Need Some Input - Did I get Duped?

bribassguy

And then the OP should sing out loud kudos to a vendor in these times that  actually works a sticky situation out.

any lawyer onboard to work a national chain / franchised furniture store that took my $32,000 order in Dec 2020, hasn’t delivered and refuses to refund?

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, bribassguy said:

Okay so here us the resolution.  Builder has given me two options that I feel like will bring this to a close. I think we both own some of the issue and builder has agreed to make it right. 

Option 1: Send back the XO and builder will refund my money. 

Option 2:  Send back the units and builder will replace the signal path caps with Sonicaps at his expense to match website description. 
Option 3:  Pay $300 to builder to replace all the caps with Sonic Caps.

Option 2: no hesitation  --end of story , call it a day -

Send back the units and builder will replace the signal path caps with Sonicaps at his expense to match website description. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MCM_Fan said:

In THEIR crossovers.  You did not order one of THEIR crossovers.

Crites did put their name on the network, though.  They branded it as one of theirs.

"We use Sonicaps for the signal path capacitors in our crossover kits, our crossover rebuilds and new crossovers."  This quote doesn't really allow for any ambiguity as to a scenario where they wouldn't use Sonicaps in something purchased from them.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Price is fair and the builder did a good job. I'm guessing the Sonicaps were unavailable in the required value, so a proper substitute was used (Klipsch probably did this all the time). Any good business has a second and/or third source available for parts.

The brand of capacitor does not matter at all. As long as all the parameters and the type of dielectric is the same (which it is).

Neither does the low tolerance if they are measured and hand selected for their Accurate Value, it's just as good or better.

As long as it SOUNDS good when used in the speakers it was designed for..........................Don't worry, be happy.

Otherwise, it's just "bitchin' bout nuthin"

So you are saying that all caps sound the same (given the same value)?

23 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

So you are saying that all caps sound the same (given the same value)?

Acrually  NO-- and klipsch OEM Capacitors  sold by @JEM Performancesound way better in klipsch Factory  crossovers versus Sonicaps - Solen - Audyn - Dayton -

the biggest question is cost   , how much does one care to spend  ---only  a few $  , buy Dayton-Solen  -you want to spend more .......Audyn  .....you want the klipsch sound , buy Klipsch  capacitors for roughly the same price as Sonicaps  -

20 minutes ago, RandyH said:

Acrually  NO-- and klipsch OEM Capacitors  sold by @JEM Performancesound way better in klipsch Factory  crossovers versus Sonicaps - Solen - Audyn - Dayton -

the biggest question is cost   , how much does one care to spend  ---only  a few $  , buy Dayton-Solen  -you want to spend more .......Audyn  .....you want the klipsch sound , buy Klipsch  capacitors for roughly the same price as Sonicaps  -

Understood. And I don't think they all sound the same. Just poking at Claude............

53 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

Understood. And I don't think they all sound the same. Just poking at Claude............

No, they may or may not all sound the same if they have difference in parameters measured by the same equipment. But I seriously doubt that whatever micro differences exist may not be easily audible.

Better to work on your room instead of minutia of good components with different price points.

No one has ever claimed that any of the Polypropylene brands ever sounded "bad," whether real or imagined.

• Like 2

That's a really clean job of wiring.  The electrolytic appears to pair a sizable film cap. (?)

Those inductors look pretty pricey.  What value and gauge is the big one?  How about the small one - is it a foil coil ?

FWIW I think there can be subtle differences between capacitors - whether soakage or ESR so some systems may sound better with an old PIO Russian cap - others with DC-link.  I do like trying charge coupled.  I've liked Mylar cap just fine with some speakers.

I don't think you were duped; has anyone posted this statement from the Crites website? It's at the top of the New Crossovers page (cut and pasted):  

"Here are some examples of our new custom built crossovers for Klipsch speakers. Plesse note that due to parts availablility, the new crossovers you order today may vary slightly in layout and components when compared with these images."

The crossovers are well done, with good quality parts, and the price is certainly fair. I've built enough crossovers to know how much time goes into a well executed build. Hook them up and enjoy them.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Based on the original question, the Answer is NO,  You didn't get screwed according to ALL the answers you got.

Crites got a great reputation on this Forum over several years

and it's pretty crappy on your part to try and tear it down publicly here.

May I gently take issue here, Claude?  Start with the presupposition that I have the highest regard for you personally and your solid opinions.

I don't have a dog in this fight so I consider myself neutral.  I know the Crites company by its stellar reputation and I don't know the OP at all.

What I read in Post 1 was the OP was NOT trying to tear down Crites.  He did not mention the company by name and he seem surprised that after he posted a picture everyone knew who the builder was.  As you said, all the posters here are knowledgeable and honest.  We can have disagreements on various topics but the replies here were honest IMO.

My take was that the OP had a legitimate concern over a technical issue based on what he read on Crites website.  He posted a topic here looking for feedback.  I give the OP as well as the Crites company the benefit of the doubt.  Both were acting in good faith and as I read more and saw some of the responses from Crites it seemed to me, as others have suggested, that there was not a meeting of the minds. 

It further looks like both sides are trying to find a fair resolution that is mutually agreeable.  That's what I would expect from a fair customer and a great company.

I think the Klipsch forum members in this thread have offered great perspective and advice.  I applaud the OP for having an open mind, I equally applaud Crites for offering some fair options.  I don't see any ill intent on the part of either party.  That's just the view of a neutral third party.

Thanks in advance Claude for giving my comments a look.  Whether or not we end up agreeing or disagreeing on the intent of the OP I feel sure we'll still be forum friends.  :cool: 

-Dave

• Like 5

3 hours ago, wvu80 said:

My take was that the OP had a legitimate concern over a technical issue based on what he read on Crites website. 

Dost thou presume too much? I say thee yay.

One has to have integrity and honesty, to begin with. Sadly, that is not always the case. Not blatantly so,  but some people have raised the art of carrying a selfish and negative undercurrent to new levels, often time labeled as a win/lose attitude towards dealing with others.

So you have to EXPERIENCE both sides before you can take one, as some here already have.

• Like 1

a schematic from a crossover calculator only delivers the promised action if the drivers have very wide and flat bandwidth plus flat input impedance.  Some horn - driver combos exhibit steep rolloff below cutoff and one reason why the late Bruce Edgar just used "1st order" sections as there were already many phase rotations .  Other cases probably can use REW then export response and Z to a crossover simulator.

yeah - you thought you were getting Sonicap - they may be better made than the Chinese Dayton caps.  (where are Sonicap made?)

21 hours ago, RandyH said:

Maybe yes, maybe no. I can easily imagine you listening to klipsch speakers with different caps or even different design crossovers and not know which is the real deal.

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

Maybe yes, maybe no. I can easily imagine you listening to klipsch speakers with different caps or even different design crossovers and not know which is the real deal.

let's continue with your reasoning  ,  I can easily imagine you listening to  ALK or Crites or DeanG  cloned klipsch designs  , and not know which is the real deal  Versus  new  klipsch capacitors ,  oh darn  ,  it's only dressing :rolleyes:-