Rt-12d amp replacement

Muddster

Been there, done that. I had mine repaired and it promptly failed again a week later.😡 

My solution...

Get a Rolls MB15b Promatch 2-Way Stereo Converter, and a Crown XLS1502 Two-channel amplifier. You need the converter to bump up the "line in" signal to a "Pro" level to feed the Crown. (trust me on this). Set the Crown up in 'Bridge' mode, configure the DSP setting on the front panel, and you're pretty much done.

Is the DSP as nice as what was built into the Klipsch Amp? Not even close, but the subwoofer itself works great! I also have more confidence in the Crown amp than the Klipsch (which have a dismal track record).

BTW, the woofer inside the RT-12d has an 8 ohm impedance, so you can't just connect any 'plate' amp to it. 

Good luck!

I wish my 'repaired' amp had lasted 3 years. I couldn't justify throwing another $250 plus shipping (over $500 total between two repairs) only to have it blowing fuses again in another week. Don't get me wrong, using the OEM amp would be preferred, but for me, having been burned once, the risk vs. reward wasn't there. The Crowns usually go on sale around Christmas.  'B' stock units are $380 on fleaBay. The Rolls unit is $56. So, pay roughly $440 one time, or roll the dice, and get yours repaired for $250 plus shipping. The risk would be to end up like me and having to pay the $250, plus another $440  ($690 total) after the repaired amp fails and go the Crown route.  Understand that I could be in the minority of having the OEM amp fail twice. 

Another issue is, after paying for the repair, even once, for that same cost you could get a new subwoofer. WOOT has Klipsch R-12SW 12" for $185.  Yeah, it does not have the same spec's but...🙄

Muddster, it's a crap shoot either way, and neither option is cheap. How's your luck? :)

There's also this possibility.

Good luck!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rockets said:

I wish my 'repaired' amp had lasted 3 years. I couldn't justify throwing another $250 plus shipping (over $500 total between two repairs) only to have it blowing fuses again in another week. Don't get me wrong, using the OEM amp would be preferred, but for me, having been burned once, the risk vs. reward wasn't there. The Crowns usually go on sale around Christmas.  'B' stock units are $380 on fleaBay. The Rolls unit is $56. So, pay roughly $440 one time, or roll the dice, and get yours repaired for $250 plus shipping. The risk would be to end up like me and having to pay the $250, plus another $440  ($690 total) after the repaired amp fails and go the Crown route.  Understand that I could be in the minority of having the OEM amp fail twice. 

Another issue is, after paying for the repair, even once, for that same cost you could get a new subwoofer. WOOT has Klipsch R-12SW 12" for $185.  Yeah, it does not have the same spec's but...🙄

Muddster, it's a crap shoot either way, and neither option is cheap. How's your luck? :)

There's also this possibility.

Good luck!

Your approach is correct. Klipsch sub amps have a TERRIBLE reliability reputation. Worst I know of. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...