Thoughts on used Yamaha Amps

AndreG.

I´ve been thinking for a while now. I would like to retire my old Pioneer SX 304 in our dining room.

At the moment there are two Yamahas on Ebay that might be options:

• AX 396    about 118$

• AX 570    about 83$

They will drive a pair of R15m plus sub and are more for ambient music than serious listening. Although, if i like what i hear, i might experiment and hook it up to my Heresies.

Opinions from the forum?

What year would those amplifiers be from?  Yamaha makes very good gear, but their engineers continue to improve it over time.  When I replaced my 1977 CR-1020 with a 1998 RX-V392, even though the 392 was the entry level bottom-of-the-line model, the sound quality and clarity was greatly improved.  Since then, I've upgraded again, and every time (RX-V392 -> RX-V750 -> RX-A2060) there was a noticeable improvement in the sound. 

If you're not in a hurry, I'd suggest that you continue to look, to see if some newer and better Yamaha amplifiers show up for sale, since newer units should sound better and be more reliable.  Buying the least expensive unit that you can find is one way to go, but then you may find that you'd like to upgrade your system, meaning you have to go to the bother of selling the ~ $100 amp and then buying another, more expensive, one.  Why not get a fairly good unit now or in the near future, when prices may be low?  

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

IMG_20211021_121006.thumb.jpg.cdfcc1ee713db4966ce8ed44060f6752.jpg

These speaker relais in my Yamaha give me some trouble lately, i have to push the appropriate speaker select button a few times to make the left speaker work on the A channel and for the right one on the B channel. I already gave the buttons a spray of contact-cleaner. Do you think it might be feasible to drill a little hole in them to get some de-oxifier inside?

• Like 2

Clean the contacts on the switch

Replace the relay

Clean the speaker connectors

Ensure the speaker wires are secure in the connectors, powered off

Inspect the bottom of the board for bad solder joints, shorts

Next would be check the pre amp section or have a tech check it

Then move on to the amp section

Weak transistors will sometimes fade in out

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That is abit where I am at with mine. There are in alot of some YouTube videos some that are either replacing the entire relay switch. To get at it properly to clean, some desolder the switch. The contacts in the relay is what they are cleaning.

The top cover of the switch if can be removed easily enough, without damaging for access to the contacts. Problem is, there are resistors, etc., In close quarters around the switch, which can be damaged if attempting with out caution.

So, yes, if can sell a small hole in top of switch, without plastic debris falling into the switch, further complicating contact operation in relay, would look closely and possibly be able to directly insert small plastic straw onto the contact portion. Cycle switch while light spray several times.

And after all this to consider, whatever method used to clean, no guarantee it will fix or help problem.

Measuring the voltage level operating the switch may well come into it. It gets more involved as well.

Maybe bubo will say.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndreG. said:

Do you think it might be feasible to drill a little hole in them to get some de-oxifier inside?

drill holes no ,clean the switch  100%    -

-  if that does not get it  working correctly ,clean the relay -could be static from dust-dirt  particles over the years on the contacts -

-clean the contacts with deoxit ---test , if all is fine , great , if not , replace the relay-

12 minutes ago, billybob said:

That is abit where I am at with mine. There are in alot of some YouTube videos some that are either replacing the entire relay switch. To get at it properly to clean, some desolder the switch. The contacts in the relay is what they are cleaning.

The top cover of the switch if can be removed easily enough, without damaging for access to the contacts. Problem is, there are resistors, etc., In close quarters around the switch, which can be damaged if attempting with out caution.

So, yes, if can sell a small hole in top of switch, without plastic debris falling into the switch, further complicating contact operation in relay, would look closely and possibly be able to directly insert small plastic straw onto the contact portion. Cycle switch while light spray several times.

And after all this to consider, whatever method used to clean, no guarantee it will fix or help problem.

Measuring the voltage level operating the switch may well come into it. It gets more involved as well.

Maybe bubo will say.

Don't waste your time playing with a $12 switch

Just replace it and see if the problem goes away

Black box repair method

Still do the rest of the inspection and cleaning

touching up a few cracked or lose solder joints can work miracles

• Like 4

Glad you got around to saying that. Was going to. Replacement for mine is 5.98.

Likely just to speak to a repair tech. just saw locally. My relay stopped clicking.

Sorry for the slight Yammer I have in the morning. Just got a cup of coffee. Hope it will help.

Good morning ... coffee.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1