R-115SW needs Amp Replacement !

bonamin

Hello, my name is Vasilis, I am from Greece, and I own a Klipsch Home Theater setup, using the Reference Premiere 280 series of speakers and R-115SW subwoofer. 

My subwoofer died on me one night, during standby. It started making a noise on a steady tempo. Like a beat. 
I can't do anything to stop it, and it doesn't play any sounds at all when I power my system up. Only the constant beating noise. 

I tried replacing the 820Ω resistor as a user in this forum suggested, and several components nearby, but it still does the same exact thing. 

1) Where can I find a replacement amplifier, and how much will it cost ?

2) Can I power the subwoofer with an external amplifier ? Like I do with my speakers? 

Thanks a lot in advance. 

Yes you can power it with an outboard amp. But block the hole from the plate amp and install speaker post there.
There is a guy on eBay that can rebuild the amp for you. Sounds like some of the power supply caps went out. Check them to see if any are bulging or if the tops are larger then the others

I checked the caps, and none of them looks bulged or broken. 
The resistor he talks about though, was kinda toast. 

So I changed that, and all caps around it, and the TIP120. 
Still no luck. Exact same issue. 

I'm kinda sad right now. I'd rather buy a new amp and be done with it.
If I didn't care for the looks, as the system blends nicely together since its the same series of products, I'd buy another brand and sell this.  

I took this one to my local electronics repair shop, and the guy told me it's of pretty low quality for such an expensive subwoofer. 

I'm very disappointed. 

On 9/1/2021 at 10:42 AM, bonamin said:

Hello, my name is Vasilis, I am from Greece, and I own a Klipsch Home Theater setup, using the Reference Premiere 280 series of speakers and R-115SW subwoofer. 

My subwoofer died on me one night, during standby. It started making a noise on a steady tempo. Like a beat. 
I can't do anything to stop it, and it doesn't play any sounds at all when I power my system up. Only the constant beating noise. 

I tried replacing the 820Ω resistor as a user in this forum suggested, and several components nearby, but it still does the same exact thing. 

1) Where can I find a replacement amplifier, and how much will it cost ?

2) Can I power the subwoofer with an external amplifier ? Like I do with my speakers? 

Thanks a lot in advance. 

there is a member on here that repairs these dead klipsch subs for a very reasonable price & quality work.  look in the tech section for @ngen33r threads about repairing these subs or send him a private message.  

• Like 2