SACD player recommendations needed

Cornman

Recently purchased SACD and Hybrid cd's that want play on my Oppo 980H . The oppo will play them but only thru hdmi output that my Electrocomplianiet ECD1 has no inputs for . So looking for a transport with s/pdif coaxial output . Will also consider buying  quality SACD player with its own DAC Such as Cambridge Azur or what do you recommend . I almost bought the Cambridge CXU transport today but it only plays the Hybrid cd's .

My other system  components are Prima Luna amp and pre . Bi amping Cornwalls for bass only and Oris horns for mids and highs . Crown XLS splitting the signal & driving the bass .

All thought and recommendations appreciated .

Cornman

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Cornman said:

Oppo 980H

No clue why it won't play SACD's via RCA out. Used mine for a couple of years without any problem. Maybe something in the settings ...

OK; my 980H died ... tray was stuck due to belt problem ... tried to fix it then really broke it :( 

Reason for response; just bought an Oppo BDP-83SE for $350 to replace it. The SE ("special edition") has superior analog outlets - supposedly. Enroute so not hooked up yet ... will let you know if it is any good/better :) 

Thanks for the reply's everyone . Emile my Opo will play thru rca out if I put it direct to pre amp but I wont to use my better dac & its only input is SPDIF . The 980H can only send SACD signal thru its hdmi out .

Guys the more homework I do on this issue of SACD's its apparent that 90% of those sacd's or also Hybrid's . So that open up opportunity in choices of players or in my case i just need Transport that has out's to match my DAC input (SPDIF) . Shopping around one interesting prospect is the Cambridge CXC , it will play Hybrid's and has the spdif output . MicroMara that Marantz is sweet but a little more then I wont to spend now . Willand I am in the Austin area & will research the Denon .

• Like 2

Only way to hear the SACD layer is to send via RCA(Analog) to preamp, amp, AVR, etc. or through HDMI(digital bitstream).

Some early players could send SACD digital stream over FireWire(IEEE1394).  I think the Denon 3910 is one of them.

Bill

• Thanks 1

Both of the Marantz players are discontinued.  I think the only ones they make now are streamers with transports and SACD added on as an afterthought.  This is their cheapest model:  https://www.marantz.com/en-us/product/cd-players/sacd30n

Kinda ridiculous that you can't buy a decent midrange SACD player anymore.  Seems the format is going away.

How about sony? Sony UBP-X800M2: https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/sony-ubp-x800m2

What I like about its design is that it has two hdmi outs, one for video and one for audio only. Also, there is no fan, but the cooling is done by the chassis and a heavy cooling fin. Apparently, it's built like a tank and weighs 5kg.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MeloManiac said:

How about sony? Sony UBP-X800M2: https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/sony-ubp-x800m2

What I like about its design is that it has two hdmi outs, one for video and one for audio only. Also, there is no fan, but the cooling is done by the chassis and a heavy cooling fin. Apparently, it's built like a tank and weighs 5kg.

I have two of them. Excellent SACD transport.

20 hours ago, Emile said:

No clue why it won't play SACD's via RCA out. Used mine for a couple of years without any problem. Maybe something in the settings ...

OK; my 980H died ... tray was stuck due to belt problem ... tried to fix it then really broke it :( 

Reason for response; just bought an Oppo BDP-83SE for $350 to replace it. The SE ("special edition") has superior analog outlets - supposedly. Enroute so not hooked up yet ... will let you know if it is any good/better :) 

Had one of those. Great player. Sold to a friend so I would upgrade to 103 for better Internet HDTV programs like Netfilx. It uses ESS Sabre DAC chips in the 2 channel analog out. Superior performance vs. any CD player for sure. My friend only uses it for Audio, not video and he's extremely happy with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Had one of those. Great player

Claude, good to hear that :) Was just going to replace the 980H, but found the "special edition" one for just a few dollars more - OK; few hundred :) Yes; only using it for audio :) 

1 hour ago, Cornman said:

Several good suggestions guys , thanks . I ended up getting the Cambridge Audio CXC transport. Ill post a review after some listening . Cambridge vs Oppo 980H , should be fun . 😄

I'm confused. According to this review, it doesn't play sacd. While you were looking for exactly that.m in your post title. 

1 hour ago, Cornman said:

Several good suggestions guys , thanks . I ended up getting the Cambridge Audio CXC transport. Ill post a review after some listening . Cambridge vs Oppo 980H , should be fun . 😄

https://techsupport.cambridgeaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/202808321-How-can-I-play-SACD-or-MP3-WMA-discs-on-the-CXC-#:~:text=It is not possible to,or CXUHD can be used.

"It is not possible to play SACD, MP3 or WMA discs on the CXC. The CXC uses the same S3 servo as our Azur CD players and is optimised for CD playback only."

Bill