Grounded equipment into 2-prong amp outlet?

Emile

OK; got some new equipment including a Xilica XP-2040. Since this is "modern" equipment it has a 3-prong grounded power cord. Problem is Xilica puts their on/off switch in the back :( which is very hard to get to in my semi build-in setup. So; was hoping to put this (with an adapter) into one of my amps which has a switched power outlet - but "vintage" so only 2-prong. 

YES, no problem or NO, do NOT do it? Appreciate your suggestions. :) 

Cheers, Emile

8 minutes ago, Emile said:

OK; got some new equipment including a Xilica XP-2040. Since this is "modern" equipment it has a 3-prong grounded power cord. Problem is Xilica puts their on/off switch in the back :( which is very hard to get to in my semi build-in setup. So; was hoping to put this (with an adapter) into one of my amps which has a switched power outlet - but "vintage" so only 2-prong. 

YES, no problem or NO, do NOT do it? Appreciate your suggestions. :) 

Cheers, Emile

Would want ground protect for my new Xilica.

• Haha 1

My amps and DAC's use a 12V DC trigger circuit that turns them all on or off when operating a single device. Typical and quite convenient. My processor is a professional unit like yours with a rear On/Off switch and I have another gizmo as well that has to be on for the system to work.

I found a great solution that ties them into the trigger circuit for $30. This grounded 120V relay has a trigger input that accepts 3V-48V DC and 12V-120V AC, thus you can use your switched outlet to turn On/Off your processor. The relay has (2) outlets that turn stuff on, (1) outlet that turns stuff off (such as lights when you turn on your home theater) and a 4th always on outlet.

God bless you and your precious family - Langston

• Like 2

What do you think about this from poster above Emile.

If you want, you could turn it's rear toward you unless, you need to see the face.

If were mine and all, probably would just go like your question suggested.

In any case, there has to be a suitable solution.

image.png.a9071d423aeaf03e7ccbef2d4c59149d.png

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of these for remote control on/off  power.  Been using them for years. one little remote that can control 3 different items.  

https://www.amazon.com/DEWENWILS-Wireless-Control-Electrical-Interference/dp/B01HWB15FS/ref=sr_1_26?dchild=1&keywords=remote+control+power+switch+3+pack&qid=1630944384&sr=8-26 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Langston said:

This grounded 120V relay has a trigger input

Langston; ingenious, awesome, thanks :)  

But, just to be sure as I have never used triggers before :) So, I could just take my switched amp 120V output and put it into the relay's input (note; it is "on" all the time, not really a trigger)? Or, maybe a bit "safer," use a trigger output from my Oppo BDP-83SE to control it?

Many thanks, Emile

29 minutes ago, Emile said:

So, I could just take my switched amp 120V output and put it into the relay's input (note; it is "on" all the time, not really a trigger)? Or, maybe a bit "safer," use a trigger output from my Oppo BDP-83SE to control it?

Exactly - and it makes sense to use the 12V DC output of the Oppo as well to avoid messing with 120V, but either will work assuming the 120V controlling device is a switched outlet (as your amp has per your first post).

The relay's sense input works exactly like the 12V trigger system on audio components: it keeps stuff on as long as voltage is present on the sense input and turns off the outlets when that voltage drops below 3V DC or 12V AC.

BTW, another (less reliable, but it might work) way to to do this is to use a a power strip that has a "master" receptacle and several "slave" receptacles. If the device on the master receptacle pulls enough current during turn-on and then stops pulling current at turn-off, it'll work. The problem is that many audio components either don't pull enough current at turn-on, or continue to use some current when turned off (standby mode), thus it's hit or miss with these things.

God bless you and your precious family - Langston

Edit: you'll need something like this to tap off your Oppo's 12V trigger.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Langston said:

The relay's sense input works exactly like the 12V trigger system on audio components

Thanks :) !  OK; understand it now :)  Initially thought a "trigger" was just a pulse function - therefore my question about "power always on."  But, obviously the trigger is "always on/off."

Power strip with slave/master won't work because I have a 2-prong amp out :) And thanks for the link to a trigger out wire. Should have something in my electronics boxes that I can chop up. :) 

Cheers, Emile

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Solid State Switch --I've used these for many projects. Can be enclose in small box with toggle or you can get fancy and create a remote control circuit with arduino. Is your electric running through conduit? if so, it provides a ground.

These switches are very reliable. The DC side is couple to the AC side via led. When DC is present the LED lights, a sensor on the A/C side detect the light and closes the switch. If interested I can go into much more detail on  how to use this device. Remote or touch on touch off or simple rocker switch.

sswitch.JPG

• Thanks 1

I'm glad I had open studs when I put my stuff together.

I have four switches next to door.  (dedicated circuit for each one)

I have about 21,502,708  outlets....  ok, not really. but I do probably have 40 throughout the room so call it 10 on each 20 amp circuit.

All upper outlets are switched, all lower outlets are hot.  So I go to my closet of electronics, plug those goodies into the upper outlet however, my satellite receiver and other specific items have full time power.

Turn system on?  Walk in room, hit four switches and it's on.  Done for day or session, turn switches off.

I mainly did it this way to simplify things for the wife who thinks this is all very complicated....  now all she has to do when she sees me sleeping on the couch with my mouth drooling and my socks dangling off my feet.....is turn the switches off and everything is off.

• Haha 1