. No chasing things and burning through cash for the last 10+ years.

2) I did make the attempt to see if a digital configuration could compete with my well synergized vinyl rig. I think these days with the right equipment either is a valid choice...but why choose, have both.

A while back I swapped out my Audio Nirvana drivers for my Voxativ drivers. Having dedicated baffles and pre-programmed XO configurations for both in my Xillica makes it like having two speakers for the price of three 😉 That was much more of a difference.

Resize_20211218_113442_2404.thumb.jpg.5a392211391a9a7f2f77d5514fd1b23f.jpg

• Like 1