Pioneer SX-950 or ATI 1502

Tarheel

Would like some thoughts on a second system that will rarely get used at a second residence.  The gear involved is a middle level, NAD CDP, two Teac R2Rs, a Denon DP-1250 turn table with Rega arm and a Ortofon Blue cartridge and home made LS/Altec speakers. 

For power the choices are an ATI 1502 amp (150wpc) with a Schiit SYS for volume control or a vintage Pioneer SX-950 (85wpc).  The Pioneer has jacks for everything including a phono.  The ATI has the power advantage but I would still need a phono pre to hook up to the SYS.

Yes I will probably try both eventually but wondering which way you folks would bet on for superior sound?

• Like 1

Hey Chuck how's everything in Wilmington? Good to hear you're going to be firing up the LaScala clones.

Try to find a used Transcendent Sound phono preamp to use with the ATI amp. You will not be disappointed.

I loaned the one I built to my buddy Bob to use with his Mac 225 and Cornwalls. He says his high end Micro Seiki TT has never sounded better.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, willland said:

The ATI 1502 is a beast of an amp and definitely has the power advantage but if it were me, I would keep it simple and go with the Pioneer SX-950.

Bill

That's my thoughts Bill.  One unit to hook everything up.  Nothing to buy.  I was at the point of looking at tube pre amps on usaudiomart everyday to hook up the ATI but then thought why.  The ATI did really sound good when I had a Quicksilver pre but it aged out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluesboy said:

Hey Chuck how's everything in Wilmington? Good to hear you're going to be firing up the LaScala clones.

Try to find a used Transcendent Sound phono preamp to use with the ATI amp. You will not be disappointed.

I loaned the one I built to my buddy Bob to use with his Mac 225 and Cornwalls. He says his high end Micro Seiki TT has never sounded better.

Hey Don I may look into that once I do some experimenting.  I'll call you and Roy out on the left coast tomorrow.

• Like 1