The Speaker Formerly Known As Klipsch

Racer  X

Yes, I understand the desire for pictures to remove all doubt and all that and I have been responsive best I can to prior requests.  But respectfully decline to share pictures of my inner sanctum.  I believe my description is sufficient, enjoy fabricating my own stuff if possible to save U money.

I'll encourage tube traps to those that can stand their towering presence, I believe there is no better way to control, delineate your bass, although room treatments are of course as varied as rooms.

• Klipsch Employees
9 hours ago, Edgar said:

@Chief bonehead; a serious and respectful narrative followed by a serious and respectful inquiry:

You have faithfully and successfully worked to maintain and advance Mr. Klipsch's legacy in a series of loudspeaker products, and I believe we all respect that. But Mr. Klipsch departed in 2002, nineteen years ago. So much has changed since then. Oh, not the basic physics of horn loudspeakers, but the technology that supports them: materials science, digital signal processing, computational power, finite element analysis, high-efficiency amplification, multiple-entry horns, coaxial compression drivers, tapped-horn subwoofers, to name a few. Some of these were only in their infancy when Mr. Klipsch passed. So it is difficult to predict whether Mr. Klipsch might have incorporated them into his loudspeakers, and if so, how.

That leads to my inquiry: At some point you will run out of future concepts that Mr. Klipsch held dear. So what would a "Delgadohorn" look like? What are some of the things that YOU would like to see in Klipsch loudspeakers that simply weren't available to Mr. Klipsch?

I’m thinking about how to answer this......

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I also created the world's first "CornScala" when I was 21, but I never called it anything but a home-made Center Channel until I got Khorns and needed a LaScala to complete my 2PH3 setup that was blessed by Paul Klipsch, since I built the same False Corners and Resistor Box he himself was using at home.

At no point did I mention the word "KLIPSCH" in naming my modification/creation. Heresy is a generic term that cannot be trademarked, as far as I know.

"Heresy" is a registered trademark of Klipsch, and has been since about 1972. So are: La Scala (opera house in Italy), Cornwall, Palladium (element and historic concert hall), Jubilee (religious observance from the Old Testament), among others. You can't copyright a generic term or phrase with common usage. You can trademark a generic term, or name in public domain, if it's unique to a particular category of product (loudspeakers) and it doesn't infringe on a previous trademark in that category, or could be confused with a previously product.

If you had tried to sell a speaker with the word heresy you would have heard something very quickly.

Likewise, selling a speaker called a cornscala, or Jubescala, etc. would be a clear trademark infringement.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Racer X said:

Yes, I understand the desire for pictures to remove all doubt and all that and I have been responsive best I can to prior requests.  But respectfully decline to share pictures of my inner sanctum.  I believe my description is sufficient, enjoy fabricating my own stuff if possible to save U money.

I'll encourage tube traps to those that can stand their towering presence, I believe there is no better way to control, delineate your bass, although room treatments are of course as varied as rooms.

I don't think there is any doubt. The "if no photo it didn't happen" is shorthand for "pictures please",  not because of doubt

People really love photos around here because of what they learn from them, but it's fine if they prefer not to.

A lot of folks here use tube traps. I'm not sure if anyone has made their own. That would be pretty cool to see. PWK did a Dope From Hope on a room treatment IIRC.

Thanks, dwilawyer.  I found them (the tube traps) very superior to all the Sonex 2" foam squares I had overpopulating my room before.  Then the Sonex disentigrated.

If I may, I'll open up a thread next week with an explanation, plan, and pictures.  Thanks again for your interest.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, richieb said:

Dollar to a donut you will get pushback from every horn speaker designer that all horns sound alike. I’d about guarantee it from our resident Bonehead. 

We’re all boneheads here, but only one is the Chief Bonehead.  

We are the Boneheads who listen, who are glad that the Chief Bonehead makes sure that the Klipsch legend continues, with improvements and upgrades when possible and sensible.  The Chief is the Bonehead who designs and tests what we listen to, and we’re very glad for that. 

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, Racer X said:

Thanks, dwilawyer.  I found them (the tube traps) very superior to all the Sonex 2" foam squares I had overpopulating my room before.  Then the Sonex disentigrated.

If I may, I'll open up a thread next week with an explanation, plan, and pictures.  Thanks again for your interest.

That would be awesome!

2 hours ago, Racer X said:

Well, I find component selection to be very personal and varied.  I've never seen anyone with similar components.  Preferred not be judged there on my preferences and selection.  Fully well recognize the speakers, wires, amps must form a synergistic relationship, not sure what that means or exactly how it is employed, more just a random selection of cool gear one is drawn to.

Us judge????    Never.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

I’m thinking about how to answer this......

Everyone builds on the experience of those who came before and what we see around us. But at some point in time you are going to have to start claiming some of these advances because you are the main driver in combining accumulated knowledge to produce improvement and change. I figure you crossed that line with the CW4, H4 and the new Jube. Did you not also kind of get the tractrix horn in the door too?

• Like 2

On 9/3/2021 at 6:56 PM, MicroMara said:

Nevertheless, the question always remains the same, why on earth are Klipsch speakers the most modified, why do all those who have done it say that for themselves, the speakers sound better. 

How would you know if Klipsch speakers are the most modified?

If only the fact that they have gravitated to this forum. The number of people on this forum is a really small numer compared to all the Klipsch speakers that have been manufactured. While sitting in the middle of a forest fire, it's easy to think the whole world is on fire.

Still glad the fire is raging, though. We learn when folks here play with matches. Figuratively speaking, of course.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dwilawyer said:

"Heresy" is a registered trademark of Klipsch, and has been since about 1972. So are: La Scala (opera house in Italy), Cornwall, Palladium (element and historic concert hall), Jubilee (religious observance from the Old Testament), among others. You can't copyright a generic term or phrase with common usage. You can trademark a generic term, or name in public domain, if it's unique to a particular category of product (loudspeakers) and it doesn't infringe on a previous trademark in that category, or could be confused with a previously product.

If you had tried to sell a speaker with the word heresy you would have heard something very quickly.

Likewise, selling a speaker called a cornscala, or Jubescala, etc. would be a clear trademark infringement.

Your definitions, as accurate as they may be,  would only apply to someone selling a product designed and manufactured. I am not one of those, but if I were, I most certainly would create and trademark my own name, like Volti Audio did. 

Back in the 70's, PWK purchased a Speakerlab K, which was a copy of a Klipschorn selling for way less money and made out of crappy particle board instead of plywood. When testing it in the Lab, it fell far short of the real thing in performance.

I believe that particular small company was buying discounted Atlas Drivers and EV tweeters that were Rejected by Klipsch as being out of their tolerance band.

PWK said he could not legally stop them from building a product whose Patents had long ago ran their course, but he said that a Trademarked NAME (Klipshorn) lasts much longer, so they shortened the name to "K" and did not try to hide the fact that they were cheaper copies of the real thing. Caveat Emptor!

7 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Back in the 70's, PWK purchased a Speakerlab K, which was a copy of a Klipschorn selling for way less money and made out of crappy particle board instead of plywood.

Just a minor correction, for the record. I have in my possession a copy of the Speakerlab K builder's manual. It specifies 1/2" plywood throughout, except for the motorboard which is 3/4" plywood.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Edgar said:

Just a minor correction, for the record. I have in my possession a copy of the Speakerlab K builder's manual. It specifies 1/2" plywood throughout, except for the motorboard which is 3/4" plywood.

@DizRotus Neil hauled four of them around for parties. I don't think they would have lasted long if they were made out of particle board.

• Like 1