La Scala/doghouse: Was there a reason ...

Dave MacKay

Is there a reason why Klipsch didn't fit a "plug" to fill the cut-out that provides access to the woofer in the La Scala? I wondered if the cut-out was left for manufacturing convenience or if that void might be part of the acoustic path design. 

I'm wondering if it might be a good idea to fit a plug to fill the void and attach it to the access panel. This would provide a (more or less) smooth surface under the woofer, without impeding access to it. 

I didn't find anything related to this question when searching the forum. I'm sorry if it has been discussed already

doghouse-access-port.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave MacKay said:

I'm wondering if it might be a good idea to fit a plug to fill the void and attach it to the access panel.

No.

The opening is sealed by the bottom panel.  Filling that opening with a 3/4” piece so as to make it flush with the rest of the “floor” of the doghouse is totally unnecessary.  It would result in a minuscule reduction of the interior volume of the doghouse with no effect on performance.  As PWK would say, not a dime’s worth of difference.

The foregoing is my opinion.  YMMV

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

No.

The opening is sealed by the bottom panel.  Filling that opening with a 3/4” piece so as to make it flush with the rest of the “floor” of the doghouse is totally unnecessary.  It would result in a minuscule reduction of the interior volume of the doghouse with no effect on performance.  As PWK would say, not a dime’s worth of difference.

The foregoing is my opinion.  YMMV

Thanks. That makes sense.

I won't bother making a "plug" for the access port.

On 9/2/2021 at 11:12 AM, Dave MacKay said:

The photo shows the La Scala with that access panel removed.

The OP's photo shows a new piece of plywood has replaced the original bottom panel. An original bottom has a lip, all the way around the opening that forms a surface for a gasket and a place for the screws to attach the "dog house" door to the bottom panel. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TFR1 said:

An original bottom has a lip, all the way around the opening that forms a surface for a gasket and a place for the screws to attach the "dog house" door to the bottom panel. 

Not on the ones I have had. Screw holes, yes, visible once the bottom is removed. That's it.

Ironic in that....  isn't there a riser for the LaScala that creates MORE volume in there....and here we're talking about adding a 3/4" piece of plywood that in absolute terms, would further reduce the volume in there??

(I realize it won't matter, I just see some irony there, presuming I understand the physics correctly)

DJK, and Carl Huff had some interesting observations and graphs in the post below on the subject.

La Scala Mod Project Completed

La Scala Mod Project Completed - Technical/Modifications - The Klipsch Audio Community

Notably, "Clearly the Klipsch La Scala can be improved by reducing the volume of the sealed enclosure."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Rockets said:

DJK, and Carl Huff had some interesting observations and graphs in the post below on the subject.

La Scala Mod Project Completed - Technical/Modifications - The Klipsch Audio Community

Notably, "Clearly the Klipsch La Scala can be improved by reducing the volume of the sealed enclosure."

OK that is interesting. I wonder why this mod never gained traction with more adherents talking about it. First time I had ever heard of this with the La Scala.

11 hours ago, Rockets said:

Many thanks for the link. A question from an interested layman, is this simply a bass reflex extension where you have to be careful that the original horn still works (e.g. via the experimentally determined port length of the two tubes as described in the text), or can this design be called a tapped horn because it is tapped at the compression chamber? I don't understand why then the compression chamber still works when you take away its pressure buildup by opening it? On the other hand...doesn't the new Jubilee work similarly?
Sorry for my uneducated questions.