Looking to go ROON on a budget ? Sonic Transporter i5 (small green computer)

joessportster

Bought this as I was considering making the move to Roon, Instead I put Linux on my PC getting rid of windows and I am happy with the results. So I am not switching over.  Here is the info from the seller where I bought it.

"Sonictransporter I5 music server from Small Green Computer offered by original owner.  Mine doesn't have an internal drive for music, so you would need to use an external hard-drive.   I bought this a few years ago (maybe 2016?) and used it happily for 2 years until it died.   It was sent off the SGC, who replaced a board, and returned it to me a few months later.  However, being a impatient Type-A, I splurge on a more expensive server before getting this unit back.  It's been sitting in the pictured box since then.  I verified that it powers on, is recognized by the local network, and plays tunes, so it appears good to go. 
 No cosmetic issues, and as mentioned, it was gone over thoroughly by the folks at SGC. Seller pays USPS shipping within"

I powered it up and it seems to work as described except of course I do not have ROON..........Will sell it for 200.00 plus the fees and shipping

yes

yes

yes

Bought this as I was considering making the move to Roon, Instead I put Linux on my PC getting rid of windows and I am happy with the results. So I am not switching over.  Here is the info from the seller where I bought it.

"Sonictransporter I5 music server from Small Green Computer offered by original owner.  Mine doesn't have an internal drive for music, so you would need to use an external hard-drive.   I bought this a few years ago (maybe 2016?) and used it happily for 2 years until it died.   It was sent off the SGC, who replaced a board, and returned it to me a few months later.  However, being a impatient Type-A, I splurge on a more expensive server before getting this unit back.  It's been sitting in the pictured box since then.  I verified that it powers on, is recognized by the local network, and plays tunes, so it appears good to go. 
 No cosmetic issues, and as mentioned, it was gone over thoroughly by the folks at SGC. Seller pays USPS shipping within"

I powered it up and it seems to work as described except of course I do not have ROON..........Will sell it for 200.00 plus the fees and shipping

yes
yes
yes

Thats a heck of a deal , always liked the Sonictransporter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish I had known that Roon basically requires Internet access to operate steadily 

Other players like J-River you simply download it and you can then stay offline, I am checking around to see if I can possibly load Linux on the i5 transporter. If they say it is possible I will likely pull the ad and set it up that way

• 10 months later...