Would you paint HBR speakers black?

wuzzzer

My Heresy mains are HBR from 1980.  They were stained by the original owner I purchased them from.  Do you think it would affect their value if I painted them black?  Just toying with the idea since my all my other speakers are black. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wuzzzer said:

My Heresy mains are HBR from 1980.  They were stained by the original owner I purchased them from.  Do you think it would affect their value if I painted them black?  Just toying with the idea since my all my other speakers are black. 

Would be neat if were Piano Black...fine finish like a pool reflection. If good job, would be appealing.

Piano black could be very attractive, but there are a huge number of steps involved plus a very clean workshop is required. What is the rest of the decor in the room look like? Find something compatible. Is veneer a possibility (not that it is easy, but it is more likely to be easier than the piano black). 

As far as value, in all honesty these are 40 y/o cabinets with the entry level HBR finish on them. I doubt the value will be decreased if you do a neat job on them

Good luck,

-Tom

• Like 1

Just now, Madman1 said:

I say it would diminish the value a bit, but if it’s what you like then do it. Is the stain job bad, or cabinets damaged? 

The stain job was done very well and there's very little wear on the cabinets. 

2 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

If I did it, it would be simple light sanding and basic black paint.  Nothing fancy. 

dont sand , just paint over the stain , that 's a layer of birch veneer , and  you dont want to sand it  over and over -

• Like 1

20 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

The stain job was done very well and there's very little wear on the cabinets. 

In that case I’d not paint them. Original in good condition is the most valuable. But if you gotta have black for some reason, and are willing to make them non-original… personally I wouldn’t buy black klipsch at all. Just not my aesthetic. Love the golden oak veneers the most. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1