EL34 Old vs New

TubesGlo

20210914_084803.thumb.jpg.1502b15ed6e8b90749328a5f0dc45e39.jpgLast year I picked up a ST-70 in great condition from the owner of my local electronics repair shop for less than 400.00. It had a set of Dynaco Mullard EL34 xf2's that test strong and pretty evenly matched on a MaxiMatcher II,  probably worth as much as the amp. I immediately  installed a new factory style board from Dynakitparts as well as a quad cap can, choke,  bias upgrade with balance feature, replaced se rectifier with diode etc. I have original good testing RCA black plate 7199's so went with original board with option for adapters.

When the tubes were tested I was told they'd probably outlive me but I started playing with current production EL34's in hopes of finding one close in sound to the originals to alternate and maybe preserve my Mullard's. First I tried the New Sensor Mullard's which didn't cut it and after testing all the rest ended up selling them. A friend loaned me his JJ's and EH EL34's. No go on the JJ and the EH were identical to the New Sensor Mullard. Now here's the surprise. I installed a set of Groove Tubes EL34M and was impressed. First off they all tested within 3% plate current, hold a steady bias and sound so close in every way to the original Mullard's that anyone would be hard pressed to distinguish between the two. I'm not sure how long they'll last but as a stand in for my originals they'll do just fine. I've since had Sheguang EL34A and TAD EL34M loaned by a friend. The TAD and Groove Tubes appear to be identical from the same Sheguang production line. The funny thing after all this is that with the 3 or 4 sets of NOS driver tubes, 6gh8a and 6u8a, the 7199 sounds the best and those differences are more distinguishable than those of the EL34's. My Cornscala's resolve more than any other speaker I've heard so perhaps as subjective as all this may be these speakers are able to disclose nuances that otherwise may have been hidden. The old tubes be they Mullard or your favorite flavor are in a league of their own. Good ones are obviously hard to come by and very expensive. As a second string sub for my Mullard's, the Groove Tube EL34M and TAD EL34M (same tube) do the best job of those I've played with in imitating the classic Mullard EL34 sound. Genalex Gold Lion KT77 and the new Psvane although highly regarded are priced too close to vintage tubes for me to have any interest in. All subjective and just my opinion.

Edited by TubesGlo
added sentence
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1