Tube Traps DIY Homemade

Racer  X

On 9/9/2021 at 2:58 PM, Racer X said:

I used 2" fiberglass wall sound insulation trimmed and pieced together with duct tape to form a tube. 

Are you talking about standard wall insulation having about .4lbs per cubic foot…? If so have you compressed it into a denser form…?

ASC Tube Traps use a density of about 4lbs per cubic foot which is one of many very important factor if you are trying to approach their performance…

Please understand I’m not saying DIY attempts can’t improve the sound in someone’s room but the majority of the one’s I’ve seen have design flaws that will not allow them to approach the performance of the ASC Tube Traps.

8 hours ago, NBPK402 said:

I made some back in the 80s too...very easy and def worth the investment vs buying from the manufacturer.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

I have to disagree in that the design and performance of the ASC Tube Traps are of the highest quality and their performance is well documented and has optimized voicing per the reflective performance which is a critical design feature IMHO. The build quality is also of the highest quality and I have some that are nearly 20 years old and would be impossible for someone to tell the difference between them and the new ones I’ve purchased recently…

Yes they are expensive but well worth the investment in my opinion and experience.

miketn

I have to disagree in that the design and performance of the ASC Tube Traps are of the highest quality and their performance is well documented and has optimized voicing per the reflective performance which is a critical design feature IMHO. The build quality is also of the highest quality and I have some that are nearly 20 years old and would be impossible for someone to tell the difference between them and the new ones I’ve purchased recently…

Yes they are expensive but well worth the investment in my opinion and experience.

miketn
They used to have the plans available and I made mine per the plans. I never said that ASC tube traps were not if the highest quality... I said they were worth it to make your own and save money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NBPK402 said:

They used to have the plans available and I made mine per the plans. I never said that ASC tube traps were not if the highest quality... I said they were worth it to make your own and save money.

are you still using traps  -  I tended to use 2 traps  , then I did all 4 corners  and that's when I saw a real difference 

• Like 1

No, I gave them to a friend years ago. Now I just use DIY bass traps. Back when I had the diy tube traps, I also built some diy diffusers too...which also had the plans available for diy users. Both were excellent products and if you cannot afford to buy... I highly recommend making some.

16 minutes ago, Racer X said:

I'm talking about pink sound insulation that was about 2" thick rather than the 1" spec'd in the mention in the book excerpt.  Not sure of the lbs per cubic foot, seems this varies depending on the R value.  I did not compress the fiberglass insulation bat, I just trimmed it and pieced together with duct tape.  One may of course choice to trim the insulation bat to whatever thickness they deem optimum.

The density of approximately 4lbs/cuft is very important component if your goal is to approach the performance of the ASC Tube Trap.

It’s the Resistance component of the RC + L components of the design.

25 minutes ago, Racer X said:

As for optimized voicing per reflective performance critical design feature, not quite sure what you're going on about here.  The reflective limp mass is simply a piece of plastic tarp.  The major benefit of bass traps is their bass absorption, a function of sound energy absorbed by pressure differential inside outside the tube through the fiberglass.  It does not seem that complex or in need of special tuning or knowledge.

You are wrong the reflective strip is tuned by perforations to allow low frequencies to pass through and reflect the high frequencies from ~ 500Hz up.

If you haven’t done this you are basically shorting out/restricting a portion of the trap.

32 minutes ago, Racer X said:

Very glad you've enjoyed a sampling of attempts to replicate the ASC tube trap and find your authentic ASC product superior to mine and NBPK402's amatuer attempt.  I personally have only seen mine in my living room.

If you understood the design maybe you wouldn’t have such an attitude.

17 minutes ago, Racer X said:

Also, I inspected an ASC tube trap once and was not well impressed by the build quality as you are.  If one has more money than time, then purchase of authentic retail may be perhaps better.  The advantage of DIY is not only cost savings (maybe) but being able to build to your personal preference of quality and perhaps that special glow that comes from something self produced.

I have no problem with DIY but what you have built isn’t even close to the ASC Tube Trap in performance and I’m sorry if that fact upsets you.

If you or anyone is really interested in how the ASC Tube Trap is designed and functions I suggest reading Art Noxon’s comments here. He obviously is willing to share and help the DIY community with information about how they are designed and function..

https://gearspace.com/board/studio-building-acoustics/624070-asc-tube-trap-question-yes-i-searched-first-2.html

Bottom line is I just want people to have good information and understanding and that’s why I come here and when I participate in a thread that is my only goal and I have no desire to waste time otherwise…

miketn

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mikebse2a3 said:

...what you have built isn’t even close to the ASC Tube Trap in performance...

Mike, you've piqued my interest in "tube traps" (which I don't currently own).  Can you quantify via data somewhere what you're saying?  Something that you've measured yourself is even better.

Anecdotal stories are fine but data is much better, in my experience.

Chris

• Like 1

I'm aware of "membrane traps", of which I personally classify drywall as a pretty common example for extreme low frequency absorption in-room.  In fact, that's where all the real low frequency absorption comes from in real home-sized listening rooms--at least below ~70 Hz.

I've personally seen the effects of stiffening the side walls next to the TH subwoofers in the room's from corners around floor level.  Anecdotally, I've actually seen somewhere between 3 and 9 dB improvement in some in-room measured SPL response at certain low frequencies--no kidding.

Tube traps are another animal--sort of like Helmholtz resonators without the resistive portion of the entrance, but a bit more specific in the shape of the contained internal acoustic volume (i.e., cylindrical).  I'm wondering why the interest in that shape, for one thing. And why the concern about "how well" they perform?  Are we talking the same kind of measured response differences in these devices in-room? If so, I'd like to know some of those sources/links to some information.

Chris

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Tube traps are another animal--sort of like Helmholtz resonators without the resistive portion of the entrance, but a bit more specific in the shape of the contained internal acoustic volume (i.e., cylindrical).  I'm wondering why the interest in that shape, for one thing. And why the concern about "how well" they perform?  Are we talking the same kind of measured response differences in these devices in-room? If so, I'd like to know some of those sources/links to some information.

https://ethanwiner.com/basstrap_myths.htm, see Myth #1. Winer has tons of information on his Website and in his articles.

• Like 3