Klipsch QA issues…

BenJB

Long story short I bought a pair of new Klipsch RF-7 iii’s in Febuary of this year and noticed right away the finishes (natural cherry) had very distinct lines through the veneer that looked like cracks to the naked eye. I get it it’s veneer and some lines are normal, but these were BAD. I finally received the replacements today after having several issues with the freight company, hooked them up and noticed one of the 10” drivers weren’t functioning at all. Shined a flashlight in the rear port and found the driver was luckily just unplugged. It was an easy enough fix for me to just remove the rear port for that driver and make the connection, but come on Klipsch. QA should be top notch in my opinion and these issues should have been caught beforehand! Overall I’m pleased with the new units, even with the one veneer being a darker shade and the drivers are of a different copper color between both units as well? I took some pics that will explain, but harder to tell in the pics than it is in person for sure.

Best way for me to explain the drivers is, the LH channel drivers are more reddish/ orangish copper and the veneer of that one is also darker or more “orangish”, while the RH channel drivers are more natural copper looking or “yellowish” and the veneer on that one is lighter and/ or more “sandy” looking. Thoughts?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Only positive experience is allowed here. Only this brand for the last 31 years for me but all things change

I've been only Klipsch since 1985; but that loyalty isn't absolute. They don't treat me well, I'll buy something else. Thankfully, I've not had any problem with them. 

• Like 2

Well yes, guess we can find out if this is the right place.

Have a problem?

Let's just post a crap bomb in the Home Theatre section of the forum for visibility sake.

Yes, we'll sort it for you.

Anything else, or, how can we best help you?

Come again...it's Cool inside!

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, BenJB said:

Best way for me to explain the drivers is, the LH channel drivers are more reddish/ orangish copper and the veneer of that one is also darker or more “orangish”, while the RH channel drivers are more natural copper looking or “yellowish” and the veneer on that one is lighter and/ or more “sandy” looking. Thoughts?

Check the serial numbers on the back labels to see if they are consecutive. Someone may have given you a pair that is not in sequence.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, BenJB said:

Just seeing if others have had similar experiences or not, that’s what the Klipsch community forums are for right?

-Book matched veneer can have variant shades -

let's concentrate on the woofers  - you fixed the connection , done , good job -

You say the woofer's copper color does not match  , place the speakers side by side and re-check in direct light -

- if they do not match , call your Dealer -

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RandyH said:

yeah , it jumps at you --like 2 different speakers ----the left speaker is darker than the left , for the veneer and the copper of the woofers -

My thoughts exactly, I’m glad someone else see’s it. I thought maybe I was going crazy!

On 9/14/2021 at 9:30 PM, BenJB said:

noticed right away the finishes (natural cherry) had very distinct lines through the veneer that looked like cracks to the naked eye.

That's probably because you got cherry.  Tons of them are like that.  This is assuming the lines were right in the middle.  If so, the wood comes in like that from the veneer company for some reason.  They make them with kind of a seam.  Walnut and black never do this.   It looks more funny on some than others.  

On 9/14/2021 at 9:30 PM, BenJB said:

hooked them up and noticed one of the 10” drivers weren’t functioning at all. Shined a flashlight in the rear port and found the driver was luckily just unplugged.

That's happened maybe twice to me, ever, at least one was on Cornwalls.  I can't prove anything but what I assume happens is that they weren't totally secured on the assembly line, just kind of barely attached, which passed the final inspection (at the end of the line they hook them up and run a sweep to make sure all drivers function), then during shipping a big bump on the trucks cause the wire to fall off.  If they were just slopping them together and hoping for the best and totally missing a wire, it wouldn't pass the final sweep test, yet somehow it did.