Industrial La Scalas

dtr20

I picked up a set of 5 1980 industrial La Scalas with enclosed backs that have been hanging by chains in a family fun center for 20-40 years. I've cleaned over a decade off. I am using microfiber cloths and Fantastic cleaning spray on the cloth to clean the cabinets. Just curious if anyone had any suggestions, especially in the dog house opening in the front. Thanks

Wow great find

Micro fiber with dish soap works great with minimal risk

It doesn't take a lot of dish soap

use two buckets one for rinse and one with the DS and warm water

keep changing the water, and occasionally the mf cloth

I use DS for cleaning everything in rental units inc the walls

it is both effective and disgusting at the same time

Instead of repainting a room, clean the walls with DS

• Like 1

They work great, one fuse needs to be replaced. But we swapped a fuse from another to make sure everything was good. After I clean them, I need to figure out what/if I am going to do anything with the crossovers. 1 or 3 will be for sale semi quickly.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I believe the AA are the "good crossovers" and should be recapped

The mid drivers all need new gaskets, they dryrot

The terminals on the drivers seems to be the best identifier of who manufactured them. You will need a photo of the terminals.

The phenolic diaphragms sound great, some believe the titanium upgrades sound better, I haven't heard them.

Crites and others sell all of the parts.

It's hard to tell from photos, but it looks like the paint could be touched up, and they would look fine.

For the keepers, there are endless discussions on tweeter upgrades, if you have the room the concept I like is the tweeter mounted separately and on top of the unit further back so it more closely aligns with the mid driver. If I ever decide to play with tweeters, I may just use the tweeter built into a B-3 speaker, more finished look. There are other speakers where you may be able to just use the tweeter. Impedance, and efficiency are two issues that come to mind.....

22 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

What is the cabinet surface comprised of? A little difficult to tell in the photographs.  Painted, fiberglass, or?

I'm just now seeing this. The cabinets are painted black and it's textured. Definitely plywood, not sure if there's fiberglass on top of that, but don't think so.

Those speakers look great, compared with some that I’ve seen posted on here.  The crossovers show no corrosion and not much dust or dirt, either.  Those will clean up better than the vast majority of La Scalas of their age.  They’ll give you happy looking as well as happy listening.  Congrats on a fine find!

31 minutes ago, Islander said:

Those speakers look great, compared with some that I’ve seen posted on here.  The crossovers show no corrosion and not much dust or dirt, either.  Those will clean up better than the vast majority of La Scalas of their age.  They’ll give you happy looking as well as happy listening.  Congrats on a fine find!

these LSI Cabs have 3/4 inch  wood  panel that seals the HF   , when I opened my LSI , I was amazed at  how clean it was ,  after 20 years -

• Like 1

11 hours ago, babadono said:

Solder lug mid drivers are the "sought after" dual phase plug ones I believe. Please correct me if not @jimjimbo

Yes, they are, but they don't necessarily raise the value of the speakers any specific amount.  Mostly due to overall cosmetic condition, functional operation and other components such as crossover upgrade, etc.

• Thanks 1

• dtr20 changed the title to Industrial La Scalas