What are Herseys worth? 1980-81

Fast996

Ok I cleaned them up...at least the cabs with a mixture of boiled linseed,minwax dark walnut (just a little) and turpentine. Rubbed it in with 0000 wool. Not done yet,but I just wanted to show you guys. The're not perfect...but good enuf for the girls I go with. Will finish them and then on to hooking them up. Thanks!

20210905_125113.jpg

20210905_125007.jpg

20210905_124955.jpg

20210905_124816 (1).jpg

20210905_125044 (1).jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fast996 said:

Well I got the idea off another forum....stupid me. I should have researched here first. BTW I think the thread that put me on the wrong track was about the so called

"1.5" transition model. I found this on the Historian forum here. Makes sense given the year of manufacture.

So other than the crossover? and the woofer what else is different. Another thing has anybody converted a series 6 to a Klipsch II ? Worth doing? Not that I would do that.

Ok just noticed the tweeters are different so there is a big difference between them.

Another question is the Series 6 made of MDF or plywood ?

SIXTH series of Heresy (last version of Heresy I )

TW: K-77-M(Electrovoice T35 Ferrite)

MID HORN: K-701 (plastic material) + K-53-K

WOOFER: K-22-K

CROSSOVER: Type E2

yes you have the plastic horns , here's an Identical speaker with the metal horns ----you can see the space between the woofer and the midrange horn --  you also have Walnut oiled Veneer which is not found on all Heresy Speakers -these should not be MDF cabs , but you can check by opening the rear panel , if you see grain in the wood , they are not MDF 

check that all drivers are identical ----DCR  ...tweeters  8 ohms ,,,,midrange 16 ohms --woofers 8 ohms - cant wait to hear your impressions 

BackHeresey.jpg848009300_s-l1600-2021-09-04T154700_302.thumb.jpg.308536d5c00041bc03208481278d62d1.jpg

• Like 1

I finished them up and the seller was right....A light cleanup and a bright 36 year old penny.:D

Thanks to Randy and Billybob et al for the info and support....a great forum.

Will post what I think of the sound as soon as I get these hooked up....time to get out of the house...it's Sunday.

20210905_142540.jpg

20210905_141906.jpg

• Like 2

You did well.  Please keep the photos and impressions of sonic quality coming.

Just a thought, you could spin off the K-55 from one of your Khorns to make a comparison with the Heppner, or vice versa, try a Heppner on your Khorn, assuming they have Atlas/K-55 drivers.

• Like 1

Ok, I got home and realized I needed to clean up the arse end of these. Not bad considering I've seen some bad ones. I really like how Klipsch matched the veneer on these. I love to buy vintage....

Also I used a tidbit of wood putty to fill some small nicks on these in dark walnut. Not a perfect match,but it does work well. Keep the lid tight because it will dry out. A small jar will last me one hundred years.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006SQ97E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

20210905_170016.jpg

20210905_165952.jpg

On 9/4/2021 at 5:14 PM, Peter P. said:

If they work and the cabinets are in presentable condition then yes, $500 is a very good price. Your pictures don't show much of the cabinet so its hard to tell how clean they are, which affects price.

Prices for used Heresy's of your vintage have been rising which I don't understand because as they get older I would expect prices to DROP. Locally they're selling for $700-$1k, which I think is absurd.

I thought about your post last night....and remembered seeing AR3a's selling on Ebay for 5x of what I paid for these. Supply and demand I guess. I remember in high school looking in the Allied catalog and visiting Pacific Stereo and wondering if I would ever own some of this stuff. It took me 50 years to find a pair of Heresys. My reaction is compared to other vintage speakers of the day....son of a.....these are cheap. :D

Btw I'd take a horn loaded speaker any day over a AR type bookshelf just because of the CD design.

• Like 1

These were made while they were in transition to the Heresy II. By the time yours were built they would have been out of the cast mid horn and used the plastic horn of the H II.  

I have HIIs with the plastic horn, and they are solid.

Look under the two channel threads. The top post by Groomeslake... Heritage codes...has a ton of info. Dating, parts, finishes, timeline.

• Like 2

Ok, the only place I could put them was on top of my dresser...this is my bedroom system. Being a bachelor has it's advantages:D I need to find a nice pair of speaker stands,about 20 inches high,if anybody uses a stand like that let me know please. Now to hook these babies up and see how they match up with my 1989 K horns. They all have the composite squawker horns so I think they will match up good. Just looking at these Heresys a day after I'd say they were about 90 pct+ maybe...any way I'm happy as a clam.

Will post later as today is a definite BBQ day...happy labor day.

20210906_084225 (1).jpg

• Like 4

Ok

I hooked them up to my Marantz 4400 and the left speaker has no sound . On my multi meter set to ohms at the inside connection I get 8.1

On the K22 woofer I get about 7.7

On the K53 or 52 I get 11.1

on the K77 I get around 6.1

If I test at the junction board on the E2 the K53 is zero

The others measure about what I had at the source connection.

I know a little to squat....so I need some help.  Thanks

6 hours ago, Fast996 said:

Ok

I hooked them up to my Marantz 4400 and the left speaker has no sound . On my multi meter set to ohms at the inside connection I get 8.1

On the K22 woofer I get about 7.7

On the K53 or 52 I get 11.1

on the K77 I get around 6.1

If I test at the junction board on the E2 the K53 is zero

The others measure about what I had at the source connection.

I know a little to squat....so I need some help.  Thanks

check the connections on the barrier strip , 

swap the speaker  wiring from the right speaker into the left speaker ---is there any sound in the left speaker -  

swap  the speaker  wiring from the left speaker into the right speaker ---is there any sound in the right  speaker - 

3 minutes ago, RandyH said:

swap the speaker  wiring from the right speaker into the left speaker ---is there any sound in the left speaker -  

swap  the speaker  wiring from the left speaker into the right speaker ---is there any sound in the right  speaker - 

Did that at the 4400 connections the right works either way. No on the left both ways.

35 minutes ago, RandyH said:

ok -

Randy,

I get good readings at both sides of the barrier strip connections on the K22 and K77. I get zip on the K53...both sides nothing. I take the K53 wires off and measure and I get 11.5 to 11.6.....but when those leads are connected nothing but 0.00

2 2uf and a 33uf 100v ....a choke and autotransformer...pretty simple circuit

12 minutes ago, Fast996 said:

Randy,

I get good readings at both sides of the barrier strip connections on the K22 and K77. I get zip on the K53...both sides nothing. I take the K53 wires off and measure and I get 11.5 to 11.6.....but when those leads are connected nothing but 0.00

swap the K53 driver from the left  speaker into the right speaker ,  any sound out of that left  driver ?