FAVORITE FICTIONAL CHARACTER

BigStewMan

Disclaimer:  I"m not a fan of Hollywood in general.

To the point, when done correctly, a movie or television series is impactful.  We, in a sense, create a relationship with the characters.  When that happens, it's probably the result of good writing. I'm very critical of writers these days and I think it lazy to just resort to sex.  "I don't feel like thinking today, just write a scene where she shows her boobs."

But, who are your favorite fictional characters from either big or small screen?

For what it's worth ... I'm more like the character Doug Heffernan in the show King of Queens and my ex-wife would agree. But, I also identify with characters such as George Bailey in It's a Wonderful Life. I've been blessed, no doubt about it; but I often fail to focus on that. A woman once told me "You've done such amazing things in life" and I was shocked as I don't view my life as extraordinary. 

Because I'm so messed up, I also really like George Costanza.  I took one a quiz recently that was supposed to determine which literary character we were.  They asked a series of questions and then told me that I was Atticus Finch. 

• Like 2

Name sounds familiar...Finch.

No my ex played in a movie partly shot in Tallahassee at a restaurant there with a fountain scene. She played a pregnant woman milling around. Watched it but never saw her.

Movie, Something Wild...

Hardly a classic, lol... cool.

• Like 1

You know Steve, I could live with Connery, who wanted out because of being type cast as Bond. Even Lazenby who looked the part, scar and all and good actor. Same for Moore, with tongue in cheek, mine. After was a mish mash to me. Departing as far as being unrecognizable from Fleming's works.

And, now looks like more of the same of course.

At least I have all the works, cept for Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

Oh well, show biz... thanks.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, billybob said:

You know Steve, I could live with Connery, who wanted out because of being type cast as Bond. Even Lazenby who looked the part, scar and all and good actor. Same for Moore, with tongue in cheek, mine. After was a mish mash to me. Departing as far as being unrecognizable from Fleming's works.

And, now looks like more of the same of course.

At least I have all the works, cept for Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

Oh well, show biz... thanks.

My favorite Bond was Roger Moore. I also think Pierce Brosnan made a good 007.  Now, my brother, who is a show off, err... a reader, says that Daniel Craig does the best job at making Bond resemble the literary character that Bond was.  As for Chitty Chitty Bang Bang ... well, I learnt long ago to NEVER watch the Dick Van Dyke show while you're eating.  I laughed so hard I had an asthma attack. It was the episode where Laura was due to have the baby and he is sleeping in his suit so he won't have to waste time getting dressed. There is a scene where he's in bed and has his hat on the headboard and he's laying in bed and grabbing his hat to put in on, as if practicing.   Epic comedy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As usual, I couldn't narrow it down.

Favorite, in that they are well drawn characters, well written and well acted, certainly

not necessarily admired by me.. 

Film: 

Rick in Casablanca (Bogart)-- or even Captain Louis Renault (Claude Rains).

Terry Malloy in On the Waterfront (Marlon Brando)

Phileas Fogg in the 1956 version of Around the World in 80 days (David Niven)

Drummond (modeled after Clarence Darrow) in Inherit the Wind (Spencer Tracy)

John Adams in 1776 (William Daniels)

Nixon in Oliver Stone's Nixon (Anthony Hopkins) -- much, but not all, of which was supported by H. R. Haldeman's book.

Mrs. Doubtfire in Mrs. Doubtfire (Robin Williams)

Seymour Parrish in 1 Hour Photo (Robin Williams)

TV:

Toby Ziegler in The West Wing  (Richard Schiff)

Both TV and Film:

Spock

Radar O'Reilly

• Like 1

On 9/10/2021 at 11:28 PM, BigStewMan said:

Disclaimer:  I"m not a fan of Hollywood in general.

To the point, when done correctly, a movie or television series is impactful.  We, in a sense, create a relationship with the characters.  When that happens, it's probably the result of good writing. I'm very critical of writers these days and I think it lazy to just resort to sex.  "I don't feel like thinking today, just write a scene where she shows her boobs."

But, who are your favorite fictional characters from either big or small screen?

For what it's worth ... I'm more like the character Doug Heffernan in the show King of Queens and my ex-wife would agree. But, I also identify with characters such as George Bailey in It's a Wonderful Life. I've been blessed, no doubt about it; but I often fail to focus on that. A woman once told me "You've done such amazing things in life" and I was shocked as I don't view my life as extraordinary. 

Because I'm so messed up, I also really like George Costanza.  I took one a quiz recently that was supposed to determine which literary character we were.  They asked a series of questions and then told me that I was Atticus Finch. 

cropped_d684081a.jpg

I can see that ... just needs to have a beanie cap maybe some Ray bans...

• Like 1