Need Some Input - Did I get Duped?

bribassguy

Did you get screwed? No, but perhaps as others said, communications were not clear on both sides. Below is a break down of prices. The price of these items may be less for the builder, since I assume they buy in quantity for most parts. However, let's assume the prices below are somewhat accurate. 

Price Break Down: (Parts Express Prices)

Inductors

Erse 1.5mH coils - $35.89 x 2 = $71.78

Generic 2.2mH coils - $20.00 x 2 = $40.00

Resistors

$1.50 x 6 = $9.00

Caps

Erse 47uF/100V: $1.49 x 2 = $2.98

Dayton 8.2uF - $3.59 x 2 = $7.18

Dayton 27uF - $9.29 x 2 = $18.58

Barrier strips - $3.00 x 2 = $6.00

Wood = $20

Total

Parts - $175.52

Labor - $124.48, 6 hours / $20 hour

If anything, you got a bargain to have someone build you crossovers at $20 / hour much less an established small business in the audio community. 

Whenever I build something for somebody (which is not too often because then my hobby becomes "work" and it is difficult to justify the cost of "my time") the hardest part is trying to determine a cost for my knowledge / labor. 

• Like 4

I am doubting very, very few here and possibly any could pick out the difference in the base poly Daytons as compared to a filmed Soni's.   You got  a solid set of Networks there for $300.   Save your coins and pick up some Theta's, Jupiters or Mundorfs for the high pass later on. 

I was reluctant to post the builders name because of the fanboy mentality around Crites. If this was a different builder I would be interested to see if the feed back was any different. 

For the gentleman suggesting that I reach out to him I’ve already tried that and was quoted an additional $300 to build the units to spec. 

Maybe they’ll sound the same maybe they’ll sound different but the fact remains it’s a different parts supplier then I suggested on their website.

it never occurred to me to even spec the brand ad builder “X” claims to only use brand “Y”. 

2 minutes ago, bribassguy said:

I was reluctant to post the builders name because of the fanboy mentality around Crites. If this was a different builder I would be interested to see if the feed back was any different. 

For the gentleman suggesting that I reach out to him I’ve already tried that and was quoted an additional $300 to build the units to spec. 

Maybe they’ll sound the same maybe they’ll sound different but the fact remains it’s a different parts supplier then I suggested on their website.

it never occurred to me to even spec the brand ad builder “X” claims to only use brand “Y”. 

Just call and leave a short message for a back and forth.

Price sure looks decent for a pair.

Crites has nothing to hide. Not a biggie to their decent rep...

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, bribassguy said:

I've never bought anything from Crites, but you could have solicited other people here to build you some crossovers. I'm certain the price would have been double easily. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, babadono said:

My $0.02...the original Gentleman BEC has passed RIP. Who knows what corners will be cut now.

Oh crap! That just broke my heart because I didn't know until now! Although I did have a hard time reaching him the last time we spoke in December, but he said he was "on the mend." I'm saddened beyond belief at the moment. 

Bob and I spoke on the phone at length, several times, toward the end of 2020. We laughed and talked about our USAF experiences, music and other things we had in common. He is a great guy and our hobby is wounded with the loss of his expertise. I know I am....sigh 

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Curious_George said:

Did you get screwed? No, but perhaps as others said, communications were not clear on both sides. Below is a break down of prices. The price of these items may be less for the builder, since I assume they buy in quantity for most parts. However, let's assume the prices below are somewhat accurate. 

Price Break Down: (Parts Express Prices)

Inductors

Erse 1.5mH coils - $35.89 x 2 = $71.78

Generic 2.2mH coils - $20.00 x 2 = $40.00

Resistors

$1.50 x 6 = $9.00

Caps

Erse 47uF/100V: $1.49 x 2 = $2.98

Dayton 8.2uF - $3.59 x 2 = $7.18

Dayton 27uF - $9.29 x 2 = $18.58

Barrier strips - $3.00 x 2 = $6.00

Wood = $20

Total

Parts - $175.52

Labor - $124.48, 6 hours / $20 hour

If anything, you got a bargain to have someone build you crossovers at $20 / hour much less an established small business in the audio community. 

Whenever I build something for somebody (which is not too often because then my hobby becomes "work" and it is difficult to justify the cost of "my time") the hardest part is trying to determine a cost for my knowledge / labor. 

I agree entirely. 

and to those saying that Crites advertises sonic caps.  They do. For THEIR crossovers 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, liteagilis said:

For THEIR crossovers 

I can tell you that this wasn't for a Klipsch crossover.  So if he advertises that he uses sonicaps for THEIR crossovers, then they should have here as well or at least been up front about why they didn't..

5 hours ago, Curious_George said:

I've never bought anything from Crites, but you could have solicited other people here to build you some crossovers. I'm certain the price would have been double easily. 

Solen quoted within $14 dollars of Crites to build the same unit using all Solen caps.

29 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I can tell you that this wasn't for a Klipsch crossover.  So if he advertises that he uses sonicaps for THEIR crossovers, then they should have here as well or at least been up front about why they didn't..

This is a cornscala using cornwall boxes with Claude J recommended woofers,  a k510 horn with the faital driver Chris A recommended.

Michael posted this today (if this needs to be removed... fine):

Update 9-9-2021

Today we are adding some new items to the site! I realize with the recent pricing increase for Sonicaps that it pushed those crossover rebuilds and new crossover parts out of some budgets. I have worked out a supply of Dayton 1% capacitors to allow me to add a lower cost rebuild kit option for most of the crossovers. While I feel that the Sonicaps are a good value for a long lasting cap, these Dayton caps are still superior to the old and worn out caps in crossovers over 20 years old and will get the crossover back into spec. For labeling efficiency, I will be calling rebuild kits with Sonicaps “Series 1” and rebuild kits with Dayton “Series 2”. Please see the kit pricing here: Crossover Rebuild Kits

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Price is fair and the builder did a good job. I'm guessing the Sonicaps were unavailable in the required value, so a proper substitute was used (Klipsch probably did this all the time). Any good business has a second and/or third source available for parts.

The brand of capacitor does not matter at all. As long as all the parameters and the type of dielectric is the same (which it is).

Neither does the low tolerance if they are measured and hand selected for their Accurate Value, it's just as good or better.

As long as it SOUNDS good when used in the speakers it was designed for..........................Don't worry, be happy.

Otherwise, it's just "bitchin' bout nuthin"

I agree with this.

Tell me if I am wrong.............but if you look at the schematic, I believe only C1 matters anyhow as the other caps are in shunt positions and not directly in the signal path.  I have used Dayton caps and they are not quite as revealing as Sonic caps.  But for $300 you did not get ripped off.  The networks look nicely built.  Replace the C1 caps if you feel the sound is not up to snuff.  I doubt the others matter at all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bribassguy said:

No, you didn't get screwed, you got exactly what you asked for and at a very reasonable price.

This is the "spec" you gave the builder:

IMG_2151.jpg.1e6b9acacff0479337ce8a697db71ac1.jpg

I don't see any brand names on that spec, only values.

The four Sonicaps alone sell for $228.12.  Add in the rest of the parts and you have a BOM cost of $377.88 (not including hook up wire, solder, mounting screws and other consumables).  Do you really think you are entitled to custom built crossovers including nearly $400 in materials for $300?

1 hour ago, bribassguy said:

they said it would take double the price to change the caps. 

Seems very reasonable.  $228.12 for the Sonicaps and $71.88 in labor.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bribassguy said:

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"

I guess I find the term "fanboy mentality" to be insulting.

I assume it was a miscommunication, since I can't imagine that you joined a forum so that you could insult people. 

Why don't we leave it at that.

Good luck,

-Tom

• Like 4

• bribassguy changed the title to Need Some Input - Did I get Duped?