What are Herseys worth? 1980-81

Fast996

4 hours ago, Fast996 said:

Did that at the 4400 connections the right works either way. No on the left both ways.

If following this, you have no sound from your left speaker at all. Have you looked at the 2 wires for connectivity at the inside of the barrier strip to the E2 crossover?

Have you taken a screwdriver and checked for looseness at these connections?

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, billybob said:

If following this, you have no sound from your left speaker at all. Have you looked at the 2 wires for connectivity at the inside of the barrier strip to the E2 crossover?

Have you taken a screwdriver and checked for looseness at these connections?

Thanks!

All connections tight and I get 8 ohms on my multi meter from the speaker block wires to the E2

I measured the good Heresy for everything as I did for the bad one and it measures the same. I cleaned the speaker block also. Next is another speaker wire.

6 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Is the Marantz ok? Can you connect a different pair of speakers?

The Marantz is fine as my Khorns run perfect on the main connection. I've swapped the Khorns for the Heresys a couple times....no sound on the Left Heresy.

Whenever I get new (used) speakers the first thing I do is unplug and reconnect the input wires at each driver several times.  This will remove years of oxidization and give you a much better signal transfer. 

Then, unscrew and tighten each screw at the input barrier strip, front and back.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

Whenever I get new (used) speakers the first thing I do is unplug and reconnect the input wires at each driver several times.  This will remove years of oxidization and give you a much better signal transfer. 

Then, unscrew and tighten each screw at the input barrier strip, front and back.

Positively the correct process.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Best of luck with your project, hope they start squawking soon.

I remember when I had LaScalas with K55Vs.  One of the mid drivers kind of went bad:  It made a distorted sound, but only on one particular song, always at the same point.  It put me on edge, was always listening for the noise.  Had the Heresy 1.5 sitting around unused, picked them up and never plugged them in because LaScala.  So I think, hey there should be K55Vs in there, let's look.  Well the Heresy 1.5 was a transition year from I to II, and had the K52, plastic horn.  Boy was I disappointed.

Later, when I started using the Heresy 1.5, grew to appreciate the K52, it was not as hot or in your face as the K55V, as others here have noted.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, billybob said:

Even using the known good speaker wire. You may be tired now. Good evening...

*************!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Son of a Beach!!!!!!!!!!!!!*********** 

It was the speaker cable. I have never in 45 years  doing this stuff ever run in to this.

It was about a 25 ft length of monster cable the guy who I bought my Khorns from gave me....it wasn't green.

Good thing my time is free! Lesson learned....You guys are great Thanks:biggrin:

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Fast996 said:

Just listened for a minute...they sound nice....smooth,VG bass,sibilance is really natural. I'm going to make a Manhattan with two cherrys and listen......it only 8 pm PST here.

ok  , back home    , and now I see that you narrowed it down to the speaker wire ---------good job -

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Fast996 said:

*************!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Son of a Beach!!!!!!!!!!!!!*********** 

It was the speaker cable. I have never in 45 years  doing this stuff ever run in to this.

It was about a 25 ft length of monster cable the guy who I bought my Khorns from gave me....it wasn't green.

Good thing my time is free! Lesson learned....You guys are great Thanks:biggrin:

6 hours ago, RandyH said:

check the connections on the barrier strip , 

swap the speaker  wiring from the right speaker into the left speaker ---is there any sound in the left speaker -  

swap  the speaker  wiring from the left speaker into the right speaker ---is there any sound in the right  speaker - 

ok 

• Like 1

Just listening...never heard Heresys before. Kind of shocked really; the immediacy a long with the overall balance is really good. Natural is a over used word by audiophiles but these do posses a wonderful realism for a small speaker. Power but nothing over top. More later.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Fast996 said:

MDF? 

Good night 

--could be a mix of Plywood and MDF --

I can see plys inside the speaker , the wood joints holding the motorboard are plywood -- the motorboard seems to be plywood as the LF-Mids-HF drivers are held with wood screws ,  you cant use wood screws with MDF panels  , the MDF swells loosening the grip  , so one has to use machine screws instead for MDF  -

848009300_s-l1600-2021-09-04T154700_302.thumb.jpg.308536d5c00041bc03208481278d62d1.jpg

• Like 1

Since you've got your hands on a voltmeter, try this:

Play some music or interstation white noise from your FM receiver. Set your voltmeter to AC Volts and connect it to the terminals of the working speaker. You'll see as you raise the volume that the number on the voltmeter goes up. Leave the volume at a reasonable level.

Now connect the voltmeter to the suspect speaker and verify voltage is reaching the speaker.

Then connect the voltmeter leads directly to each speaker driver, right next to the speaker magnet. While the number may vary for the woofer, mid, and tweeter, you should see something that goes up as you increase the volume.

If you do in fact see something AC Volts at the K-53 but hear nothing, the K-53 driver is bad. If you see no voltage, then the crossover's mid-output has a bad component.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Peter P. said:

Since you've got your hands on a voltmeter, try this:

In case you missed it, the speakers work fine. The problem was the speaker cable itself.

6 hours ago, Fast996 said:

MDF? 

Good night 

Andy built a lot of cabinets at Klipsch. Maybe he can tell you the materials in the cabinet.

@HDBRbuilder

• Like 1