The DSP adventure begins, LaScala bins with KPT-904-HF tops. (Jubescalas?)

zeagan

Didn’t get them straight from Klipsch as I’m up in Canada and just felt lucky to finally find a pair. Although now that I have two pairs and still have the JBL compression drivers I’m half tempted to find a pair of kpt-904 bottoms and do another set of needlessly large fun speakers. 

Did some quick DSP tweaking today but didn’t have my DAC handy as I loaned it to a friend for another project, also I’m holding off spending a ton of time perfecting the DSP until the tube amps are ready to mate up, so not final but definitely nice to listen to for now. 

spacer.png

also honestly, even if there wasn’t any audible differences the mumps just look cool as hell. 

spacer.png

• Like 4

Looks cool, I would like to hear your system in comparison to my old Lascalas. It could be a good mix of both worlds, my 1977 Lascalas and my 2008 Jubilees. As I posted elsewhere here I love the Jubilees but the Lascalas just include my medium sized room (5,3 x 5,8 meter) into the sound reproduction. I am looking forward to read about your listening impression.

If money would be no object, is an alnico driver existent which fits the K510 horn?

3 hours ago, KT88 said:

If money would be no object, is an alnico driver existent which fits the K510 horn?

Just off the top of my head, I think most of the older 2 in. throat drivers would need to be set up as 3-way systems.

TADs being an exception...

I have a pair of TAD 4002 neodymium, but there is the TAD 4001 which has Alnico magnets (My question was thought initially if there are cheaper alnico alternatives). I love the Alnico sound and perhaps I can sell the 4002 and would buy used 4001 even for using them with my K402. 
Is a 510 horn with a 2“ or 1.4“ throat? It would be cool to use the TAD without the adapter which is so long and narrow guiding, not really for tractix horns intended.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KT88 said:

I have a pair of TAD 4002 neodymium, but there is the TAD 4001 which has Alnico magnets (My question was thought initially if there are cheaper alnico alternatives). I love the Alnico sound and perhaps I can sell the 4002 and would buy used 4001 even for using them with my K402. 
Is a 510 horn with a 2“ or 1.4“ throat? It would be cool to use the TAD without the adapter which is so long and narrow guiding, not really for tractix horns intended.

The K510 is a 2" throat like the K402 so you would still need the adaptor. As for the Alnico magnet options, I know the early JBL 2" drivers were alnico, the 2441 apparently will do 500hz to 18khz. I have no experience with them though so can't say for sure if they would be a good option. 

Also if you ever feel like unloading your 4002's at a huge loss to an engineering student that barely has the budget to support his hobby let alone buy Be diaphragm compression drivers please let me know lol.

Edited by zeagan

20 minutes ago, zeagan said:

The K510 is a 2" throat like the K402 so you would still need the adaptor. As for the Alnico magnet options, I know the early JBL 2" drivers were alnico, the 2441 apparently will do 500hz to 18khz. I have no experience with them though so can't say for sure if they would be a good option. 

Also if you ever feel like unloading your 4002's at a huge loss to an engineering student that barely has the budget to support his hobby let alone buy Be diaphragm compression drivers please let me know lol.

😱

On 8/30/2021 at 11:42 AM, zeagan said:

Then I got a pair of K-691’s on here, and after being artfully bent over by UPS they arrived today and the process of getting the DSP settings just right has begun. In this thread I’ll post some response graphs, waterfalls, spectrograms, stuff like that and document getting them where they need to be in room using my Ashly Protea 3.24cl processor and umik 1. 

Would you mind talking about the Ashly unit a little. Since my analog 3 way active crossover developed issues I've been seeking a DSP based alternative and found an Ashly Protea 3,24cl for sale locally.

Is it pretty intuitive to use and set up? Are you amps balanced or unbalanced? If unbalanced, are you using XLR to RCA cables?

Thanks for any insight you might have!

Daniel

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ray_pierrewit said:

Would you mind talking about the Ashly unit a little. Since my analog 3 way active crossover developed issues I've been seeking a DSP based alternative and found an Ashly Protea 3,24cl for sale locally.

Is it pretty intuitive to use and set up? Are you amps balanced or unbalanced? If unbalanced, are you using XLR to RCA cables?

Thanks for any insight you might have!

Daniel

I have 2 of that Ashly unit and a 3.6. I also have a Xilica model too. The Ashly units are great though not up to Xilica standard. The 3.24cl is an older model with no comuter interface so everything has to be done mannually (i.e. a bit tedious). However combined with REW measurements still yields excellent sound.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2021 at 12:16 PM, Dave A said:

Just noticed this thread and the superlative BB the bass bin is made of. There is no better sounding La Scala type bass bin than one made of 25mm BB.

It definitely wasn't disappointing the first time I put some power into them. 

• 1 month later...

Little update to these guys, I have tried a few different measurements and settings and enjoyed most of them. However the settings I'm settled on lately that sound the best to my ear are fairly simple. They're the LS bass bin EQ settings that Roy released ages ago for use with the K69-A and K510 but with the 148Hz resonance mitigation moved to 174Hz and tamed a little as the 1" bass bin walls resonate a little higher and a little less aggressively. For the HF horn I'm simply using the three PEQ settings specified in the Klipsch Cinema Active settings document for the KPT-904-HF along with a lo-shelf to bring down the sub-2kHz response by 6dB and a hi-shelf to boost over 13kHz by 13dB. Measurements to come, but honestly, if they don't measure flat, the curve is what my ears like. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, zeagan said:

Little update to these guys, I have tried a few different measurements and settings and enjoyed most of them. However the settings I'm settled on lately that sound the best to my ear are fairly simple. They're the LS bass bin EQ settings that Roy released ages ago for use with the K69-A and K510 but with the 148Hz resonance mitigation moved to 174Hz and tamed a little as the 1" bass bin walls resonate a little higher and a little less aggressively. For the HF horn I'm simply using the three PEQ settings specified in the Klipsch Cinema Active settings document for the KPT-904-HF along with a lo-shelf to bring down the sub-2kHz response by 6dB and a hi-shelf to boost over 13kHz by 13dB. Measurements to come, but honestly, if they don't measure flat, the curve is what my ears like. 

You must really be cranking these up to get any noticeable resonance from 25mmBB. Now you can measure something but do you hear it?

On 11/16/2021 at 10:36 AM, Dave A said:

You must really be cranking these up to get any noticeable resonance from 25mmBB. Now you can measure something but do you hear it?

It's measurable but you really only hear it without the EQ in the "I can listen to one song before OSHA shows up and shoves plugs in my ears" volume levels.