Klipsch Heresy Owners Group

wuzzzer

I bought a set a couple years ago, refinished them, and then realized I didn't really have a place for them and sold them to a friend.  The were 1982's that had never been finished, so I took a router to the corners, glued and filled issue areas, sanded, pre-treated, stained, and poly'd them.  I also braced them, swapped out the drivers for CT-120's, A-55-G's, and CW1228's.  I also put the crossovers on smaller boards and used new capacitors, then finished off with some foam lining.  For the grilles, I had new ones cut and finished them with 70th anniversary material and new badges.  The grilles also attach with magnets as I sunk some screws into the baffle. 

The new owner loves them and they are his first Klipsch speakers after looking for some time.  I hope I don't regret selling these after we move and I find I have space for them (La Scalas are staying).

48409882252_a7a7807a64_b.jpg

49898386502_34ee5d58cb_b.jpg

50734150836_c9d68f5621_b.jpg

50804533063_49cea5237e_b.jpg

50864193968_dd0e709622_b.jpg

51365061000_3d5167390e_b.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

New Klipsch owner.  Inherited a pair of 1974 vintage Heresies form an old friend's estate:  12M796, 12M797.  They were (and will again be) powered by Crown IC150 preamp and 2 D60 amps.  The system sat for years in his living room unused.  I am in the process of slowly evaluating these units, and the turntable, and the Teac A-3440 4 track deck with the Teac 2A mixer.  My intentions are to revive the system for vinyl playback first and then decide on the tape unit later.  The Heresies are FB with little exterior abuse, so I have good hopes for resurrection.  I really like what yamahaSHO did with his cabinet internals, so that and cap replacement are my first priorities.  This will now be my third independent sound system in the same room, so I hope the speakers will all fit.  Only time will tell.

• Like 3

Also new Klipsch owner!  Was able to find some beautiful 1975 Heresys with oiled walnut finish.  All original drivers (alnico K-77 tweeters, K-55-V mids, alnico K-22 woofers).  Caps were updated, but will probably replace them with some better ones.  Quite happy.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

Hi,

my Heresy IIIs are my first Klipsch loudspeaker ever.

1121640726_DSC_0009copia.thumb.jpeg.c1b00460c06b4dfc49bde686d5033c09.jpeg

I've had stands built for them to raise their voice to ear level, but aesthetically I like them with their original slanted bases more.
They are paired to:

DSC_0012.thumb.jpeg.a445eaf423729534eeac6cc4c3dcaada.jpeg

an Esoteric K-07Xs CD player and a PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp.
In comparison to the picture they are now more distant from the wall and slightly toed-in. After years of solid state, mainly British audio this system surely is a full immersion into another sonic culture, which I love. My personal impressions on the Klipsch/PL match are to be posted in a dedicated thread.
Thanks,

Max 

PWK said his speakers should never go on stands. Any air cavity below them destroys the bottom octave of bass and deteriorates the next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Good thread idea, Wuzzer. I’ll add a couple of my Heresys to the mix. My 1980s were my first pair of Heritage speakers, I got them back around ‘02. After twenty years of lusting for La Scalas, I finally “settled” for a rough pair of HBRs. They’d apparently hung on the wall of a school music room, for most of their existence. They’d been painted white and had been hanging by aluminum French cleats, (they still have half attached to the backs). The guy I got them from intended to strip them, but gave up & painted them black. I decided I couldn’t make them look any worse so I started sanding through three laters of paint, (& a bit of veneer as well). I stained & polyurethaned them, if had had it to do over, I’d do things differently. They turned out ok though. They were built by @HDBRbuilder, my apologies for the refinish, but they look better than they did. I know that. I said, “settled” for Heresys but I realized, after finally getting La Scalas (coincidentally also 1980s), that Heresys are damn fine speakers on their own, just a bit smaller.  

58EB4D48-A061-489B-BDB9-57CEC78A70B4.jpeg

A51AF29F-31C1-4CDC-AEEF-B7614BBF115D.jpeg

0C9C6A17-E6FE-4F9D-9762-31559A9EC67B.jpeg

BDAEBC4C-9B57-4FCC-840A-B87D334B6410.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Made some slight adjustments to my setup.  I took my L&R Heresys off the 30" stands I had them on and placed them on the floor.  Found a couple door wedges to angle them up in a similar fashion as the factory risers.

They definitely sound less 'in your face' as they did on stands.  My ears are adjusting to the new sound.

I also went out and bought 4 heavy moving blankets from Harbor Freight since they had them really cheap as a black Friday special.  Placed them on my THTs since my Heresys now sit right next to them.  They definitely made an improvement and the sound isn't bouncing off the THT cabinets as much now.

1 hour ago, wuzzzer said:

Made some slight adjustments to my setup.  I took my L&R Heresys off the 30" stands I had them on and placed them on the floor.  Found a couple door wedges to angle them up in a similar fashion as the factory risers.

What was the reason for the change? Were you trying to correct an issue, or just wanted to see what would happen? I guess the bass response is likely to be better on the floor. But given your subwoofer  situation, I doubt that’s an issue. I ran mine at about that same height, a few room configurations ago. I thought they sounded good, maybe even better than on the floor. I didn’t even have a subwoofer back then.

7 hours ago, wuzzzer said:
7 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

I wanted to see how they sounded with all three Heresys up front being essentially the same height as each other.  Sounds better now as sounds pan across the front stage.  Midrange and treble are smoother now.

I wanted to see how they sounded with all three Heresys up front being essentially the same height as each other.  Sounds better now as sounds pan across the front stage.  Midrange and treble are smoother now.

Gotcha. That makes sense. 

• 1 month later...

These are my second pair of H1s. I bought them to put together a 5.1 set up in my “Music Room” for movie & gaming duty. They are HBRs from 1983. One thing that has always struck me as odd about these, and many other ‘83 Heresys (maybe all?) is the location of the connection posts. You’ll notice they are near the bottom, on previous models they are located near the top. I’m sure there have been more than a few H1s who’ve simply had the back panel removed, and re-installed upside down, obviously the label indicates these & other ‘83s came this way. Possibly this was just Klipsch switching to the modern approach of attaching cables near the bottom? When I bought them the cabinets were in decent shape, with only a couple of veneer chips. A little veneer patchwork, a light cleaning with mineral spirits & 000 steel wool; then a few coats of tung oil varnish’s had them looking nice. The grill covers were (are) warped, cracked, & missing the original cloth and badges. I replaced the cloth with the cheap stuff from P. Exp. I still need to locate used. original grills, or make some, and use nicer cloth.  From the first time I hooked them up I thought they sounded better than my 1980 H1s. More bass, just an all around smoother, balanced sound. As such, I never bothered opening them up. After a couple of years I finally decided to open them up,  to clean and tighten the connections, and install gasket material around the rear panel. That’s when I saw the squawker & woofer were different than my other H1s. the print on the drivers is faint and at first I thought they’d been replaced with aftermarket parts. Then I saw the E2 network and realized these were the H1.5s, and they really are different. 
I reconfigured things a bit during 2020, and they now serve as 2ch speakers, powered by an Onix SP3 tube amp. Mostly a vinyl system, just to recall the old days. Although my old Kenwood receiver & turntable were not this good.

AA5ECA1B-7009-4FD6-99AF-AB2F0D0215F7.jpeg

CA7EECAF-AB33-4B27-A02D-1A6C220DD52C.jpeg

1927ADC7-F85B-4726-A24B-DE4AB66BF4AF.jpeg

16FDF4BF-02CB-432C-A597-EE3205667706.jpeg

35 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

My 80 and 81 pairs have the inputs at the bottom from the factory.

I’ve seen a few but, it seems the norm was near the top. Maybe there wasn’t a spec location? My ‘80s are near the top, as are most of the others I’ve seen from around that time. Interesting, ya gotta love handmade things. 

On 11/22/2021 at 6:13 PM, Tony Whitlow said:

PWK said his speakers should never go on stands. Any air cavity below them destroys the bottom octave of bass and deteriorates the next.

Just because someone says something does not make it absolute. In this case, some speakers, in some rooms benefit from being raised off the floor.

It is that simple. You have to experiment.