SACD player recommendations needed

Cornman

Confused , yes I was also . After doing my homework ( research ) I have come to understand 90% of all SACD's are made also in hybrid on the same disk and the best part is Hybrids will play on all redbook players . For many of you this is no new's ,,but for this old analog dog living in this digital world it was a lesson .. 🤠  I have never really been dissatisfied with the sound from my Oppo,, but the output's are limited for 2 chl with hybrid cd's . The cxc will allow me to also compare other DAC's .

Cornman

• Like 1

Slightly off topic, but still relevant: until doing research for this question, I wasn't aware of the fact that major brands, like Samsung and Oppo, have given up on blu-ray players (not sure about cd players, though): they stopped production and development. The reason being that there's no profit to be made in that market due to streaming platforms.

For me, that's a problem: over the years I have built up a pretty extensive blu-ray collection, and now my Samsung blu-ray device has issues detecting a disc (it takes several attempts, which is extremely annoying, I can tell you...), so I guess my next investment will be that Sony 800M2 blu-ray player in order to be future proof.

https://www.whathifi.com/news/samsung-confirms-its-ending-blu-ray-player-production

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, MeloManiac said:

Slightly off topic, but still relevant: until doing research for this question, I wasn't aware of the fact that major brands, like Samsung and Oppo, have given up on blu-ray players (not sure about cd players, though): they stopped production and development. The reason being that there's no profit to be made in that market due to streaming platforms.

For me, that's a problem: over the years I have built up a pretty extensive blu-ray collection, and now my Samsung blu-ray device has issues detecting a disc (it takes several attempts, which is extremely annoying, I can tell you...), so I guess my next investment will be that Sony 800M2 blu-ray player in order to be future proof.

https://www.whathifi.com/news/samsung-confirms-its-ending-blu-ray-player-production

Bought a Panasonic a few months ago. Reading this, I wonder when they will quit as well...

On that topic as well, how long until the first companies stop producing DVD, CDs, etc.. 

On 8/31/2021 at 6:25 PM, willland said:

Not sure what part of Texas you are located but these Denon universal players are really nice.

https://austin.craigslist.org/ele/d/austin-denon-3910-dvd-player/7369447579.html

Bill

I have had two versions of the Denon 3900, they are so tempting because they are designed to do everything we want them to do.... but they are an epic failure. Don't throw good money after that turd. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. Both of my Denon's ended up in a landfill and that was is what they are made for. You miles may vary.

Willand you are correct,  the CXC will not read SACD's . As I said I made a mistake going down this SACD rabbit hole ( What happens when I havnt done my homework ) . I will just focus on the Hybrid cds that can be read by any redbook player like the CXC . So  why not just keep using my Oppo 980H -- because my dac has no hdmi input . If this does not work out I have made a $600.00 mistake ... 🤑 Will know this weekend .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cornman said:

Willand you are correct,  the CXC will not read SACD's . As I said I made a mistake going down this SACD rabbit hole ( What happens when I havnt done my homework ) . I will just focus on the Hybrid cds that can be read by any redbook player like the CXC . So  why not just keep using my Oppo 980H -- because my dac has no hdmi input . If this does not work out I have made a $600.00 mistake ... 🤑 Will know this weekend .

just use what you already have with the inexpensive item below:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012F1LFAK?tag=slkshp-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

@Cornman if that was the CXUHD you were looking at and it was a good price... get it NOW. They were under $800 new then discontinued the same year almost. *Oppo 203 guts inside and no SACD playback unless you have HDMI inputs on your amp. Saw them for $1500 the next year NIB from individuals!

Yep I'm a Cambridge fan also!!

Edited by JohnJ

SACDs use DSD(Direct Stream Digital) format. The only way to " transport " this format to an external DAC is via HDMI. Therefore the recieving DAC must be DSD capable and have HDMI input. What you can do is go into your OPPOs audio settings and under SACD Playback change the setting from Auto or DSD to PCM. 

Since most dvds use PCM you can use the toslink or coax.

• Like 1