Initial Forte IV Impressions

Calibuck

10 minutes ago, geezin' said:

There is always something better...according to someone. :D

So true.

For my tastes and how I like to listen to music, these are by far the best speakers I've ever owned. What's more, my wife is impressed. And, since the best response I've ever gotten out of her with previous equipment upgrades was a grudging, "uh huh...that's nice", that's saying a lot. Maybe someday I will win the lottery and go for bigger and better, but for now I'm happy.

In all honesty, I love reading post from so many people so enthusiastic about so many different things. Such fun!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2021 at 5:58 PM, Fido said:

I feel the same way. I have a couple of nice Turntables with good cartridges and a nice sounding Puffin phono preamp and an awesome sounding Denefrips Pontus DAC playing thru my Hermes DDC and Node 2. All of this is playing into my PL EVO 400i and the system synergy along with those Forte IVs is the best I have ever heard in someones home. Now my search is still on for new music or new to me music. The Forte IVs are very under rated IMHO. Especially on this forum where its mostly just macho men that think speakers need to be BIG the BIGGER the better no matter what size room you are in. 

With horn speakers that's the journey always towards bigger and bigger... 😄

I veered away from the Forte IV after hearing the manner in which voices and trumpets sounded compared to the Heresy. Sure they have the bass department but that’s about it. Voices do not sound as coherent in fact the Forte IV make some of the upper range particularly voices sound more like they are recessed in the background. Amazes me nobody mentions that. The Forte IV lack coherency. 

Edited by Idontknow
Added the last sentence.

It’s like hearing the difference between a flugelhorn to an actual trumpet. In a flugelhorn the sound is more spread out, less coherent compared to a trumpet. IMHO the Heresy reproduces the coherent sound of a trumpet more realistically or faithfully than the Forte IV for example. 

Edited by Idontknow
Misspelling

Depending on the trumpet material, some trumpets have a darker or lighter sound.  The flugal horn has a darker sound.  Chuck Mangione demonstrates. 

When people talk about the term "timbre" (sounds like tamber, as in tambourine). the difference in sound between the bright sounding trumpet and darker sounding flugal is what we're talking about.

• Like 2

Many of the reviews in these forums are fanboy reviews. By that I mean that whenever something new is produced, most people go in with the belief that it’s automatically better. That’s a bunch of BS in my book and I’ve seen countless amazing products get tossed aside as a result.  I wish people would get off these silly bandwagons and get real for a change. Throw all the marketing crap aside and open their minds instead of acting like a herd of cattle falling off a mountain with the rest of them.

For example, many of these YouTube hifi channels who rant about the latest hifi gear, candy coat their reviews so as not to offend the companies that sent it. I bet if I blind tested these guys most would fail miserably, in fact, I know they would.  Most of these YouTube charades have reached an epoch absurdity in trying to increase their subscriber count as a means to a living rather than being openly honest and constructive about the ups and downs of newer gear.  

What is it “specifically” that’s improved or unimproved? Based on this forum I get none of that with regard to the Forte IV. Take SVS for example. Everybody thinks they gotta have an SVS, are you freaking kidding me? Like there’s no other good sub companies out there? Most of this nonsense comes from marketing and parroting rather than blind tested or open minded reviews.  Some of these people need some George Carlin in their lives so they could learn some logic for a change.

8 minutes ago, Idontknow said:

Many of the reviews in these forums are fanboy reviews. By that I mean that whenever something new is produced, most people go in with the belief that it’s automatically better.

What is it “specifically” that’s improved or unimproved? Based on this forum I get none of that with regard to the Forte IV. 

We know and trust who made the design changes so there's that

1 hour ago, Idontknow said:

Many of the reviews in these forums are fanboy reviews. By that I mean that whenever something new is produced, most people go in with the belief that it’s automatically better. That’s a bunch of BS in my book and I’ve seen countless amazing products get tossed aside as a result.  I wish people would get off these silly bandwagons and get real for a change. Throw all the marketing crap aside and open their minds instead of acting like a herd of cattle falling off a mountain with the rest of them.

Likewise I’ve seen people give reviews and comparisons that were BS because they didn’t practice good comparison techniques….. so how about letting us know some details about how you did your comparison.

miketn

1 hour ago, Idontknow said:

Many of the reviews in these forums are fanboy reviews.

Many of the reviews in these forums are not reviews at all. They are subjective opinions given by people who purchased a product that they are excited about. Take it all with a grain of salt and while you're at it take a chill pill.

• Like 3

After these latest comments about trumpets and fuglehorns and how bad the Forte IVs sound compared to “I don’t knows” Heresys I am going to get rid of my Forte IVs. My fan boy review did not compare all other speakers made by Klipsch and other speaker companies in depth.  I’m sorry. Anyone want a Forte iV poster? Trash day today and they are now out by the curb for any takers. 

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Idontknow said:

For example, many of these YouTube hifi channels who rant about the latest hifi gear, candy coat their reviews so as not to offend the companies that sent it. I bet if I blind tested these guys most would fail miserably, in fact, I know they would.  Most of these YouTube charades have reached an epoch absurdity in trying to increase their subscriber count as a means to a living rather than being openly honest and constructive about the ups and downs of newer gear.  

What is it “specifically” that’s improved or unimproved? Based on this forum I get none of that with regard to the Forte IV. Take SVS for example. Everybody thinks they gotta have an SVS, are you freaking kidding me? Like there’s no other good sub companies out there? Most of this nonsense comes from marketing and parroting rather than blind tested or open minded reviews.  Some of these people need some George Carlin in their lives so they could learn some logic for a change.

Yes old Youtube...lol.

Like the horn.

You do not ask the questions in order to get answers. Do your objective review.

Welcome!

It’s cool. I just think many of the comments regarding the newer models in the heritage series are too overwhelmingly in favor of every aspect of the speaker being better every time a a new model comes out. Oh man! You gotta get the newer model guys! To me, that’s a bunch of fanboy chatter that’s not even realistic or helpful to others looking for constructive feedback. So instead of getting the ups and downs, everything’s just good and great. There’s nothing wrong with being happy with a new purchase, but to get realistic impressions on new gear is far more often just too bias and un-open minded based on much of what I’ve seen.

For example, I’ve pretty much determined that the Heresy II and Heresy IV have two distinct sound characteristics that separate them. One is that the Heresy IV clearly and audibly has more box resonance compared to the II and a number of individuals have complained about this regarding the IV. I too have heard this more as time has gone on. I personally think it’s fine but some listeners don’t like it. The other thing about the IV is the top end is a bit softer and smoother compared the II. I personally don’t like this because it just starts to sound more like solid state to me. By that I mean less spatial separation in the high’s and mid’s like a solid state amp is when compared to tubes. Most interpret the IV as being less shouty. I don’t subscribe to the shout camp of the earlier models. Paul Klipsch was a genius in my book.  What the hell is so pleasant when someone blows a clarinet or a trumpet in front of you when it’s played live? You can soften a speaker with most solid state amps or add a thin piece of foam in front of it. Regardless many comments on the newer heritage lines are not put into proper context.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/11/2021 at 4:47 PM, Fido said:

After these latest comments about trumpets and fuglehorns and how bad the Forte IVs sound compared to “I don’t knows” Heresys I am going to get rid of my Forte IVs. My fan boy review did not compare all other speakers made by Klipsch and other speaker companies in depth.  I’m sorry. Anyone want a Forte iV poster? Trash day today and they are now out by the curb for any takers. 

I hope it was a Joke... :)