Graphic Design question

Foxman

I had a guy that is a member of the church I pastor design 3 variations of the same logo that I hope to use in publishing and for personal application. We never discussed price and when I asked him what I owed, he said whatever you think it is worth. So.... now I am a bit stuck. I ran a google search and it looks like the going hourly rate for freelance work in my area is around $27 an hour. Does anyone have any experience with this that can guide me? I'd like to pay him for his work, but I don't want him to think I am lowballing him, but don't want to break the bank. I was thinking $100.00. Thoughts?

9 hours ago, Schu said:

part of your cost is that you are buying OWNERSHIP of the art piece.

any designer worth his salt would be asking for royalties... unless you pay a buy out option.

That is a great point. Ownership is the key. I do want to be fair. Thanks for your thoughts.

Ask the artist what the standard terms are for logos

do your own research first.

I would think a simple hand written bill of sale for the "logo and design work" would be sufficient, and paid in full on the check, important words.

Save a copy of the cancelled check stapled to the bill

The Logo can be registered as a trademark, a standard practice at least back to the Romans, and probably earlier

• Like 1

Man, I relate to your situation.

Had a neighbor (machinest) come to my home several times.  Create/weld a frame together to try to remove a kingpin from my backhoe.  Used (my) welder, let me borrow some of his tools....

When done....waited for a bill.....never came.  I asked him what I owed up to that point (I did NOT want to get a bill a month later for thousands of dollars which would not have surprised me)

HIs response....."Meh....pay me what you think it's worth"

That really put the screws to me.....  what "I" think it's worth and what HE thinks it's worth could be on two planets.....

I asked my neighbor (they are very good friends)  my neighbor said "Meh....  he likes you and he enjoys helping you....you bring him different challenges than his typical situation and he likes doing that, he's probably doing it for free"

Hmmmm......

Still Flummuxed.

I showed up at this guy's place one day, while he was busy, handed him an envelop.....  had 15 $100's in it.

We continued to do other projects....he's never asked for a dime.  I've stuffed another $500 in his pocket.

At the SAME time he (a widower) has received a (home made) cinnamon coffee cake on multiple occasions.  Today, I consider him a friend and am (finally) comfortable that he's enjoying the challenge and companionship.......and the cinnamon coffee cakes that I make for him (and others).

I really detest hearing those words "pay what you think it's worth".......  ugh.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Coytee said:

.......and the cinnamon coffee cakes that I make for him (and others).

In the for what its worth department... I'd like to be counted among the "and others" for that cinnamon coffee cake and we can call that even! 😀

On 9/16/2021 at 4:59 PM, RocketFoot said:

I am not a pro designer by any means, but here is my price list for reference...I charge by the project...not by the hour.

Logo design is $100 and up so your offer should be solid depending on how complex the design is...

https://webfinitydesign.com/graphics/

If I message you one of the graphics, would you judge the complexity of it and know what you would charge?

If I had that skill set ... I'd do it for free.   I'm not one to charge family or friends for helping them out. I was creating one for me once, the design was too complex for a beginner and I was SO frustrated with Adobe  Illustrator (zero training, just trying to learn on my own)... I used CorelDraw decades ago and actually prefer that to Adobe; but speaking from a user-friendly experience. Someone that knows Adobe probably feels differently. 

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

If I had that skill set ... I'd do it for free.   I'm not one to charge family or friends for helping them out. I was creating one for me once, the design was too complex for a beginner and I was SO frustrated with Adobe  Illustrator (zero training, just trying to learn on my own)... I used CorelDraw decades ago and actually prefer that to Adobe; but speaking from a user-friendly experience. Someone that knows Adobe probably feels differently. 

User friendly software

and this won't get you pregnant

the check is in the mail........

On 9/18/2021 at 6:57 AM, Foxman said:

In the for what its worth department... I'd like to be counted among the "and others" for that cinnamon coffee cake and we can call that even! 😀

Here you go....  Give it a try.  Can't put too many walnuts in it by the way.  I like a mix of some larger pieces (but not "halves" so I break them down a bit)

Recipe below is for a SINGLE cake, I always, always always ALWAYS double it.  I’ve got 4 fluted pans so I COULD make four at once….but I don’t.  Start to finish (make it, bake it, pull it out for cooldown to move to plate…is about three hours)

350º    41 minutes (my oven)  If the toothpick comes out slightly moist, that’s perfect.  It will finish as it cools

1-Cup Sugar

1 Stick Butter (let soften to room temp)

2 eggs

1-Cup Sour Cream

1 Teaspoon Baking Soda (mix these two items together PRIOR in a side dish, then add to mixing bowl)

2 Teaspoons Vanilla

2 Cups sifted flour less 2 tablespoons (Don’t know why, I stole this recipe from my mother)

1/4 Teaspoon Salt

1-Teaspoon Baking Powder

1 Cup coarsely chopped Walnuts

Sugar/Cinnamon mix on top prior to baking. (I use about 3 heaped soup spoonfuls on each cake)

Goes into one of those fluted Angle Food pans with the center cone that pulls out.

• Thanks 1

Oh, and don't move it to a plate until it cools.  It's pretty fragile while warm and can fall apart as you pull it off the fluted section of the pan.  Slide knife around sides, slide knife under it and two hands to pull up thumbs pushing down on flute.

If you screw it up, it will still be a tasty mistake.