Klipsch Heresy Owners Group

wuzzzer

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, billybob said:

Yes, abit rich at 8 for those but, if you want them. And ebay abit overboard and not a true indicator. If you could resell those for that after the transaction a reality check.

Yes, your decision.

I am by no means an expert on pricing and value, other than you can toss out any pricing data over 5 years old. Things started rising significantly about 5 years ago. Items selling on Facebook, etc. very quickly for 20% over “market”.

If they were 10 minutes away, I could see going for 8 hundred, but agree, with BB @billybob that a 5 hour trip on top of everything and I would just wait and post a WTB ad in the garage sale section and let your forum friends help you locate other possibilities with alerts.

Travis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Micklipsch said:

Aye. I grew up in the 80s around a pair of them. Hence why I want them in the collection :)

As 001 stated, some of these H1s start approaching HIII prices which's why I'm wondering if they're notably better sonically, or if it more falls into the realm of marginality or subjectivity. 

Heresy 1 have the same HF drivers as the  70' s khorn     , so  same tweeter and midrange driver ,  the sound is pure late 60-70's   ,   a Heresy III has  titanium drivers   + a tad more bass and  a modern crossover  + a tractrix horn  for the mids  , 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Travis In Austin said:

I am by no means an expert on pricing and value, other than you can toss out any pricing data over 5 years old. Things started rising significantly about 5 years ago. Items selling on Facebook, etc. very quickly for 20% over “market”.

If they were 10 minutes away, I could see going for 8 hundred, but agree, with BB @billybob that a 5 hour trip on top of everything and I would just wait and post a WTB ad in the garage sale section and let your forum friends help you locate other possibilities with alerts.

Travis

Not an expert either on pricing.

Having posted alerts after I first came here. Certainly not saying nice Klipsch speakers have not appreciated. Buying vintage speakers where speakers are already built cannot be linked to the manufacturing process now where with inflation, all boats are hoping to rise.

Words like rare are used frequently to flog the price.

When I purchase stocks for example, I prefer to get in low and not buy at the top hoping to profit.

Anyway yes, people with money buying to keep should pay what they like.

Klipsch do retain and appreciate over time. But speaking to the choir with you Travis. Thanks!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

I don’t think $800 is unreasonable given their condition and finish.

I’ve done several road trips in the 4-5 hour range for speakers, subwoofers, etc.

Absolutely. If they’re “the one” and you got a free day, much worth the adventure. I felt that way towards the birches he had purely for the nostalgia factor. 

Otherwise, I’m heavily biased towards walnut, and the veneers range from subdued to highly figured and busy. I like the latter so I’ll pay a reasonable premium for them. The ones here in question lean closer towards my preference so I’ll factor that. 

Appreciate all the input thus far, fellas. 

• Like 1

Way I see it @Micklipsch , you have choices or options.

Wait for them to come down depending on how long they have been listed. Taking a chance on missing them to another.

Yes negotiate a price as a way in the door as you are 21/2 hours away. Offer a lower price.

Buy them outright.

Pass and keep looking...

• Like 2

Decided to pull the trigger. We rested at $750. Will update later today after pickup.

Some additional pics. I feel these are in fantastic shape given the vintage and what I see out there.

I do get a kick out of some sellers with their “excellent condition!” descriptions when the speakers looked like they fell down a flight of stairs. 

B85D9F48-2E29-4A00-B909-8507958244E8.jpeg

C788E204-6952-46D0-9E45-6CE565A5E054.jpeg

11730BC2-64CC-4540-A49F-9F6523ACD2E6.jpeg

7A9F099D-878B-4267-871D-BB1CE1B9C94A.jpeg

69F1BE56-AF5D-413D-B15B-5281C6197D2F.jpeg

96E23C08-7F2F-4F89-BD1D-DF9BB9C6F3D3.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Micklipsch said:

Decided to pull the trigger. We rested at $750. Will update later today after pickup.

Some additional pics. I feel these are in fantastic shape given the vintage and what I see out there.

I do get a kick out of some sellers with their “excellent condition!” descriptions when the speakers looked like they fell down a flight of stairs. 

B85D9F48-2E29-4A00-B909-8507958244E8.jpeg

C788E204-6952-46D0-9E45-6CE565A5E054.jpeg

11730BC2-64CC-4540-A49F-9F6523ACD2E6.jpeg

7A9F099D-878B-4267-871D-BB1CE1B9C94A.jpeg

69F1BE56-AF5D-413D-B15B-5281C6197D2F.jpeg

96E23C08-7F2F-4F89-BD1D-DF9BB9C6F3D3.jpeg

Fantastic!

• Like 1

On 2/15/2023 at 10:31 PM, wuzzzer said:

FYI I've purchased three original Heresy pairs (1980-1984) and $450 was the most I paid for any of them.  The most recent pair was about a year ago.

Yeah, but what I'm seeing is, as the retail pricing of new speakers goes up, so does that of used/old/vintage speakers.

I bought my used Heresy's maybe 4-5 years ago. At that time they could be found in the $400-$600 range (roughly). I've since seen them, as well as most other Klipsch models only increase in price which defies my logic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Micklipsch said:

the HF-Mids  of those speakers is gonna sound  very bright  but that's the way they were designed for  vocals  , the bass is  more mellow , the sound  is old school  70's 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, OO1 said:

dont touch the crossover , dont update the capacitors ,   , the HF of those speakers is gonna sound  very bright  but that's the way they were designed for crystal clear vocals    ,and  the bass is  more mellow , the sound  is old school  70's ,  

That's a pretty good description of my '79 Heresy.

Oh and nice score micklipsch

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, billybob said:

Uh oh...now you have broken the seal.🤔

Couldn’t just go disobeying OO1 now, could I? :)

26 minutes ago, geezin' said:

That's a pretty good description of my '79 Heresy.

Oh and nice score micklipsch

Thanks, man! 

So consensus on this vintage is to leave everything alone? Don’t mess with diaphragms, X/Os unless I want a newer Heresy sound?

• Thanks 1