It's been twenty years today...

JohnJ

Since the USA was attacked.

Has the way you looked at things changed?

On a national level I didn't hear anything commiserating  :emotion-50:

Living near Cape Canaveral, the fighter jets ramped up their flights that day before noon time.

Did not hear any more airliners after lunch and the 15s and more went screaming at low altitudes multiple times daily for weeks. Satellite Beach and the Cape's AFB were busy.

NEVER FORGET!

• Like 1

What I remember most vividly is some people from countries that are supposed to be our allies saying we as a nation deserved or asked for it. It has changed the way I see those parts of the world. Not from a news report but in online conversations in the hours and days following.

I was working in Gaithersburg MD about 11 miles as the crow flies from the Pentagon. We could se the smoke on the horizon. Miltary aircraft flying low overhead. The feds came and confiscated our videos from the security cameras. Scary times.

The country has become mean-spirited and divided since then. Not sure how much is related to the attack but sure is coincidental. It seems to have degraded the US to a third world country. Sad. Should have brought us together. Sure it did for awhile but look at things now.

• Like 2

• Moderators

A sad day, the victims were just people going to work.

Never forget, this made some people happy, just because it's a way of life they don't agree with. 

Please do not get this locked, everyone has oponions we can't say here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

John J;  

Seen that this morning, it was great.

40 minutes ago, joessportster said:

tip-toeing is overated

True, I agree.

40 minutes ago, joessportster said:

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

True but there is a time and place to fight, where it does not matter, it makes no difference.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

@geezin' I hear you and would love to elaborate...

But I like being here and tip-toeing is difficult for me.

Sure that some can conceive where we're coming from...

It was difficult to word that in a way that crossed no lines. Took awhile.

Be nice for us to remember we're all on the same team here. It seemed that way in the days after the attack. I recall it was so quiet for some time after 9/11. No one going anywhere,no planes flying. Weird.     

1 hour ago, geezin' said:

The country has become mean-spirited and divided since then. Not sure how much is related to the attack but sure is coincidental. It seems to have degraded the US to a third world country. Sad. Should have brought us together. Sure it did for awhile but look at things now.

It's simple:  People (lied) forgot - or people weren't alive/comprehending for it.

This is the harrowing face of reality.

• Thanks 1

It wasn't bait, it was just observation and fact.  A lot of people weren't alive or able to comprehend what was happening.  I certainly don't recall everything from being 5 years old.  It's what happens.  As for the "people forgot line", have you looked at a social media timeline today?  None of that was bait - it was simple fact.  It's sad, but it's world we live in today.

They ran a sad news story locally about how there are already plenty of students that shrug it off.  Maybe it's just my history background, maybe it's something else, no idea...but that irks me a bit.  The magnitude of "so-what's" I've seen this year is really sad.

• Like 1

My best friend (who happened to visit last night), guitar playing bud, was working at the Edison Historic site in NJ. They sat on the roof and watched the collapse.

He retired after working at the Army museum in PA, then in DC.

I was at home, sick... had a call, was glued to the tv the rest of the day.

A very sad day.

• Like 2

- 911   was 3 very sad events , the 1st was the Attack and the human toll  -

- the 2nd are the Firefighters , the Police Officers and  the Men and Women from all walks of life who volunteered and who  lost their lives trying to save others  -

- the  3rd was all the Brave who were denied Medical and Financial Compensation after contracting  Cancers very early on , from the Chemicals  they breathed during 911 .

On another note, a large area of Paris has extremely high levels of lead from the fire at Notre Dame Cathedral. Lead was used to seal all the copper roofing sheets and downspouts, etc.

Lots of after effects of the WTC collapse. Looking back at some of the photos is painful. Having lost several loved ones and friends over the last few years has left my emotions pretty close to the surface.