Good Upgrade?

erikcave

I have been watching the price drop on a couple of craigslist deals in my area that are really tempting me. I am thinking about upgrading my current 20 year old setup:

• Center: Sony SS-CN495H

• L/R Towers: Sony SS-MF550H

• Surrounds: Sonly SS-MB100H

To this:

• Center: Klipsch R-25C

• L/R Towers: Klipsch R-28F

• Surrounds: Klipsch R-15m

For about $350.

I have a Klipsch Sub 12 that I would keep.

I know all of these are the entry level speakers for their time, but I am just looking to boost my system on a tight budget. I use my system primarily for movies and video games with some music. My room is 14x14 with 8 foot ceilings. I would love to get any input on this idea. Good deal? Better sound? Would you recommend something else in this budget range? Thanks.

• Like 1

Certainly an upgrade. Price doesn’t seem too bad. Although with some patience something better may come along. Maybe sell the Sonys and save some money then trade/sell up. RF-3 or RF-35 with matching RC-3 or 35 centers tend to be in the 300-400 range. All just from my experience building up my system. Good luck!

On 9/14/2021 at 6:32 PM, CWOReilly said:

Certainly an upgrade. Price doesn’t seem too bad. Although with some patience something better may come along. Maybe sell the Sonys and save some money then trade/sell up. RF-3 or RF-35 with matching RC-3 or 35 centers tend to be in the 300-400 range. All just from my experience building up my system. Good luck!

Thanks for your comment.  Are RF-3's a better speaker than the R-28F's?  I thought they were older and not as good.  It is so hard to tell which models are better than others.  I actually see a set of RF-3's with a RC-3 and two RS-3's  someone is asking $400 for.  

Edited by erikcave
  • Like 1

My two cents: Both speakers aren´t that much different. The R28f are newer, bass-reflex-port is front firing, which is better in confined spaces, because you can place them closer to a wall/ corner without the bass getting boomy. They will also eat more of Your budget.

The RF3s are rear-firing, one has to mind that when placing them in the room. The RF3 is a bit fickle, i had to move mine around some to find balance between imagng and bass. As You´ve seen, a complete set can be had without getting poor. Watch out for the vinyl verneer, it is prone to warping.

At the end of the day, the only way to find out what You really like, is to listen which speaker suits you better. As i said, spec-wise they are close. I´m happy with my RF3s.

• Like 1

Thanks again everyone for the comments.  I went to look at the R28F's tonight and didn't get them.  The cabinets were all scratched up and speaker grills had some holes in them.  Otherwise I think I would have loved them.  Anyway, thanks for the input.  Back to square one again!

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, erikcave said:

Thanks again everyone for the comments.  I went to look at the R28F's tonight and didn't get them.  The cabinets were all scratched up and speaker grills had some holes in them.  Otherwise I think I would have loved them.  Anyway, thanks for the input.  Back to square one again!

Patience. Something better will come along. 

On 9/15/2021 at 10:19 PM, erikcave said:

I actually see a set of RF-3's with a RC-3 and two RS-3's  someone is asking $400 for.  

This seems like a great deal to me assuming everything works and is in good condition personally if I was throwing together a budget TV surround system this is the route I'd go. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Age does not mean much when talking audio - especially speakers.  Some of the best speakers you'll see and hear are older (look at most KHorns, Heresy, Chorus, Belles, etc).  The newest speaker in any of my configurations is dated 2007, the next newest is 2003.  

Alone the RF-35's *or* the RC-62 II are easily $350 - so that's a hell of a deal.  The 35's are the speakers that replaced the RF-3's and RF-3 II's.  They were superseded by the RF-82.  All will perform well over the R-28F as originally posted.

42 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

Age does not mean much when talking audio - especially speakers.  Some of the best speakers you'll see and hear are older (look at most KHorns, Heresy, Chorus, Belles, etc).  The newest speaker in any of my configurations is dated 2007, the next newest is 2003.  

Alone the RF-35's *or* the RC-62 II are easily $350 - so that's a hell of a deal.  The 35's are the speakers that replaced the RF-3's and RF-3 II's.  They were superseded by the RF-82.  All will perform well over the R-28F as originally posted.

Thank you for this.  I am such a beginner when it comes to understanding speaker tech that this is really helpful.  I was thinking this is a good deal as well, so I will most likely jump on it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, erikcave said:

I have kept looking and now see someone offering this deal

Two RF35's

One RC-62 II

For $350

This seems like a pretty good deal.  The RF35's are older, but seem to be pretty solid.  I would love your input on this.  

Yes

On 9/14/2021 at 6:51 PM, erikcave said:

Would you recommend something else in this budget range? Thanks.

for the highest value at the lowest price 4-500$ range - the Klipsch Heresy 1 -  the sound quality is simply unbeatable--REAL wood cabinets -higher quality components K55V-K77-K22

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RandyH said:

for the highest value at the lowest price 4-500$ range - the Klipsch Heresy 1 -  the sound quality is simply unbeatable--REAL wood cabinets -higher quality components K55V-K77-K22

But this could bring the OP into center troubles, place a third Heresy – optimum; does He have the space?