LA scalas Modded Socal $1000

MEH Synergy

8 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

It can easily. Bargain indeed.  Would have picked those up for myself if the drive wasn't 6 hours each way from me. 

you prefer Lascala to the Cinema EV TL 606  -Twin woofer speakers you had   with big horns ?  am I missing something -

6 minutes ago, RandyH said:

you prefer Lascala to the Cinema EV TL 606  -Twin woofer speakers you had   with big horns ?  am I missing something -

Didn't say that.  I prefer my JBLs with bigger horns to those EVs (damn good speakers though).  The price on those LA, scalas was just right. I would have bought them just to hoard a pair and listen from time to time at that price. 

21 minutes ago, RandyH said:

Beautiful set up  ,just saw the picture on your profle -

Thank you. I tried LA scalas ONCE in the past (fully modded by Justin) and they weren't for me in my old small room at the time with what gear I had.   Now, the room is no longer a problem and I would like to try a pair again.  Subs to pair them with won't be a problem either... Just picked up some KP250s yesterday that I regretted selling whole visiting a friend as well. Doesn't always HAVE to be the biggest horn all the time to sound good.   Variety is key. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/15/2021 at 4:44 PM, Westcoastdrums said:

I just saw a post on that as well which I thought was ironic. 

On 9/15/2021 at 2:55 PM, Westcoastdrums said:

It can easily. Bargain indeed.  Would have picked those up for myself if the drive wasn't 6 hours each way from me. 

Yes indeed the mod is easily reversed leaving no external cosmetic traces.  TTBOMK, no one has reversed the mod, which is not to say it’s everyone’s cup of tea, or that it has never been reversed.  Of those I know of who have actually experienced the mod, no one has gone back to unmodified.

IMO, too much emphasis is placed on preserving the originality of decades old Klipsch speakers. Modifying a Klipsch speaker is not like putting a Chevy V8 into a rare Duesenberg (which would be sacrilege, not to be confused with heresy).  Restoring a tired old Klipsch speaker to perform better in your space (such as a large band practice room) makes sense, if not cents, and helps to keep the venerable Klipsch brand relevant.  

Since I placed the modified and refurbished La Scalas and refurbished KP250s in the band practice rooms at Birmingham Seaholm high school and Birmingham Derby middle school, respectively, hundreds, if not thousands, of musically inclined students have been exposed to the dynamic low distortion sound of Klipsch horn-loaded speakers.

To those who say these speakers are no longer Klipsch and should not proudly display Klipsch badges, I say humbug.  Who knows how many students, or their parents, saw the name Klipsch on the great sounding speakers as their first introduction to the brand?  A shoutout to Mike @MookieStl for supplying at no charge a copper plate Klipsch badge for one of the La Scalas.  If my geriatric memory fails me regarding Mike as the source of the badge, I invite correction, but still thank whichever forum member donated the badge.

post-6832-0-60120000-1423623361_thumb.jpg

1478372290_IMG_0596(Medium).thumb.JPG.a968480e6ae77e3222c6fd230579cbae.JPG

Derby 8.jpg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Since I placed the modified and refurbished La Scalas and refurbished KP250s in the band practice rooms at Birmingham Seaholm high school and Birmingham Derby middle school, respectively, hundreds, if not thousands, of musically inclined students have been exposed to the dynamic low distortion sound of Klipsch horn-loaded speakers.

Very nice. Just picked me up another pair of old kp250s. Missed them and wished I hadn't sold them. Fantastic little speakers. I suppose they will get the Dave A treatment at some point. 

00k0k_iYPSff2eQHUz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

• Like 2