CD player recommendations

texasnavy05

I've been listening to vinyl records primarily, and I'm wanting something to be able to listen to my old CD collection.

My setup currently is Parasound A21, Parasound P6, and Klipsch RF7III's.    

Turntable (rega planar3) is going to a schiit mani.  

My collection of Cd's are about half burned by myself and half bought.  

Not looking for any frills or a streaming device.  Just good sound.  

Budget $600 but could be convinced to spend more if justified.

Just got an Oppo BDP-83SE. SE stands for "Special Edition" with superior analog audio. Was well worth it - about $300-350 used. Yes, also plays SACD's, DVD's and Blu Rays which is more than you may want, but ... :) (And is far superior to my NAD player.)

• Like 1

Running strictly 2-channel and having 60' of vinyl I still wanted a cd player.  Oppo seemed to be the best out there so I started lookin.  Found a guy an hour away that had a DV-981HD.  Sure it's old but he said they rarely used it so I took a drive.  What the heck it's an Oppo and my CD collection is minimal.  I never went the CD route like most.  Vinyl was my first love soooo.  He had the box, manual, remote and the unit looked great.  Picked it up for $50 and it works great for me.  I just wanted to fill a void in case I wanted to toss in a cd.  Yea, I'm THAT cheap!  Works for me and he was a nice guy too!  Have fun!  :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2021 at 5:00 PM, texasnavy05 said:

I was in the same situation and managed to find a Marantz CD-6007 and am loving it. Hard to find though, due to chip shortage.

On 9/2/2021 at 6:00 PM, texasnavy05 said:

I've been listening to vinyl records primarily, and I'm wanting something to be able to listen to my old CD collection.

Just to give all options some thought. You can probably pick up a 150-200 dollar modern DAC that will sound better than any $1,500 dollar+ (when new) player from years gone by. Factor the convenience of having all of your "CDs" available without ever hunting for a case, inserting it in player, skipping half the tracks then repeating process all over again; and I would argue that ripping all your CDs to FLAC and having every track at your finger tips is the way to go. Or at least consider it.

I too have tons of vinyl LPs and actually like pulling out a bit 12" piece of wax and listening to a well mastered album in it entirety. CDs were just the delivery medium for digitized music and the right tool for the time. Ripping your CDs to a lossless format will yield exactly the same musical content as the CD. The DAC will determine how that encoded music will sound. CD sales are below vinyl, new cars are not coming equipped with CD players. You already have the nostalgia and great sound covered with you LP collection. Sure Cassettes, CDs, Reel to Reel, LaserDisc, etc. will all be around till we are long in the grave....but I'd bet you would actually enjoy your "CD collection" more by spending ~600 bucks moving them off plastic than the same money spent on playing them back in their current form.

I'm not sure if I would ever be without some sort of physical media...but having done it and come out the other side I'm sure I won't have CDs, DVDs and Blu-Rays 2 or 3 years from now.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, rplace said:

I would argue that ripping all your CDs to FLAC and having every track at your finger tips is the way to go.

Hallelujah. Over fifty years of  critical listening behind me. I've never looked back on vinyl or cds. For me it's just a practical matter of modern  day convenience. I don't understand the nostalgia at all.

If you feel the need for cds get a moderately priced player like Cambridge Audio and a good separate DAC.

After ripping all my CD's as FLAC files to a Synology NAS 4.5 years ago, I've not removed any of the 1200+ CD's from the packing boxes to play since that point.  I've bought CD's at Goodwill, thrift stores, etc., on rare occasions that immediately get ripped to the NAS and then are accessed using JRiver.  I even bought an Onkyo Reference C-7000R CD player last year that I've maybe played 5 on....and not even in their entirety.  It's a 25 pound beast that was $1500 list but I'll be selling it soon as I just don't need it for decoration purposes.  I still have around 800 LP's, too, but it's been literally a year since I've spun one and neither turntable got hooked back up when I moved the gear around.  Anymore, it's about 90% streaming Amazon Music HD or Spotify and the remainder JRiver.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wetowne said:

I don't understand the nostalgia at all.

Not nostalgia. Though I do get that and see its value. Just like in can appreciate it for old cars, paintings and architecture....though I would not want to live in a 200 year old house and drive a 1968 Camaro as it left the factory back in the day.

For me, it is about sound quality first. Ease of use second. Probably 75% of the time digital is more than adequate for casual listening, working, working out, dinner, grilling, background noise, etc. There are times, however, where I want to forget every single thing on the planet and just listen to music. For those times there are certain pressings, remasters or original recordings were vinyl simply sounds better. If I was forced to own only one copy of every album and had to pick....I'd probably pick digital. Fortunately I don't have to, so I can have both the convenience and what I think the best sounding version is. Sometimes it actually is digital, others it is not.

• Like 1

My setup currently is Parasound A21, Parasound P6, and Klipsch RF7III's.    

Turntable (rega planar3) is going to a schiit mani.  

My collection of Cd's are about half burned by myself and half bought.  

SONY ES  CD PLAYER , or  TECHNICS   CD PLAYER -