Klipsch MTM

dtr20

4 hours ago, Area 51 said:

Are these MTMs worth putting together 2 matched pairs; with sequential numbers and labels intact, instead of this mismatched pair? 

They probably match close enough and sequential numbers are for natural wood finishes so that the wood grain, color and stain match. 

4 hours ago, Area 51 said:

What would they be used with?

Every once in a while, her are MCM stacks that are for sale w/o the tweeters. Also, this 'might' be a good deal if someone has a set with some blown tweeters. 

I have a fully functioning MTMs on my MCM1900s. I replace the MTMs with DaveA's L-MAHL. I like the upgrade in the quality of sound...so much so t hat I got 2 pair of S-MAHL too.  

The mismatched pair of MTMs available on eBay matches a mismatched MTM pair available on Reverb. I thought the mismatched pairs might make a couple of matched MTM pairs. (Did I just say that)? And without natural wood finishes the sequential numbers offer no advantage. Oh. Obviously, I'm out of my depth and would be in over my head here among the MTMs, MCMs and MSMs so I'll leave this pro stuff alone. Good luck and best wishes to any member who might want to pursue these leads.

2 hours ago, Area 51 said:

The mismatched pair of MTMs available on eBay matches a mismatched MTM pair available on Reverb.

I didn't see your reference to the offering on Reverb. Looks like the seller(s) are screwing up: Both offerings are off by one number.

Bottom line is: Good catch on your part. 
538.thumb.jpg.910ec34911e2ff529de147a6755316f7.jpg1743.thumb.jpg.40127d7336969b1a5eba2c09779dd2ad.jpgmtm1.thumb.jpg.dfe6eb1f550a8b9cdbe9e9b0e24f46af.jpg1753.thumb.jpg.e6a6c04a74ac976d8e6a469349c80c3e.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Area 51 said:

I hoped one of our members might benefit.

Your praise of DaveA's upgrades echoes what I've picked up on in my brief time here on the forum. I wonder if his products might have a future in my recently acquired Heresy Industrial Ported pair. 

I got a pair of HIPs from DaveA that had SMAHLs installed.  All I can say is do it!

Hey guys I never bypass fuses and don't mess with things I don't need to. That having been said if you blow those fuses you are probably in trouble already. My understanding of fuse values on pro gear is that they were higher than needed so the SLV guys would not have to climb up in the air to replace them if they blew to easily. Speakers were to be protected electronically outside of the fuse which was there as a last hope hail Mary maybe they won't fry safety. IF the fuses were already bypassed and I don't catch it they may leave my hands that way by benign neglect on my part. I don't always give input cups serious examination unless they look poorly done.

I always recap old crossovers and never change values of capacitors. Some will argue the point of using electrolytic caps for the woofer circuit but I find poly caps sound better, measure better and are supposed to last longer.

Those HIP's are great little speakers and fairly hard to find.

• Like 1

Hello DaveA!

Your approach to fuses seems sensible. Same for your approach to crossovers; at least according to what I have read and heard. And, I certainly hope you're right about the HIPs since I recently bought a pair. As far as I know they are original equipment Klipsch. My friend - and, it seems just about everyone else - says you have some stuff to improve my HIPs. What would you recommend for the HIPs?

Thanks in advance. I appreciate your input.

I don't mess with crossovers other than recaping because I don't know how to and also they sound fine to me when recapped so why reinvent the wheel. Those HIP's with that front port have my favorite configuration. No passive and with front ports works anywhere anytime and you don't have to have a wall to make them right.

• Like 3

On 9/7/2021 at 9:20 PM, Dave A said:

IF the fuses were already bypassed and I don't catch it they may leave my hands that way by benign neglect on my part. I don't always give input cups serious examination unless they look poorly done.

Those HIP's are great little speakers and fairly hard to find.

I looked and the fuse circuits are intact in the ones I got from you.  I love those speakers.

• Like 1

This is interesting. I'm not yet familiar with the pair I just bought -  I haven't yet been able to even connect my new HIPs - so I wonder if you would expand on your impressions a little bit. Your HIPs have Dave's tweeters in otherwise original equipment Klipsch boxes, right? What is it  about these speakers you like? How do they compare to other speakers you have / had? What system are yours used in? I hope you'll forgive me if I'm being overly inquisitive. I'm just curious about these sorta rare (at least not common) new (to me) little beauties I have stumbled into. I really don't know the first thing about them.  

On 9/9/2021 at 7:39 PM, Area 51 said:

This is interesting. I'm not yet familiar with the pair I just bought -  I haven't yet been able to even connect my new HIPs - so I wonder if you would expand on your impressions a little bit. Your HIPs have Dave's tweeters in otherwise original equipment Klipsch boxes, right? What is it  about these speakers you like? How do they compare to other speakers you have / had? What system are yours used in? I hope you'll forgive me if I'm being overly inquisitive. I'm just curious about these sorta rare (at least not common) new (to me) little beauties I have stumbled into. I really don't know the first thing about them.  

The K-42EV woofers are amazing.  Not that they have huge bass, but their clarity in vocals is quite awesome.  It's my understanding that the autoformer is "hot" in the HIPs compared to standared Heresy's and they deliver a huge midrange punch.  I have not heard them with standard tweeters, so I can't compare that, but I know I'm hearing high notes that I've not heard before.  My system is by no means audiophile.  It's in my garage shop.  I've got my HIPs sitting on top of a pair of LaScala Industrials coming off a Denon dra800h 2.1 receiver and the combo sounds mighty fine to my uncultured ears.

hip2.jpg

• Like 1

Wow! That's cool. The HIPs on top of those LaScala Industrials! I bought my HIPs basically because they were available and then, almost immediately, the Belles I really wanted became available. So, I'm wondering how the HIPs and Belles will play together. You, apparently, find that to be a good combination. In my system they may or may not but it's good to see it works for you. You don't feel you're "diluting" the LaScalas or adding an inferior quality sound with the HIPs. Of course, the HIPs in question have been "worked" so I'm sure that's a factor. I'll have some experimenting to do. I'm gonna change some things. How will I use the HIPs, the Belles, the Cornwalls and the Fortes? And that doesn't include the ugly Heresys I picked up because the price was right or the RP-600Ms that kinda started this whole Klipsch thing. An embarrassment of riches to be sure.  

Obviously, I'm better at buying than selling.

• Like 1