Call for PWK Papers

Langston

105902965_TopLevel.thumb.png.de77d90d36a32097c2fcfec6eb9eeb94.pngGreetings!  Your list is Impressive!  However, the Museum has an unfair advantage.  The current Archive index to "PWK Papers and Speeches" is attached.  It is expected to grow when our archives are located in a space conducive to exploration.  Note that most have a Klipsch date associated (YYMMDD).  The folders have multiple page scans.  The individual pages in the right three columns have yet to be collected into folders.  There are also folders with additional content, such as the "Letter to the Editor" folder, also attached.

I cannot supply all of these at this time, but a project to make all available does need to happen!

LTE.png

• Like 4

Thanks so much Jim - and sorry for another newbie question, but is it possible to see these papers at the Museum? If so, would it be OK to bring a scanner for the papers of interest and a hard disk for stuff that's been digitized?

I'd love to take a week or so to go through everything. I'd also like to get an understanding of the scope involved in "a project to make all available". I'm interested in helping, though I have a feeling I may regret ever typing those words. : )

PWK fascinates me as much as Heyser.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I appreciate your reference to Heyser.  I've seen a PWK letter to him addressed to "Teacher".

The paper archives are essentially a mixed up mess for the most part.  It would be very difficult to find anything until we have the opportunity to start reorganizing them.  The opportunity keeps slipping into the future due to the day-to-day demands of "running a museum". 

They were "blown up" by me during the last several years of employment at Klipsch.  It was a scramble to explore them before my retirement, because there was no non-profit museum envisioned, and there was discussion of donating them elsewhere.  Not to mention they were moved to at least 8 different locations from 1978 to 2015.  Keeping them at all was a "lay in front of the bulldozer" proposition several times.  Fortunately that "precariousness" ended after Voxx came on the scene.  [Thank you John!]

The "scope" is significant.  If you would like to discuss offline how you might help, please start the discussion at jim@klipschmuseum.org.

• Like 3

At first glance, you guys have stuff I don't (or you will by the time you go one citation-deep in what's already listed).  Guessing there's a ton of stuff @WMcD posted here already, although links may be broken so maybe it's not a bad spot here (?).  Mindful of burdening the board with another set of copies, not sure what's sensible???    Thanks also for that photo, Jim (also saved it--and seem compelled to utter the phrase "boss threads" one more time while alive).  Appreciate the list of existing materials to prevent dupes. 

Museum pile might be screaming for a Library Sciences internship althought I'm sure everyone has already thought of the easy ways out.  Skimmed the undergrad NMSU page and struck-out for the program (but they might've all been renamed something else now).  Google tells me 38 library science masters came out of U of Central AR in 2019...and maybe their dept needs applications for students.

https://uca.edu/gbulletin/fields-of-instruction/library-media-and-information-technologies/

Sounds like Jim might as well come out of this with another degree just for applying...seriously, enormous gratitude for your efforts in what surely is endless, thankless, and tiring at times--sincerely appreciated!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grindstone said:

Maybe an LTE I had stashed because I liked it a lot...

It is excellent and true. I'm starting to notice fundamental articles vs. their derivatives - your clipping is a derivative of:

Eight Cardinal Points by PWK4.pdf

In contrast, it's fascinating to see attempts to create a small driver with a huge Xmax to bridge the output gap a bit between direct radiators and horns. Xmax to the moon won't aid efficiency and it certainly will increase frequency based modulation. Thus, there's a limit to what they can do even if they figure out how to make the poor thing swing like Duke Ellington.

• Like 1

Nah, Mr. Stanley Fay White (RIP) had that covered :)  (I'd pay money to hear what PWK thought of Stan but I suspect it was an even fight against his impressions of Mr. John E. Karlson.)   Audio...room for everybody.  Thanks for the link.  Can't fault the big-stroke people for trying to hit some market need and have no doubt they'll find support (I'm only sure that it wont be from those of us who've heard fronthorn bass). 

stan_white_duke_ellington_ad_hifi_55jan.jpg

• Like 1