Home Theatre Decisions

firefighter

DA471EEC-75EF-48C7-974D-E6C827CE44D3.thumb.jpeg.b95857e340c4631487eb8143f0475e69.jpeg

First off Hi again,

long time member who has not posted in more than a decade. I've collected a few Klipsch speakers over the years; 4 pair of Heresy 1's and 2's, a pair of LaScala's, a pair of KLF 30's and a KLF C7 Center. I'm using the LaScalas for 2 channel but trying to figure out what to do about the home theatre. I just finished a living room slash home theatre remodel with in the wall wiring and will be using a single AVR located in an open wine closet which used to be a wet bar located in the back left corner of the room. I'm not looking for crazy volume but really clean sound. I will mostly be using the system for movies but appreciate detailed music

Problem, I bought the KLF's for home theatre and now realize the KLF 30's require a lot of power. No AVR in my price range ($1,000) comes close to what they need (200 RMS) and I don't have room for amps. Unless someone knows a solution to powering these beasts, the problem may pushed me in the direction of an all Heresy front. I'm also considering dual SVS subs on the front wall either the 2000 or 3000 series. No room for subs in any other location. The room layout kind of dictated what I can do.

I'm also looking for AVR recommendations for the Heresy's. 

LG 75" smart TV with CAT 5 direct to the router and 1 eARC HDMI to the receiver. 

Ok you'll have to help me out here. You say they don't require that much power but the specs are 200 RMS and 800 Peak. I've often heard too little power is not good for the speaker and can cause damage. I've also heard you should be pushing slightly more power than the speaker rating so no clipping and you have the head room in the power department.  

Well that dispels some of what I thought and by no means do I have this stuff figured out so an in-depth explanation might do more harm than good 😁.

What made me question the power for the KLF was I had them hooked to an older Onkyo receiver probably 65 or 70 watts RMS and when I turned them up the woofers barley moved. 

Some of the receivers in my price range are putting out around 95 to 110 watts RMS which is why I was thinking it’s not going to be enough.

40 minutes ago, firefighter said:

Ok you'll have to help me out here. You say they don't require that much power but the specs are 200 RMS and 800 Peak. I've often heard too little power is not good for the speaker and can cause damage. I've also heard you should be pushing slightly more power than the speaker rating so no clipping and you have the head room in the power department.  

That CAN be true if you are pushing an amp to its limits and having speakers that sensitive, you will be deaf before you will likely clip that amp. Also, movies don't require constant high power even if you do listen loudly.   You will use subs and I assume cross the speakers over above the subs?   The sub frequencies eat up all the amp power anyhow.   You can likely use your AVR just fine for movies.   If it gets very warm or hot, put a properly designed fan on top of it such as:

https://www.acinfinity.com/component-cooling/component-fan-systems/aircom-t10-receiver-and-av-component-cooling-fan-system-front-exhaust-17/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwnJaKBhDgARIsAHmvz6ehZr1EOW1QHwBhSCXq4z92VIRhso2IecoKX2dM6AUZs0E1fQMWBXEaAmGWEALw_wcB

• Like 2

1 hour ago, firefighter said:

Some of the receivers in my price range are putting out around 95 to 110 watts RMS which is why I was thinking it’s not going to be enough.

Few AVR's will put out 95-110 RMS all channels driven.  Most of those ratings are for 2 channels or 1 channel driven.  The cleanliness of the power is much more important than the wattage numbers.  There are plenty of people here that have single-watt configurations that would blow you away.

3 hours ago, firefighter said:

Problem, I bought the KLF's for home theatre and now realize the KLF 30's require a lot of power. No AVR in my price range ($1,000) comes close to what they need (200 RMS) and I don't have room for amps

If you are going to be running 2 subs along with KLF-30s/C-7 a mid-priced AVR should power that system nicely. 

• Like 1