Reflective absorption

ssh

37 minutes ago, ssh said:

Is Roxul or acoustic foam more efficient for H/T use? I'd like to cover with framed posters but am thinking that the glass would negate the absorption.

SSH

I have used a lot of Roxul in the past with excellent results.  And yes, the glass would negate the absorption.

I would go with Roxul or any other similar mineral wool absorption over acoustic foam, although I'm not sure what acoustic foam you are referring to, as there are many types. My bigger concern however is what you mean by covering it with framed posters and glass negating the absorption. If you cover the absorption panels with anything that isn't acoustically transparent, such as a poster or glass, then it will definitely defeat the absorption. Glass is highly reflective of sound waves.

Unless you are planning on printing your posters on acoustically transparent material, which is definitely an option, but then I would have them done by a company that uses an acoustically transparent print technique to ensure best results. 

I hope this helps.

Brendon

Yes, you would not want glass, you want the sound to pass through the panels with ease.  Check out this site for ideas on creating art panels.  I would also investigate acoustic cotton for in house panels.

https://www.acoustimac.com/acousticart

Also check out this link to a guy who makes panels over at AVS for some ideas as well.  There is a long thread there for how to make them diy.

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/acoustic-panels.2951222/#post-55534842

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've installed about 3/4 of the acoustical room treatments and temporarily placed speakers in the room. The 396s got hooked-up and sound pretty good. It was nice to spend a few hours with some music. I cleaned the JFL 2A3s a bit and will hook them up to the Khorns tomorrow. It's been an 18 month remodel in the house, but I'm starting to get some use out of it, even though it's still a few weeks from completion.

SSH

• 8 months later...
5 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

Most rooms can benefit from acoustic treatment. Different methods for various frequency ranges. Some thick bass traps have smooth surfaces to reflect high frequencies.

This is my next audio endeavor for sure can't afford the new Jubes.

• Like 2

I started my first absorption panels in 2014.  Over time came back and added some grids on some for reflection / diffusion via a simplified hacking of the RPG BAD panels.  I have used 12 of the 2" cotton panels from AcouticMac mentioned above.  It has really helped my small room which has a variety of walls : plaster and lather, wallboard on cinder block, and wallboard studded to brick.  Still at it, replacing the painted masonite panels with stained plywood for a different look.  

bsmt side 2016.JPG

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I'm considering some room treatments now, because I've taken the hardware side of the system about as far as I want to.  However, I don't want to just stick various devices in various parts of the room and hope for the best.  I'm thinking about getting an expert in to take a look and listen, so it will be done right the first time.  Hopefully, I can find someone on the Island, because if they have to come over on the ferry (90 minutes each way, plus an hour or two waiting time before you get on in most cases, with his hours clicking away steadily.  Total with driving time to and from the docks = ~7 hours!) from Vancouver, it would get very costly before he even walks in my door.  That would be just the estimate.  Then there would be the delivery and installation.  That means I really need to find a local expert.

On 7/31/2022 at 4:16 PM, flatgrass said:

I started my first absorption panels in 2014.  Over time came back and added some grids on some for reflection / diffusion via a simplified hacking of the RPG BAD panels.  I have used 12 of the 2" cotton panels from AcouticMac mentioned above.  It has really helped my small room which has a variety of walls : plaster and lather, wallboard on cinder block, and wallboard studded to brick.  Still at it, replacing the painted masonite panels with stained plywood for a different look.  

bsmt side 2016.JPG

At the same time, I'm pondering new cabinets and fixtures for the kitchen and one bathroom.  Add that up, and there goes the price of a car.  Yikes!

BTW, I see you have the classic box fan, once a staple in every home.  Is that Harvest Gold?  I still have mine from 1973.  It's Avocado Green.  All it's ever needed was some dusting of the fan blades a few years ago.  Good stuff lasts.

• Like 1

That was half of my HVAC system for this untreated basement room.  The panel heater is its complement.  I somehow came in possession of it (used) in 1982.  Has traveled with me to east, gulf, and west coast and many places in between.  Many an apartment, rental house, and BOQ over the years.  Served me well, still works, but have placed it in reserve.  Two smaller ones now replace it.

• Like 1