DIY in an RCA Cabinet

seti

I thought there was a lot of room in this double chassis for something big 211 or gm70 but but when you start adding big parts it shrinks fast. I have a good stash of 45's and 2a3's so I am thinking a push pull triode amplifier with a mercury power supply. I could be rational and do a damper diode power supply. What would you guys stuff in this cabinet??

IMG_3384.thumb.jpeg.6e9a24abdeb5a278b0722ef846e5d7dd.jpeg

IMG_3383.thumb.jpeg.cb86460b3974a640828f23f3d2fdf80b.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curious_George said:

A Brook 12A clone might be nice with RC coupling instead of the interstage transformer. You could do 816's for the power supply and have some blue/purple ambience...

I already built a pair of 12A clones based on PWK's Brook so maybe a more modern 2a3PP. That isn't an interstage but a center tapped choke. Very strange. I love 816 they are great and that is the plan so far.

1 hour ago, MicroMara said:

....or one of those old German Klangfilm Cinema Tube Amps , the " Eugen Bauer Verstärker "

1768409036_KlangfilmCinema.jpg.319e283db8c5956d56d716346f004cb2.jpg

Love the Klangfilm. I have a stack of old large HAM chassis style cabinets. Going to get them sand blasted and painted.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Curious_George said:

I was thinking "interstage" when I was typing looking right at the schematic with the center tapped choke. The brain to finger interface has a hiccup...

There is only a handful of ways to make a 2A3 push pull as far as the basic topology. When you say more modern, what do you have in mind?

I wouldn't be opposed to Interstage 2a3. A modern input but will see what works out.

12 hours ago, Schu said:

oh man... I LOVE that old Cinema cabinet... I want something like that.

The struggle is do I semi restore it or keep it as is.. I kinda like the rat rod look.. I have to build a stand for it because the front cover hangs. It was meant to be on a wall.

20 hours ago, AndreG. said:

Totally different, but this reminds me of how i put together my hackin´tosh in an old PowerMac shell. Putting new tech into old shells...

I love that. Yeah I like new guts old shells and also the rat rod mentality.

On 9/10/2021 at 6:13 PM, Curious_George said:

I was thinking "interstage" when I was typing looking right at the schematic with the center tapped choke. The brain to finger interface has a hiccup...

There is only a handful of ways to make a 2A3 push pull as far as the basic topology. When you say more modern, what do you have in mind?

We were talking about this last night. We are going to do dual power supplies with slow start 6D22S instead of 816 tubes. They come up to full voltage over 30 seconds. The 816s would not get us enough current with what we have on hand. Major bummer. We are going to use 6SL7 differential input with CCS but still working on other details. I have a bunch sovtek and eh 2a3 tubes which I didn't notice till today are monoplates. Then I have a stash of jan rca 2a3s... Certainly enought to test some stuff out.

2 hours ago, Curious_George said:

Interesting... feedback or no feedback? A mixture of vacuum & solid state components?

I'll share design when we get it gets done. My friend does the design work I try to follow but I am mostly solder monkey. I prefer no feedback.