What are Herseys worth? 1980-81

Fast996

1 minute ago, billybob said:

Like you said, something simple...good deal.

If I had switched the speaker wire at the speakers like Randy had suggested instead of switching them at the Marantz I would have saved time and angst. It turned out well though and I learned a lot about how these are put together. I've got a JBL L55 that's dead (really dead) so maybe now I'll tackle that....but not now...in the winter. I have a lot of listening to do.:biggrin:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, billybob said:

Cool...glad you are enjoying them. So do I.

You are now a trouble shooter, along with Randy.

Usually when I buy used speakers it works out pretty well.....tube amps are like land mines for me. I never know when they will blow. I now only buy Mac gear (not a lot)because I know I can get it gone through and in a timely matter.

Maybe there's a Cornwall or a LaScala is in my future,I have a Mac1500 that needs to grow a pair of speakers for another bedroom system. It's a incurable disease and Klipschitis is a bad one indeed.:D

• Like 2

Btw I listened to midnight and the volume was up,and I could not hear any hotness or any unpleasentness from the K52 midrange or K77. If anything I would say there was a kind of a "frosting on the cake" to everything. Classical music was wonderful and the human voice had a human quality to it....instead of being just reproduced. More later today when i run these with my Khorns.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Now these Heresys happened to be placed inside of the two khorns.The Heresys are on.the opposite far wall about 20 ft away.

So it is interesting as I cannot hear the Heresys and the configuration is L,L and R,R directly across from each other.

The music is definitely enhanced almost like a tiny Reverb is created. Although I think there must be some cancelation present.

My brother came over and listened and said "don't touch it"...the golden ears in the family.

I like it.

PicsArt_09-07-01.45.56.jpg

IMG_9050.jpg

• Like 1

The important thing about the configuration in my speaker setup is getting the right balance between the rear heresy speakers and the khorns. The good thing is the Marantz has a very good balance control to achieve this.

I have been adjusting the levels to achieve the best clarity. So far cutting back the heresys is a improvement,which makes sense to me.

• Like 1

So my final thoughts. I'm especially glad that I purchased these Heresys and happy that they match up well with the Khorns.

The room is some what large and you would think the Khorns will fill it nicely. But with the Heresys at the rear it is a whole new ballgame.

Now I don't run the Heresys with equal balance with the Khorns..just overloads the room,I.would expect that.

What I do get is the same stereo 2 channel sound...it' s just so much fuller...but still with clarity and not distorted

I can hear a difference throughout the house.

I have the Marantz volume set at above 9 o'clock below 10.

The real test is can I listen without fatigue for let's say 4 hours straight....so far so good 👍 

And the nice thing is that I can switch off the Khorns and just listen to the Heresys if I so desire. 

I can see why Klipsch is such a long running production speaker..

I'm going to spend about a week listening to the Heresys....kinda need to be able to switch off. 

My original intention was to run all four when I was watching movies

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
yes you have the plastic horns , here's an Identical speaker with the metal horns ----you can see the space between the woofer and the midrange horn --  you also have Walnut oiled Veneer which is not found on all Heresy Speakers -these should not be MDF cabs , but you can check by opening the rear panel , if you see grain in the wood , they are not MDF 

check that all drivers are identical ----DCR  ...tweeters  8 ohms ,,,,midrange 16 ohms --woofers 8 ohms - cant wait to hear your impressions 

BackHeresey.thumb.jpg.0ac645279505c5804bf1b0590a4ba3c1.jpg848009300_s-l1600-2021-09-04T154700_302.thumb.jpg.308536d5c00041bc03208481278d62d1.jpg.9bc6454d784dbfb0e5f5ee1437305c7f.jpg

On MDF Heresys the drivers are flush mounted on the front. No rear access panel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Tony Whitlow said:

On MDF Heresys the drivers are flush mounted on the front. No rear access panel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The transition to MDF was gradual ,  some mid 80's Heresy 1 ,were made of MDF and plywood -  here are 2 pictures of 2 different Heresy 1 speakers  in 2 posts -

look at the 2 pictures very closely -

BackHeresey.thumb.jpg.0ac645279505c5804bf1b0590a4ba3c1.jpg