Klipsch Heresy Owners Group

wuzzzer

On 1/10/2023 at 1:41 PM, soulcat said:

Hi all,
I just joined the Klipsch Community after wanting to try "true" Klipsch speakers for a long time.  I bought a McIntosh MA2275 integrated fully tube amp 15 years ago (the only all tube integrated that McIntosh has ever made and well...they discontinued it...) and I knew then that tubes and Klipsch go hand n' hand like beans and cornbread.  But finding the right Klipsch?  I was able to try a pair of KG2s and returned them to the seller, because they weren't any better than my Paradigms and they didn't have Klipsch horns so I wasn't really getting that Klipsch signature sound.

I was using Paradigm Monitor 3s (small, 2 way with 8" woofers and rear ported, so they were boomy) and then in 2021 an old college audio professor of mine sold me his trusty JBL 4411 studio monitors (12" woofers, 3 way and front ported).  I LOVE the JBLs and they sound fantastic, but...what about Klipsch?  Horns and tubes?  I've been intrigued with the Heresy for many years...reading about them and seeing them come up for sale once in a while.  I always had a reason not to buy them.  I'm happy with my JBLs.  I don't have floor space in my record room for Heresys.  JBLs are better for near-field listening than the Heresys, etc.  Then last week, a guy who lives across the Common from me, lists a pair of Heresy 1s on FB.  I try to hold back, but my wife urges me to open a dialog.  I do and the guy offers to let me try them before I buy them.  Well, I can't say no to THAT offer.  

His parents were the only owners.  By the serials, it looks like they are 1984/5.  The cabinets are in really good shape, just need a little oil.  I hate the tiny screw speaker terminals, but hey, that's how Klipsch did it at the time, so I'm cool with it.  They have all stock parts, so my first thought was that I'd upgrade the caps and crossovers and then I set them up. 

WOW!  The highs and mids don't sound like the caps are bad.  They are smooth and 3-D sounding.  Since they don't appear to need the caps replaced, maybe I should just leave them stock, the way Klipsch intended them to be?  Of course all I've ever read is that the Heresys lack in the bass department.  They aren't lacking THAT much compared to the front ported JBLs, but the bass is tighter and a little leaner.  My small Paradigm Monitor 3s with the 8" woofer had much deeper bass due to their rear ports, but I'm evaluating now how much bass is really needed.  As you can see in the pics, my speakers are not near walls.  I know that Heresys are meant to sit on the floor, so I did try that and a whole lot of bass came back, BUT for my room, I just can't place them on the floor.  Raising them up isn't the worst thing though.  The McIntosh drives them well with 75 watts of KT88 power.  I have boosted the bass a bit using the tone controls, which I try to stay away from, but it doesn't seem to hurt the mids and highs at all.

I spent a lot of time messing with the toe-in and I've found that a slight toe-in has improved bass reproduction, created a wide soundstage with a fantastic phantom center image.  Are they better than my JBL 4411s?  I just don't know.  They are a bit different.  They are livelier and very fun to listen to so that alone justifies my purchase...maybe?

I do have a question about the risers.  As you can see in the pic, they are raised 1" off the surface.  Did they come this way or is this something that was installed either by the dealer or the previous owner?  They are not removable, but rather look tacked on.  When I look at pics of other Heresy 1s, I don't see a small riser on those.  Does having them up 1" impact bass? 

One final note: looking around the web, man do these speakers get a lot of hate thrown at them.  Lots of love too, but man, some people out there absolutely despise Heresys and I just can't understand why?

Thanks for reading.

Matt 

Salem, MA

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Matt,

I love the room! I have the Heresy IIs, which my older son bought for me when he was off at school. The labels are gone on them but I found some small inspection stickers inside them which indicates '84 or so.

::: correction- 1986 :::

Full HII, with rectangular input cup, mid horn sits closer to the woofer.

Mine have no risers, but I currently have them up about 4 feet.

They replaced my JBL 4311s, currently on duty in our living room, hooked to an H/K 630 for radio and the smaller tv.

I went from the HIIs to La Scalas, huge MWM bins and back to the Heresy... they are wonderful. I'm sure I could mix on them. I'm getting back to large horns, but that's a story for somewhere else.

Edited by Marvel
  • Like 2

On 1/28/2023 at 9:22 PM, Idontknow said:

I was amazed how much nicer the Heresy II sounded rised tp 6” and in a seated position.

79FE9725-07CE-4B88-B286-C3DC430ACB28.jpeg

Those are gorgeous.  I love the color combo.  Is that cherry wood?  The grill looks fabulous.  Did they have grill choices back then or do all 2s have that grill color? 

My Heresy 1s are about 23" high and sound pretty amazing.  

• Like 1

On 1/28/2023 at 8:21 AM, Marvel said:

Matt,

I love the room! I have the Heresy IIs, which my older son bought for me when he was off at school. The labels are gone on them but I found some small inspection stickers insixe them which indicates '84 or so. Full HII, with rectangular input cup, mid horn sits closer to the woofer.

Mine have no risers, but I currently have them up about 4 feet.

They replaced my JBL 4311s, currently on duty in our living room, hooked to an H/K 630 for radio and the smaller tv.

I went from the HIIs to La Scalas, huge MWM bins and back to the Heresy... they are wonderful. I'm sure I could mix on them. I'm getting back to large horns, but that's a story for somewhere else.

Thanks man!  That's crazy about your HIIs being from 1984 or so.  That feels a bit early, since my H1s or 1.5s are '84 and the woofer doesn't overlap at all with the mid horn.  Mine are firmly rooted in the first style, but prob have the updated mid-driver.  I've been listening non-stop for the past 4 weeks and my love for their sound grows each day.  Seriously.  I had a hard time letting the JBL 4411s go (I didn't let me them really "go," but they are not in use at the moment), but the more I listen to the HIs, the more I don't miss the JBLs.  My ears are getting used to the fact that there is no boosted bass with the H1, but when bass is needed, they bring it.  Acoustic upright bass sounds sooo good and natural on these.  I know many suggest running a sub with the Heresys, but for me, a sub with music has never felt or sounded right.  For movies, you absolutely need a sub, but for music, I feel your speakers should be able to produce enough bass.  Just my opinion and what feels right to me.  These H1s are my introduction in Klipsch heritage and now I'd love to compare to Cornwalls, Fortes, La Scalas and Khorns.  I want to hear them all!  OOOH Choruses too and...and...Quartets!  LOL!  Bring on the horns as I think my tubes can drive them all with 75 watts of KT88 power.

On 1/31/2023 at 4:21 PM, soulcat said:

Bring on the horns as I think my tubes can drive them all with 75 watts of KT88 power.

I'm sure you would have plenty of power. The MWM bass cabinets had two 15 inch woofers each and I still used the mid and tweeter from my La Scalas. I powered them with SET 2A3 amps at 3.5 watts per side for a while. They would start to run out of gas, but am normally using a modified Crown D-45 at 20-25 wpc. Plenty of power for the horns.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Marvel said:

I'm sure you would have plenty of power. The MWM bass cabinets had two 15 inch woofers each and I still used the mid and tweeter from my La Scalas. I powered them with SET 2A3 amps at 3.5 watts per side for a while. They would start to run out of gas, but am normally using a modified Crown D-40 at 20-25 wpc. Plenty of power for the horns.

Man, that's some bass.
BTW, I just noticed your Jackson Browne quote.  Nice!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Back in the 70's , I "discovered" Klipsch speakers.                                                                                                                                        I was really just starting to getting into audio equipment, having a Kenwood intergraded amp (KA-6006), Kenwood Turn Table, and some 10" 2 way speakers,... Then a friend told me about these speakers he had heard at a local Appliance store, needless to say,.. I was "blown away" by the Klipschorns, and La Scalas,.... but being just 21  at the time,.. the only one I could afford were the Heresy's (and still, needed to get a loan, $600/pair).                                                                                   Hard to believe they are 46-47 years old  (date code on 'em shows they were made in '77, but I swear I bought them in '76,.. I didn't have a job in '77!)     Less than a year ago, I decided to hook everything up,...  Hadn't really listened to them too much since '85,... then I upgraded the amp and just recently added a CD player,.. and I swear they never sounded so good!                                                                                       

IMG_2774.JPG

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, lockedandloaded said:

Local FB seller has a pair of Heresy H1 for sale. This is only photo posted, I requested more. Will this pair need total rebuild, and be more problems than they're worth?Screenshot_20230215-204858_kindlephoto-178514055.thumb.png.74edd7aadcb9307943ad0dde4557d49a.png

No way to tell from just that pic.  Why do you think they’d need a total rebuild?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lockedandloaded said:

Im unfamiliar with Heresy line, let alone early production. I'll follow up when seller provides more info. Ask is $800/BuffaloNY if anyone wants to grab them.

FYI I've purchased three original Heresy pairs (1980-1984) and $450 was the most I paid for any of them.  The most recent pair was about a year ago.

• Like 2

On 2/15/2023 at 8:52 PM, lockedandloaded said:

Local FB seller has a pair of Heresy H1 for sale. This is only photo posted, I requested more. Will this pair need total rebuild, and be more problems than they're worth?Screenshot_20230215-204858_kindlephoto-178514055.thumb.png.74edd7aadcb9307943ad0dde4557d49a.png

Honestly, they’ll more than likely function exactly as they did the day they left Hope. Plus that looks like a nice veneer. Maybe Oiled Oak? Not saying they are worth $800, but easily worth $500 if in good shape. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

is anyone using a Heresy as center speaker?
I have 2 Heresy IV as my fronts and wanted a third matching center - but the Klipsch Managers in France tried to rip my off for a B-Stock - so I am still searching in Germany for a 3rd walnut piece.

Any suggestions for a center, if I can't find a 3rd Heresy?

Thanks and cheers,
sportklotz33

4 hours ago, sportklotz33 said:

Hi guys,

is anyone using a Heresy as center speaker?
I have 2 Heresy IV as my fronts and wanted a third matching center - but the Klipsch Managers in France tried to rip my off for a B-Stock - so I am still searching in Germany for a 3rd walnut piece.

Any suggestions for a center, if I can't find a 3rd Heresy?

Thanks and cheers,
sportklotz33

I have 5 Heresys in my setup.  Previously I tried using an Academy but never liked it with Heresy mains.