Mark Levinson And Klipsch

ka7niq

I lived in Seattle back in the 80's. My best friend Mark owns Definitive Audio, and they were Levinson Dealers. Mark Levinson came to town, and I was invited by my friend Mark to join him and Mark Levinson at the Space Needle for dinner. I sat right next to Mark Levinson, and I asked him "Mark, what are the ultimate speakers one can buy" He thought for a minute, and to my great surprise he said "Klipschorns" !

He told me you need to use equalization with them, and also told me you need to get the tweeters out of them, and turn them vertical, for best imaging.

His answer surprised me, but I have never forgot what he told me.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, ka7niq said:

I lived in Seattle back in the 80's. My best friend Mark owns Definitive Audio, and they were Levinson Dealers. Mark Levinson came to town, and I was invited by my friend Mark to join him and Mark Levinson at the Space Needle for dinner. I sat right next to Mark Levinson, and I asked him "Mark, what are the ultimate speakers one can buy" He thought for a minute, and to my great surprise he said "Klipschorns" !

He told me you need to use equalization with them, and also told me you need to get the tweeters out of them, and turn them vertical, for best imaging.

His answer surprised me, but I have never forgot what he told me.

klipsch  had the Cornwall Vertical series which mounted the tweeter vertically , and older Klipschorn  speakers also mounted the  EV T35  tweeter vertically ,  so  Mark Levinson seems to have  preferred  to position the tweeter alike the older klipsch designs-

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RandyH said:

klipsch  had the Cornwall Vertical series which mounted the tweeter vertically , and older Klipschorn  speakers also mounted the  EV T35  tweeter vertically ,  so  Mark Levinson seems to have  preferred  to position the tweeter alike the older klipsch designs-

The Vertical Tweeter makes them image better. I have heard Vertical Cornwalls, and they image better.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, pallpoul said:

I love my Klipschorns just as they came from the factory, sounding jut amazing. I wonder why he said that. 

I don't know, but I was surprised he said that. My friends store sold Mark Levinson stuff, but they were not a Klipsch dealer.

1 hour ago, richieb said:

Levinson was married to Kim Cattrall. Obviously a man of culture and good taste. 

Yes, but realize he no longer owns Levinson. Many years ago Sandy Berlin took it over, then sold it to Harman International.

I do not hold Mark Levinson in the same regard as Saul Marantz, or even David Hafler. Both Marantz and Hafler designed their own stuff.

Levinson hired designers, first John Curl, then Tom Colangelo.

• Like 2

On 9/11/2021 at 7:05 PM, ka7niq said:

The Vertical Tweeter makes them image better. I have heard Vertical Cornwalls, and they image better.

I am in the process of modding my '87 Khorns, I installed Greg's V-Trac mid-range horns, DaveA's SMAHL v2 tweeter lenses w/ DE-120 drivers. Waiting on BMS 4592s and ALK ES crossovers. I ordered the V-TracII with the motorboard cut for Beyma CP25s. I added a 1/4" piece of plywood to the motorboard cut to fit the SMAHLs. All I need to do is rotate the adapters 45 degrees to mount the tweeters vertically. I'll have to give it a try and see what the result is.

2 hours ago, babadono said:

I think ALK did tests with Dave Harris' eliptrac tweeters and determined horizontal was the way to go. But then again that was with Dave's not Dave's:)

Every tweeter is different. I have owned both Vertical and Regular Cornwalls, and there was absolutely no comparison as far as imaging goes. The Vertical Cornwalls imaged much better. However, this comes at the expense of a smaller sweet spot. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...