Jump to content

Anyone using RP-160/600M as surrounds with Heritage fronts?


wuzzzer
 Share

Recommended Posts

Finding some decent deals on RP-160/600M bookshelf speakers around $300+-.  Looking to replace my RS-7 surrounds.

Curious if anyone is running them with Heresy or other Heritage front stage and what you think of the combo. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • wuzzzer changed the title to Anyone using RP-160/600M as surrounds with Heritage fronts?
  • 3 weeks later...

As Front Height, not Surround. Older pic, but have been running this configuration for a couple of years now. Not quite the same effect as the true ceiling mount Atmos setup I have in my dedicated home cinema, but for my family room, it works great. Yeah, Chorus II are not exactly Heritage, but are Extended Heritage in theory. I think the surround channels would be more problematic with timbre match though. Most of the content that I listen to in this space utilizes the RP-160M's for added ambiance and channel separation. Especially enjoying Dolby Atmos Music, but admittedly is less effective in my setup when providing a discrete lossless channel. For me, in my space, I am very satisfied and wouldn't have it any other way.

20190707_191437-3830x2154.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/25/2021 at 7:34 PM, RandyH said:

I  kinda think the RS7  is better than the RP-160/ 600M  - bigger woofer , dual tweeters -more power handling 

Not if you want to use them for Dolby Atmos decodes, in which case RS7 is certainly not better. Di-pole is a big No-No. Direct radiating speakers need only apply. Keep your facts straight when posting these sort of blanket statements. Try offering some references to show you know what you are talking about.

Page 6 reads:

Note: Dipole surround speakers are not recommended for use for Dolby Atmos playback.

https://www.dolby.com/siteassets/technologies/dolby-atmos/atmos-installation-guidelines-121318_r3.1.pdf

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, 314carpenter said:

Not if you want to use them for Dolby Atmos decodes, in which case RS7 is certainly not better. Di-pole is a big No-No. Direct radiating speakers need only apply. Keep your facts straight when posting these sort of blanket statements. Try offering some references to show you know what you are talking about.

Page 6 reads:

Note: Dipole surround speakers are not recommended for use for Dolby Atmos playback.

https://www.dolby.com/siteassets/technologies/dolby-atmos/atmos-installation-guidelines-121318_r3.1.pdf

Fwiw, the RS-7s aren't Dipole speakers and I still think could work in some Atmos configurations (side surrounds that aren't parallel to the MLP would be my guess) given the description of WDST technology. https://support.klipsch.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025546612-Different-Types-of-Surround-Speakers

Klipsch produces a unique surround speaker that utilizes a technology called Wide Dispersion Surround Technology (WDST™). Each WDST™ enabled speaker contains two Tractrix® Horn drivers and a woofer. Each horn covers a 90-degree arc and the combination of the two covers a full 180 degrees. This coverage gives excellent ambiance without having to use the walls to reflect sound. The controlled pattern of each horn (what we call "controlled directivity") leads to excellent localization of sounds because there is sound directed at the listening position, regardless of where in the room you are seated. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Zen Traveler said:

Fwiw, the RS-7s aren't Dipole speakers and I still think could work in some Atmos configurations (side surrounds that aren't parallel to the MLP would be my guess) given the description of WDST technology. https://support.klipsch.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025546612-Different-Types-of-Surround-Speakers

Klipsch produces a unique surround speaker that utilizes a technology called Wide Dispersion Surround Technology (WDST™). Each WDST™ enabled speaker contains two Tractrix® Horn drivers and a woofer. Each horn covers a 90-degree arc and the combination of the two covers a full 180 degrees. This coverage gives excellent ambiance without having to use the walls to reflect sound. The controlled pattern of each horn (what we call "controlled directivity") leads to excellent localization of sounds because there is sound directed at the listening position, regardless of where in the room you are seated. 

You are 10 years behind the curve. Di-pole, Bi-pole, either way 180 degree Wide Dispersion is the problem with RS-7 when used in Atmos formats. All you are doing is spraying and smearing the sound all over the walls, creating many more reflection points, in what the sound engineer intended to be a localized sound in the first place. I keep bringing up Atmos because it is quickly gaining ground, whether up-mixed, or discreet. The topic of the thread is Surround, and I don't think your listening to your Jefferson Airplane vinyl on your RS-7's.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 314carpenter said:

You are 10 years behind the curve. Di-pole, Bi-pole, either way 180 degree Wide Dispersion is the problem with RS-7 when used in Atmos formats. All you are doing is spraying and smearing the sound all over the walls, creating many more reflection points, in what the sound engineer intended to be a localized sound in the first place.

I understand completely what you are saying but given the RS-7s aren't a dipole (or bipole as you are now saying) and instead have horns directed towards the potential listener  at that angle it may work for some and I wouldn't necessarily tell the op to buy new speakers because it can't work. Can I Use Dipole Speakers in a 7.1.4 Atmos Setup? | Sound & Vision (soundandvision.com)

From the link:

 

To, to adhere to Dolby recommendations, the answer is yes, you should replace your current dipolar surrounds with direct-radiating speakers installed at ear-height. That being said, some on our staff rather like the effect of dipole speakers on the sides in an Atmos setup. Since you already have dipole speakers in place, there’s no harm in upgrading the rest of your system for Atmos compatibility before determining if it’s time to replace your dipole surrounds. See how you like it, then decide.  

2 hours ago, 314carpenter said:

 

I keep bringing up Atmos because it is quickly gaining ground, whether up-mixed, or discreet. The topic of the thread is Surround, and I don't think your listening to your Jefferson Airplane vinyl on your RS-7's.

Gotcha. I only listen to multichannel material with a single MLP and have preached Direct radiating for almost 2 decades. That said, I was surprised how well RS-7s sounded on that same material when I had a 5.1 system and was moving around the living space doing chores. Again, I am not discounting your recommendation only the veracity countering others' opinions.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The OP is talking surrounds not a mention of Atmos.

A listen to the timbre of the RS-7s which already has, should give a fair clue to sound with the Heritage.

Interesting nonetheless the conversation.

Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...