Integrated amp help - got some free RF-7's and subs

Solow73

Hello, first post here. I've been doing some reading, but am having trouble making a decision. I got some speakers for free, so I am thinking about getting a new integrated amplifier. Here's my scenario...

A family member asked me to do them a favor and take the speakers they are no longer using out of their house. I now have two pairs of RF-7s, two KW-120-THX subs, and the KA-1000-THX sub amplifier. I was also given the custom made speaker cables that look like heavy jumper cable wire. They are pretty nice speakers (especially for free), so I figured why not try and use them.

This system is for my basement home gym. I only listen to it while on the treadmill, rower, or lifting weights. Sometimes my wife is exercising with me, so there may be two treadmills running at the same time or both a treadmill and the rower. So, I'm not seated in an ideal position looking for ideal hifi sound. We just enjoy loud good sounding music while working out. 

I have been using an old Sony home theater receiver (100w x 7.1) with a pair of Bose 601's. I used to have a powered sub hooked up to it until it stopped working. I only stream music to it from my phone using a cheap bluetooth adapter. It's been working great for years. I turn the volume on the receiver to about 98% of max and then just control the volume of the music from my phone signal. This system has been more than sufficient (and it was all free too). 

Since I now have the aforementioned Klipsch speakers, I decided to hook the two pairs of RF-7s to my receiver. The receiver has A/B channels, so I connected both pair of RF-7s. I can run either pair separately or both together. I have read running two pairs of stereo speakers is sacrilege, but it does sound a little bit louder and full (plus it looks cool having all 4 speakers sitting there). They easily play way louder than I need them to even with both treadmills going and the quality of sound is plenty good for gym music. I tried connecting the two subs and it turns out the sub pre-out on the receiver is what no longer works. The base from the RF-7s is fine without the subs, but I have those nice subs sitting there doing nothing, so why not get an amp that will allow me to use them. 

With all of the above said, that leads me into the "which integrated amp should I consider" question. I wasn't planning on upgrading my gym music system at all, but it would be fun to use all those free speakers. I have read plenty about the RF-7s really liking high power. I can afford a $1500 or $3000 amp to get higher wattage, but that would really be a waste of money considering my use.

I was thinking about the Denon PMA-600NE. I would only be able to connect one pair of RF-7s and the two subs. I like that it has integrated bluetooth and the bass and treble control knobs right on the front and it's only $450. Do you think the 70wpc output of the Denon will be comparable to the cheap Sony 100wpc? Or, would you recommend something else (let's say up to $1000 in case I really need to pick something with at least 100wpc).

I know that's a wall of text, but I wanted to be clear about how the system will be used. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, no need for subs but, the 1000 amp is for the subs. Think it will power each with 500 watts.

As for the integrated to lower the 4 7s, yes 100 will work but 150 watts per channel, should work better.

Slow now but, they will come with reccs on an integrated.

Calling one now that is a morning person.

Enjoy meanwhile...

Billy!

@willland

I'd suggest selling one pair of RF-7s.  Depending on condition you should be able to get $750-1250.  Use that $$ plus whatever above that you feel comfortable with to get a nice two channel integrated amp that has a subwoofer pre-out.

Here's a couple I'd recommend:

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamas801bla/yamaha-a-s801-2-ch-x-100-watts-integrated-amplifier-w/dac-black-new/1.html

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denpma150h/denon-pm-a150h-2-ch-x-70-watts-integrated-amplifier-w/built-in-dac/1.html

The Denon has built-in Bluetooth so that's a nice bonus.

Otherwise I'd recommend an inexpensive receiver that has pre-outs for the main channels and get an external amp from companies like Emotiva or this one from Musical Fidelity:

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/mufim6sprx/musical-fidelity-m6s-prx-2-ch-x-230-watts-dual-mono-power-amplifier/1.html

• Like 1

@Solow73,

Welcome to the forum.

9 hours ago, Solow73 said:

I got some speakers for free

No $$$ invested is a good way to start your Klipsch journey.

Just my thought here so take it all as you will.

Sell or move one pair of RF-7's to another room.

If you must use all 4 RF-7s in one system with an integrated stereo amp with A/B channels, there is one thing you must consider.  The amp will see a 4 ohm load for each speaker which considering you like it loud, may shorten the life of that said amp.  With that said, a high current amp is highly recommended. 

I was thinking about the Denon PMA-600NE. I would only be able to connect one pair of RF-7s and the two subs. I like that it has integrated bluetooth and the bass and treble control knobs right on the front and it's only $450. Do you think the 70wpc output of the Denon will be comparable to the cheap Sony 100wpc? Or, would you recommend something else (let's say up to $1000 in case I really need to pick something with at least 100wpc).

Not a bad choice with the Denon but a little more horsepower may be a better choice.  The Denon PMA-600NE is their entry level stereo integrated amp that is better suited for a pair of bookshelf speakers or small/medium floorstanders.  

I can afford a $1500 or $3000 amp to get higher wattage, but that would really be a waste of money considering my use.

No you don't have to spend that much to get something to drive your RF-7s well but if a Denon is one of your choices, I would suggest this, which is less than $1500.00.  No bluetooth though.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denpma1600ne/denon-pma-1600ne-integrated-amplifier-w/dac/1.html

For even less, this Yamaha stereo receiver may be a nice alternative.  Many nice features including bluetooth, subwoofer out, room correction,

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrn803bla/yamaha-r-n803-2-ch-x-100-watts-networking-stereo-receiver-new/1.html

Yamaha R-N803D Laboratory

Since most of the loudspeakers are 4 ohms (although half of them are labeled as 8 ohms by the manufacturers), we did not consider 4 ohms to be "extremely difficult" and we did all the measurements with both 8 and 4 ohms. in output ("non-exceptional") mode.

It was a good choice. At 8 ohms, when driving one channel, the power is as much as 146 W, slightly less in the two-channel mode (2x133 W), and at 4 ohms, the R-N803D "turns up" wonderfully, as befits a decent stereo amplifier - in one channel the power reaches 240 W, and with two loads simultaneously - 2 x 207 W, which is clearly more than in the manufacturer's data, which promises 2 x 160 W (at 4 ohms).

The above Yamaha has been on my radar for quite some time.

Bill

• Like 2

From my experience with RF-7 version 1 speakers, they like higher wattage amps. When I used a 40 watts per channel integrated amp, there was a lot missing in the midrange frequencies. We then used the same integrated amp as just the preamp and hooked up a 200 watt per channel amp, and the midrange frequencies played with more definition. 

I've tried this setup with other Klipsch speakers and never noticed anything near this dynamic.

I'm not saying you need a 200 watt per channel amp, but I do recommend something with some decent headroom.

• Like 2

Thanks for the suggestions. From a cost perspective, I'm now thinking a stereo receiver may be the way to go if I want to use the subs. I like the specs on the Yamaha R-N803D.

A single pair of RF-7s running off the Sony STR DE-995 are plenty sufficient, so now I have to decide if I want to spend money to bring out more of their capability.

If you are buying new, you're more likely to find a stereo (2 channel) integrated amp than full blown stereo (2 channel) receiver. For best sound result for music, I would recommend not buying an AV receiver (something for surround sound). You could always check the garage sale section on this forum to look for used equipment as well as Craigslist, etc. If you find something and you want some input for forum members, just tell is the model and the price of what you Dobbs l found and someone can give a recommendation on if it might be a good fit for you.

The benefit to buying new is some dealers (if you happen to have one near you) let you take home a demo unit that you are interested in to try it out in your home with your speakers.

• Like 1