Need Some Input - Did I get Duped?

bribassguy

I sent a builder a schematic and asked him to make me a pair or crossovers. After I sent him the drawing and he said, "I will have to order some parts to build these, but it looks like the ones I need are all in stock so should be able to get them in a few days. We can build a pair of these for $300 plus $15 shipping to you. If you want to order, I can send an invoice to your email and we can get the parts ordered as soon as the invoice is paid and get these out to you fairly quickly." 

On the builders website it says "We use Sonicaps for the signal path capacitors in our crossover kits, our crossover rebuilds and new crossovers."  but when they shipped builder sent this picture.  He used the low grade Dayton caps on mine, not even the precision caps. When I emailed him he said it would be an additional $300 to rebuild them. 

IMG_0028.thumb.jpeg.e2a95a979ec6b7a4b9f968c8bf3ea130.jpeg

IMG_2151.jpg

I didn’t want to mention the builders name by I guess it is on the sticker so it’s out there now. It should not matter who made them in my mind. If builder X says the use a certain brand then that wheat I would expect to be delivered. 

They said that they would replace caps for an additional $300. I did not spec the brand as the say on their website that they used Sonicaps.

9 hours ago, Fast996 said:

Clarification please....your builder vender is not Crites? or is it.

my initial thoughts are a additional $300 is crazy

If you want it done right, often times you have to do it yourself.

I can barely solder, unfortunately, and will be trying to remedy that someday.  I hounded a friend to solder in my new Solen caps, and I was able to resolder wires on the transformer taps.  I hope to upgrade the wire on the crossover someday when I'm feeling brave and or bored.

Does Sonicap make your specified values?

I think since you did not specify the brand of cap....it's a grey area.

Call him and explain what happened. If i was him I know what I would do.

Btw IIRC I called him once and I asked him if I could send him caps and he said "no". 

37 minutes ago, Racer X said:

If you want it done right, often times you have to do it yourself.

When you get custom work done....especially this kind of work,unless the tech agrees and you cross every T and dot all the eyes.....it a crap shoot.

Trust me I know. Murphy's Law rules. I always send a instruction sheet and w/specifications.

35 minutes ago, babadono said:

My $0.02...the original Gentleman BEC has passed RIP. Who knows what corners will be cut now.

I wouldn't go that far.... to the builders credit at the least the customer has his project in hand and done in a timely manner.....you'd be surprised the horror stories I have.

• Like 2

Price is fair and the builder did a good job. I'm guessing the Sonicaps were unavailable in the required value, so a proper substitute was used (Klipsch probably did this all the time). Any good business has a second and/or third source available for parts.

The brand of capacitor does not matter at all. As long as all the parameters and the type of dielectric is the same (which it is).

Neither does the low tolerance if they are measured and hand selected for their Accurate Value, it's just as good or better.

As long as it SOUNDS good when used in the speakers it was designed for..........................Don't worry, be happy.

Otherwise, it's just "bitchin' bout nuthin"

• Like 10

I am afraid the OP has stepped into a mess.

1) B&K Sound is a respected outfit on this forum (with a long and honorable history),

2) by posting the photo (with logo) you are trashing them and in all fairness we do not know the context (Grandma used to say "there are two sides to every story"), 

3) I am skeptical you would actually be able to hear any difference (but I might be wrong),

4) Finally, and importantly, rather than than trashing them, why not simply make the phone and speak to them in person (if you have not already done so). You might be surprised how easy it can be to clear up or clean up what ever the problem might be. 

Good luck,

-Tom

• Like 6

I wouldn't say you got screwed.  It was a miscommunication.  It would have been nice for Mr. Crites to specify what non-standard components needed to be ordered.  As the customer, I would have asked what those non-standard components were as well. 

You asked for a non standard item. He built as you asked. By your admission you were told he'd have to order "non standard parts" to accomplish what you asked for. He delivered on time. Do they work? if not there's a problem. Otherwise you got what you asked for. If you want it changed pay the man. I'd install and listen with an open mind to ascertain if they're what you want or not. Don't beat the guy up for doing what he was asked to do.

• Like 3

The Sonicaps would be about $200 for the pair. Sonic Craft doesn't show them out of stock on their website. Shipping negligible. Write off the cost of the Daytons ($30-40)since they may not be able to put them in another crossover. Inductors about $118.

They are a company of four employees... Michael isn't doing it all by himself.

If I tell a customer that I am putting brand A in for a part, it better be brand A. If not, it better be explained and pricing re negotiated, I don't care if works.  It sounds as they miscommunicated that these networks will use a different brand of components and why the price increase for Sonicaps.  

5 hours ago, bribassguy said:

..low grade Dayton caps..

I expected the same thing given the Dayton target niche, but I've measured about a dozen Dayton poly caps and found them extremely good, better than some others that are more expensive. I'm talking objective stuff not "sonic differences" between poly caps of the same value, which I've never been able to hear.

If you're into soldering, I would upgrade the woofer caps to poly simply because it's inexpensive and they'll never dry out. When it comes to woofers I bet even this upgrade will be inaudible.

Michael's a good guy. Must be a communication issue - I do know he's slow on updating their web site (like father, like..), but boy is he fast with shipping (like father, like..). : )

• Like 1

Several years ago GM got into legal trouble for putting Chevy engines in Oldsmobile automobiles. There was nothing wrong with the Chevy engines; the problem was that they weren't Oldsmobile engines. I think that if the vendor advertises Sonicaps, then they should actually use Sonicaps.

• Like 1

• bribassguy changed the title to Need Some Input - Did I get Duped?