Klipsch Heresy Owners Group

wuzzzer

15 minutes ago, AndreG. said:

P.S.: You seem to lack space, but it would be interesting to set up the Heresys and the JBLs together and A/B them.

Thanks AndreG!  Yeah, I'm going to set them both up for a shootout.  I don't find the horns harsh at all.  I imagine the Heresys will win the mids and highs battle, but the JBLs will probably win the battle of the bass, though the JBLs are not bass heavy and are extremely balanced as they are professional mixing speakers (4411).  The JBL sensitivity is 90db and I guess the Heresys are 96db and man do I notice the difference.  My 75 watt McIntosh amp really drives the Heresys better, not that it struggled with the JBLs, but you can sort of hear the "ease" if that makes sense?  

Now that I've lived with these Heresy 1s for a week and a half, one thing they are making me ask myself is, "how much bass do you really need?"  Because the H1s certainly provide enough, even up on stands.  It makes me sort of question how much we may, even unintentionally, boost the bass, unnaturally?  It's an interesting audiophile question.  

I think a few resistors in my McIntosh MA2275 have blown, because my phono stage is picking up some interference.  It was low on the JBLs, but since the Heresys reveal more, I'm really hearing it.  I should get it looked at, but man, this amp weighs 77lbs and it's up in the attic of my 1846 house.  I dread having to carry it down the narrow stairway.  The things we do for our hobby!

Matt

• Like 2

I have a double set-up in my living room as well, the Heresys and my Klipsch RF3s (a two way design). I find that I like to listen to classic and jazzy music on the Heresy, pop and metal and the like on the RF3.

The Heresy is even better suited to listening at low levels (late at night) and miss nothing of the sound. I think that´s what people want to say when they talk about speakers opening up sooner. 

I listen to my music in linear mode all the time, except radio. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AndreG. said:

I have a double set-up in my living room as well, the Heresys and my Klipsch RF3s (a two way design). I find that I like to listen to classic and jazzy music on the Heresy, pop and metal and the like on the RF3.

The Heresy is even better suited to listening at low levels (late at night) and miss nothing of the sound. I think that´s what people want to say when they talk about speakers opening up sooner. 

I listen to my music in linear mode all the time, except radio. 

Something I'm really noticing, especially with the jazz I'm listening to, I can hear background conversations on the music that I never heard as clearly or at all before.  It's kind of jarring because I think someone's behind me, but it's really the musicians egging each other on in the recording!  These really are "revealing" speakers and I'm diggin' 'em more each day.  

• Like 1

On 1/11/2023 at 12:51 PM, soulcat said:

Something I'm really noticing, especially with the jazz I'm listening to, I can hear background conversations on the music that I never heard as clearly or at all before.  It's kind of jarring because I think someone's behind me, but it's really the musicians egging each other on in the recording!  These really are "revealing" speakers and I'm diggin' 'em more each day.  

Congratulations. You’ve got a great pair of Heresys there. As @wuzzzermentioned they are likely H1.5s which are the transition between H1 & H2 versions. Using a different network & woofer from previous models, they just sound “better” than either. I use mine with an integrated tube amp, (not nearly as nice as yours) mostly for 2ch vinyl listening; it reminds me of how we used to listen to music. When others tell you that they need “recapped” just ignore them, & leave them as they are unless the capacitors are leaking or swollen they are just fine. Maybe open them up, check & clean the connections, but that’s all they’ll need. I hope you get your amp safely down the stairs, and repaired. 

25 minutes ago, M_Klipsches said:

Congratulations. You’ve got a great pair of Heresys there. As @wuzzzermentioned they are likely H1.5s which are the transition between H1 & H2 versions. Using a different network & woofer from previous models, they just sound “better” than either. I use mine with an integrated tube amp, (not nearly as nice as yours) mostly for 2ch vinyl listening; it reminds me of how we used to listen to music. When others tell you that they need “recapped” just ignore them, & leave them as they are unless the capacitors are leaking or swollen they are just fine. Maybe open them up, check & clean the connections, but that’s all they’ll need. I hope you get your amp safely down the stairs, and repaired. 

Thanks so much, man.  You guys on the Klipsch board are so nice.  I get my *** fried over on the McIntosh board with all the snobs.  I really appreciate the welcome.  So the 1.5 version is pretty different than the 1s, except the tweeter is the same, right?  People talk about how great the tweeter upgrade is, but I can't imagine it sounding better than it does now.  It's doing everything you want a tweeter to do.  It's crisp, but not harsh and it's very airy on instruments.

• Like 2

The  midrange driver in the 1,5  was  a  cost cutting measure  as the K-55V  was  more expensive to manufacture and only available in limited numbers  as Alnico V   prices were through the roof  .... the Heresy 1 was  an exception  ,  it used the same midrange and tweeter  as the Khorn , Belle , Lascala ,Cornwall   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OO1 said:

The  midrange driver in the 1,5  was  a  cost cutting measure  as the K-55V  was  more expensive to manufacture and only available in limited numbers  as Alnico V   prices were through the roof  .... the Heresy 1 was  an exception  ,  it used the same midrange and tweeter  as the Khorn , Belle , Lascala ,Cornwall   

WOW!  Thanks for that info!

2 hours ago, OO1 said:

Yes. I forgot about the mid switch. Cost saving or not, it’s a still a better sounding speaker. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soulcat said:

Thanks so much, man.  You guys on the Klipsch board are so nice.  I get my *** fried over on the McIntosh board with all the snobs.  I really appreciate the welcome.  So the 1.5 version is pretty different than the 1s, except the tweeter is the same, right?  People talk about how great the tweeter upgrade is, but I can't imagine it sounding better than it does now.  It's doing everything you want a tweeter to do.  It's crisp, but not harsh and it's very airy on instruments.

I will say this. As an experiment, I swapped the K-77 tweeters on my La Scalas for Crites CT-120s. I found it to be a big improvement, smoother, less harsh. On my two pairs of Heresys, I’ve not noticed the harshness that I heard on the La Scalas. It never seemed worth the trouble removing the K-77s in the Heresys, they sound good as they are. Although I’m tempted to give Dave A’s MAHL horns a try. 

3 hours ago, soulcat said:

I just took the Heresys down to clean them up now that they are officially mine (paid the guy today).  So I checked and the risers are easy to remove.  Do you think I'll get slightly more bass by removing them?  They're an inch in height.

Since you found they’re easy to remove I would do it and see if you notice a difference.

18 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

Since you found they’re easy to remove I would do it and see if you notice a difference.

wuzzzer...WOW!  So I removed the risers and on the shelves, they now produce just a tad more weighty bass, but it goes a long way to the overall balance over the frequency spectrum.  I'm actually blown away at how great they sound.  I did a shootout with the JBL 4411 pro studio monitors.  The JBLs sound really good, but when I A/B them on say, a Sinatra Capitol recording from 1957, Sinatra's voice is much more pronounced, front and center with the Heresy.  It's 3-D, rounded and just more "real" and less of a recording.  It's hard to turn away from that.  I get that the JBLs are very neutral to provide the best audio info for mixing down in the studio.  But now I'm a true believer that the Klipsch sound is more of a life-like, live sound.  I get it now.  I really love those JBLs and I bought them from my old audio professor who bought them new in 1982 or so.  They are special, but these 1984 Heresy 1.5s are going to be set up for the foreseeable future.  

Over the years, I always thought the Heresy in general looked like a good fit for me on paper, but with all the negative reviews floating around out there and the fact that they were meant to be floor speakers and I was going to use them on a shelf, I stayed away.  But it turns out that they sound great up on shelves, toe-ed in a bit, the phantom center is crystal clear and very 3-D, the soundstage is wide and the dynamics are fantastic.  Heresy IS the speaker for me.  

Matt

• Like 3

Yeah me too. I truly enjoy listening to them. Only negative I've seen so far is if the recording isn't good you will know quickly.

I did add a Klipsch KG SW passive sub. Crisp clean bass w/o all that booming noise that appears popular these days. Yeah I'm old.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone.

Mine is based in the UK, and I have a strange mix as shown in the pictures.

Old DacMagic, heavily modified. ARC SP8 again modified with some nice Paper in Oil caps and upgraded resistors. A one of a kind 211 power amp that weighs about 45 Kg and produces 12W. 

The Heresy's are unmodified IIIs. I use these with 2 subwoofers, using efficient paper cone 99db/W drivers and these are driven with high level input from the 211 into 500W transistor amps that control phase / roll off/ volume.

You can see the 15" sub with the green grille in the photo.

I also have an old Linn LP12, with a Syrinx Pu2 Gold arm

I took my H IIIs around to an old friend who had lived with Sonus Fabers for 15 years....and within an hour of listening to them he had bought a second hand pair of Heresy IIIs off eBay!! they are in my view an audiophile bargain, but in larger rooms they do benefit from a fast efficient subwoofer.

Does anyone have a schematic for the HIII crossover, I might have a play there one day.

Great!

751456158_Screenshot2023-01-26at19_55_30.thumb.png.611c5329d8468335284524bf8e7a8399.png

image.png.1192914ae03cde35c4d5454dfeff37b1.png

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Tonescout said:

Hello everyone.

Mine is based in the UK, and I have a strange mix as shown in the pictures.

Old DacMagic, heavily modified. ARC SP8 again modified with some nice Paper in Oil caps and upgraded resistors. A one of a kind 211 power amp that weighs about 45 Kg and produces 12W. 

The Heresy's are unmodified IIIs. I use these with 2 subwoofers, using efficient paper cone 99db/W drivers and these are driven with high level input from the 211 into 500W transistor amps that control phase / roll off/ volume.

You can see the 15" sub with the green grille in the photo.

I also have an old Linn LP12, with a Syrinx Pu2 Gold arm

I took my H IIIs around to an old friend who had lived with Sonus Fabers for 15 years....and within an hour of listening to them he had bought a second hand pair of Heresy IIIs off eBay!! they are in my view an audiophile bargain, but in larger rooms they do benefit from a fast efficient subwoofer.

Does anyone have a schematic for the HIII crossover, I might have a play there one day.

Great!

751456158_Screenshot2023-01-26at19_55_30.thumb.png.611c5329d8468335284524bf8e7a8399.png

image.png.1192914ae03cde35c4d5454dfeff37b1.png

Welcome to the Forum!. Whereabouts in the UK?

Love that photo. 

You might look in the Technical/Restoration section, there is a pinned thread at top (crossovers) and I believe there is a schematic in there for the HIII

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome!

I am based in West Sussex, not far from the coast. The light shade is sort of like an upside down pine cone as I built the house in an existing plot that had a large marine pine tree 'too close' to the new building to keep......but after doing a lot of research and insisting I kept it and we worked around it to build the house. So it's sort of a nod to the mature trees that surround the property.

I can't recall where I got it from to be honest, my wife found it 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/15/2023 at 9:58 PM, wuzzzer said:

If you want to add lower frequency bass to the Heresy speaker then a subwoofer is a good option. I have had a lot of commercial subs in my time, and with faster horn type speakers found them to be hard to integrate and never been happy to keep them. However if you build a sub speaker with a fast high efficiency and light coned driver and get yourself a sub amp it works very well - if you are orientated for DIY I can post some information across. I have built a 12 and 15 inch version. A friend successfully uses the 12 with his Heresy IIIs and I use a 12 and 15 at different locations in the room and at different phase. They assemble easily if you have a local CNC shop to machine from veneered plywood - just glue together like lego 🙂

On 1/28/2023 at 12:24 AM, Tonescout said:

If you want to add lower frequency bass to the Heresy speaker then a subwoofer is a good option. I have had a lot of commercial subs in my time, and with faster horn type speakers found them to be hard to integrate and never been happy to keep them. However if you build a sub speaker with a fast high efficiency and light coned driver and get yourself a sub amp it works very well - if you are orientated for DIY I can post some information across. I have built a 12 and 15 inch version. A friend successfully uses the 12 with his Heresy IIIs and I use a 12 and 15 at different locations in the room and at different phase. They assemble easily if you have a local CNC shop to machine from veneered plywood - just glue together like lego 🙂

I agree.  My THT subwoofers are incredible and go perfectly with my Heresys.