La Scala/doghouse: Was there a reason ...

Dave MacKay

10 hours ago, RandyH said:

Currently Access to the woofer is from a cover on the bottom of the LaScalas , if you want to do away with that cover ,route 1/2 inch around the opening  in order for  a smaller cover to screw into the recessed area -

On, now I understand. Thank-you.

12 hours ago, Dave MacKay said:

On, now I understand. 

you would  need to add a 2 or 3 inch riser with this method , this can be seen on the klipsch AL5 - , the LS is now lifted and decoupled from the floor  (  improving the sound   )-

12 hours ago, Full Range said:

I’m not sure about who actually designed the lower bass cabinet for the La Scala 

It was @djk  Dennis  RIP , who created  the 1st  LS Bass reflex mod    -  I  posted your own technical drawing to demonstrate the concept  -

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RandyH said:

you would  need to add a 2 or 3 inch riser with this method , this can be seen on the klipsch AL5 - -,so  instead of resting on the bottom access  panel , the LS is  lifted and decoupled from the floor  (  improving the sound   )-

The speakers are so heavy and hard to move if required 

So I came up with a solution that works for me as my speakers rest on carpet 

So I have permanently positioned 4 of those furniture sliders on each corner of the base for each speaker that were advertised on TV sliding heavy furniture and even cars 

They work a treat and have saved my back on several occasions 🤘

• Like 1

On 9/11/2021 at 3:02 AM, Dave A said:

I wonder why this mod never gained traction with more adherents talking about it. First time I had ever heard of this with the La Scala.

A lot of things on here have been poo-pooed in the past. Still are. The idea of porting may be more acceptable now. 🤐

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/11/2021 at 3:02 AM, Dave A said:

I wonder why this mod [djk] never gained traction with more adherents talking about it.

IMO, La Scalas need a subwoofer, or more, in most situations, which makes the djk mod a lot of effort for a stopgap fix.  That said, there are situations where sub(s) are not practical or desired.

The La Scalas I refurbished for a high school band practice room benefitted from the djk mod done by closing in the tops.  There was no way a sub would be considered.  One of the attributes of the djk mod is the easy and total reversibility.  

I would encourage hobbyist tinkerers to try the djk mod.  To the impatient and/or unhandy, if La Scalas alone don’t have enough bass, then skip the djk mod and get a sub, or subs.

post-6832-0-06580000-1433813209_thumb.jpg

post-6832-0-63560000-1431557578_thumb.jpg

post-6832-0-45660000-1433813891_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just for S&G's here is a link you may find interesting.  I don't know Carl, and I have not duplicated any of his work, so don't shoot the messenger.

Some of this thread should look quite familiar to many of you. 

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/la-seos.1458686/

Carl Huff's conclusion on page 5:

Note that the horn is now more controlled. The overall amplitude is flatter and that is something that I simply had not expected to happen. So the question that everybody wants to know the answer to is ...

"Does the ported version sound any better than the unported version?"
The answer is a qualified, "Yes" but the difference won't set your knickers on fire. the change is subtle. The bass sounds marginally fuller and the midbass sounds less 'crashy' for lack of better words.

And finally, "Is it worth the effort to add the ports? "
Again I say, "Yes", not because the bass is extended but because the midbass cleans up. Perhaps that is the improvement that people are hearing when they add volume and ports to the Klipsch La Scala. Both the ported and unported versions need to be supplemented by a subwoofer.

So which is the better idea to improve an existing pair of Klipsch La Scalas, adding volume and ports or reducing the cabinet volume and leaving it sealed?
I'd have to say reducing the volume as it is the easiest improvement and offers similar results. Adding volume and ports is major surgery with only a minor improvement over reducing the cab volume.

So there you have it...😁 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rockets said:

Just for S&G's here is a link you may find interesting.  I don't know Carl, and I have not duplicated any of his work, so don't shoot the messenger.

Some of this thread should look quite familiar to many of you. 

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/la-seos.1458686/

Carl Huff's conclusion on page 5:

Note that the horn is now more controlled. The overall amplitude is flatter and that is something that I simply had not expected to happen. So the question that everybody wants to know the answer to is ...

"Does the ported version sound any better than the unported version?"
The answer is a qualified, "Yes" but the difference won't set your knickers on fire. the change is subtle. The bass sounds marginally fuller and the midbass sounds less 'crashy' for lack of better words.

And finally, "Is it worth the effort to add the ports? "
Again I say, "Yes", not because the bass is extended but because the midbass cleans up. Perhaps that is the improvement that people are hearing when they add volume and ports to the Klipsch La Scala. Both the ported and unported versions need to be supplemented by a subwoofer.

So which is the better idea to improve an existing pair of Klipsch La Scalas, adding volume and ports or reducing the cabinet volume and leaving it sealed?
I'd have to say reducing the volume as it is the easiest improvement and offers similar results. Adding volume and ports is major surgery with only a minor improvement over reducing the cab volume.

So there you have it...😁 

That was a fascinating thread to read. Thank-you for posting the link to it.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, dtr20 said:

I've seen this before, but never understood it. Are you putting a hole in the top of the doghouse compartment for bass to come out of the HF section? 

Yes.  The volume of the sealed top hat approximates the volume of the box.  With the box, the bottom panel is removed to vent the doghouse into the box.  The top hat method I used requires cutting an opening  in the top of the doghouse.  Reversing the top hat method requires closing the hole in the top of the doghouse, which is more complicated than removing the box and replacing the bottom panel.